Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 13:25   #256

Boat: 1987 Morgan 43
Re: Security - What do You Do ?

We'll be moving onto our boat shortly and since it's in the USA we'll keep our guns but I think it's a lot smarter to do all the things people have outlined to avoid being a target - lock up, don't leave things out, etc (we even have a really small dog that keeps and watchful eye on things). It seems like if you leave the USA it would be a lot more trouble than it's worth to have a gun on board.

That being said, how about a line heaving shotgun? line gun accessories, Bridger Shoulder Line Throwing Gun, Line throwing device, Line launcher, brass projectiles, float projectiles, shot lines, canister, training video That could be handy. You can supplement it with some flares. Then it's not a gun, it's a line heaving piece of safety equipment. I dunno if you could get away with that!
Old 06-11-2012, 16:46   #257
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

Parachute Flares As A Weapon
Bonfire Night Nov 5th
Yes I know its not allowed but I'd allready seen another red parachute flare fired and I thought the experience of firing a real flare would be of benefit if I actually need to do it in an emergency, so I got one of my old expired flares (2011) and let it off.
WOW it shocked me with the energy that it fired off with. I would suggest it would be a real deterrant if used as a weapon against an intruder, and of course its totally legal, you are supposed to keep these on board.
I am actually considering keeping the 3 other expired flares as security! I know that they are supposed to work after being immeresed in water etc but mine have been kept in the most ideal conditions (ie in a sealed watertight box at room temperature) so I reckon they will work for another 5 years, then I will have another lot of expired flares to replace them.
So Use your parachute flares as a weapon!
Old 07-11-2012, 00:47   #258
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
As to guns...yes, the "g" word, gungunsgunsguns........someone with a gun is difficult to rob, assault, rape, murder. Or stick in a concentration camp oven. The most dangerous guns are government guns, as the bloodsoaked history of the last century shows. It's why a certain country even made it part of their law, to keep the government honest. Well, that's gone by the board, as predicted by the very folks that made those laws way back when. If you're a cruiser and have one....keep it to yourself, and be wise. If you haven't....there are other ways to enhance defence, but none as good. And if you have decided to not protect yourself, be ashamed...you're the bait that encourages the scum to rob folks.
This is exactly the pro-gun nonsense that actually does more harm to honest gun owners like me. A rant about issues that have nothing to do with guns, a complete and utter mis-reading of history and nonsense like
Quote:
someone with a gun is difficult to rob, assault, rape, murder. Or stick in a concentration camp oven.
Again this adds nothing to boats and security and merely restates the posters personal domestic land based viewpoint.

sheesh.

Dave
Old 08-11-2012, 13:41   #259

Boat: OEM, proportional

Well, Mr Honest Gunowner, how would you explain to the folks claiming Guns'r'Bad that it's ok for you?

I didn't make a blanket statement "Thou Shalt Have A Gun Afloat", I just stated that armed folks are hard to harm, and that it would be the ideal solution for those with justified concerns about lowlifes boarding with violence. Sadly, the option has been mostly removed from them, so they must find some other ways to deal with their vulnerability.

I'm quite thick, so please explain to me how my reasoning causes harm for you as a gun owner?
Old 08-11-2012, 13:44   #260
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rodl--these threads always bring out the best..LOL.....

entertainment
Old 08-11-2012, 13:45   #261
CLOD

Boat: none

well .................. another joins the list

maybe best security is chosing who you "hang" with better!
Old 08-11-2012, 14:16   #262

Boat: OEM, proportional

If you mean avoiding problems before they become problems, good thinking 99! Sometimes problems come looking, and won't go away no matter how strongly you word your protest.

Back in the eighties of last century, our neighbour had to resort to a firearm, in a very civilised and "safe" and sleepy little bayside suburb of Brisbane.

A few doors up the street lived a drunken violent man, known for boozing up and bashing folks because he enjoyed it.

Our neighbour Brian (name changed to protect privacy) was elderly and had a serious heart condition. Mr BoozBash dreamed up some sort of grudge against Brian and fueled himself with some liquid courage and payed him a visit one afternoon. Brian was home with his wife and children when Boozy came up his front stairs yelling nonsense and promising Brian a thumping. With Brian's condition, being elderly and frail, that could easily have been a death sentence for him...and no telling what Boozy would have done to the missus and kids after, or how they would feed and house themselves if he were no longer able to.

Brian got out his pump-shotgun and racked in a shell, and told Boozy to buzz off and leave him alone. Boozy thought Brian was kidding, or that he was buckshot-proof, and came further up the stairs yelling he was going to put that shottie somewhere uncomfortable for Brian. Well, Brian fired a shot in the air, racked in another shell, and lowered the smoking muzzle to point at Boozy, telling him the next one was for him. Boozy finally got the message and retreated backwards down the stairs....but in his foolish pride stayed there still screaming and waving his arms. About this time the cops showed up and gave Boozy a free taxi-ride to the drunk tank (he was a regular) and had a chat with Brian. Brian declined to press charges if Boozy was kept out of his hair, and was permitted to keep his shottie and was not molested further.

Fast forward to our "enlightened" times.....Brian no longer has his shottie because apparently the things are too dangerous. If Boozy were still around to annoy peaceful old men, there would be nothing to stop him punching up a weak old man (perhaps, probably, causing him serious injury or death)...because the cops only show up after the trouble. Guns level the playing field....guns in the hands of people of conscience and principle are no danger to anyone except people with mischief on their minds......guns are not automatically a death sentence, they are wonderful things for calling someone's bluff, or snapping them back to sanity. Even if Boozy was too stupid to understand the sound of a racking shotgun, the reverberating thunder of a 12ga brought him back to more prudent behaviour. Nowadays, Brian would be limited to a club or a knife....and those are very risky things to use, even for pros, and there is less leeway and not much deterrence.

So, are you going to explain to me why my reasoning puts you at a disadvantage as an "honest gunowner"? Is there anything I've said that is faulty factually, logically, or morally? What do you think Brian should have done? Or should be allowed to do? What would you do?

I salute Brian....I was formerly a not very nice person, and would have given Boozy a mouthful of stock or a legful of birdshot, and that only if I was feeling particularly generous that day....and back then, would have been perfectly within my rights. Nowadays....not sure. Maybe something similar only much quieter, and buried the evidence in the garden/fed it to the pigs. Things have not improved....formerly, we had sovereignty to defend myself and had room to apply various options. Not now; it's either let the scumbag have his way with me or go all the way stealthily, or else end up with the farce of being sued for protecting my kin from a criminal. If I have my loved ones to protect, I'll do what has to be done and would support anyone else in the same situation. If you can legally have a gun aboard....bully for you, be smart and careful how you handle that thing. If you can't...well, there are other options but none as good as a gun. It's why governments have so many of them....power comes from the barrel of a gun, as Mao said.
Old 08-11-2012, 14:45   #263

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Maybe something similar only much quieter, and buried the evidence in the garden/fed it to the pigs.
Old 17-11-2012, 06:00   #264

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

I think its time this one died a natural death. For security a can of hair spray and a winch handle by the companion way hatch. If they come in spray thenm in the eyes and smack them on the head with the handle. Anything else you use wont have the same effect. I haveactualy used this system and it worked. Guns, tazers. hunting knives all these things can kill and if you kill someone then think about the court you will find yourself in it may not go in your favour. If you are anal about the security issues in sailing then the answer for you is take up knitting
Old 17-11-2012, 06:12   #265

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
I think its time this one died a natural death. For security a can of hair spray and a winch handle by the companion way hatch. If they come in spray thenm in the eyes and smack them on the head with the handle. Anything else you use wont have the same effect. I haveactualy used this system and it worked. Guns, tazers. hunting knives all these things can kill and if you kill someone then think about the court you will find yourself in it may not go in your favour. If you are anal about the security issues in sailing then the answer for you is take up knitting
I started this thread to get the subject under discussion, it tends to make others think, sometimes these thoughts go a little silly but most times they are entertaining.

Our security we took care of ages ago, however some have not.

Die a natural death? Nahhh not while we have visions of a hair-spraying winch-handler thumper in action LMAO!!!!

It only gets funnier!
Old 17-11-2012, 06:33   #266

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
I think its time this one died a natural death. For security a can of hair spray and a winch handle by the companion way hatch. If they come in spray thenm in the eyes and smack them on the head with the handle.
If you are anal about the security issues in sailing then the answer for you is take up knitting
Hmmmmm, spray them in the eyes with hair spray then stick them where exactly with the knitting needles? The mind boggles .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 17-11-2012, 11:33   #267
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
rodl--these threads always bring out the best..LOL.....

entertainment
I love this "rodl" Nauticalised :- Rolling On The Deck Laughing
Old 17-11-2012, 12:17   #268

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
For security a can of hair spray and a winch handle by the companion way hatch. If they come in spray thenm in the eyes and smack them on the head with the handle.
You forgot the lighter for the spark to turn the hair spray into napalm

Old 17-11-2012, 14:08   #269
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:

If you think hitting someone in the head with a winch handle carries no risk of fatality you are sadly mistaken. Either you hit them hard enough to knock them out, in which case you are certainly risking a range of trauma from severe concussion to death, or you don't, in which case you've just pissed them off. Casually knocking people on the head and having them go unconcious only to wake up with a bit of a headache later only happens in the movies. In real life it results in skull fractures and brain trauma, or worse. Better hope a hospital is near if you don't want them to die. Give me the lack of ambiguity of a big knife or machete any day, your assailant will be certain of your intended response and may back off if not armed with a gun. Winch handle has all the lethality and none of the intimidation of a machete.
Old 17-11-2012, 15:03   #270
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719
Well, Mr Honest Gunowner, how would you explain to the folks claiming Guns'r'Bad that it's ok for you?

I didn't make a blanket statement "Thou Shalt Have A Gun Afloat", I just stated that armed folks are hard to harm, and that it would be the ideal solution for those with justified concerns about lowlifes boarding with violence. Sadly, the option has been mostly removed from them, so they must find some other ways to deal with their vulnerability.

I'm quite thick, so please explain to me how my reasoning causes harm for you as a gun owner?
No but you also engaged in a pointless an ill informed rant about " government guns", concentration camps and so forth. These are whole swaths of complex history bring boiled down to a couple of gun nonsense quotes . Not to mention, your reaffirmation of the RIKA. A situation unique to the US. A study of countless risings and rebellion over the past 200 years shows that unfortunately, whether countries ban firearms on not has little to do with the availability of military firearms in a conflict. Guns don't keep governments in line. The Ballot box does, when the ballot box fails, it's a revolution that ultimately " solves" the issues and nobody has a problem getting arms ( unfortunately ).

It's this attitude, ie that's harms legitimate gun owners and reinforces in the public mind that there is a section of gun owners that believe solutions can be found at the end of a gun. Nobody protected " liberty" with a gun, they have typically protected it with their lives.

I have never argued against firearms. Guns are a legitimate sporting tool. I personally do not believe in any form of gun based personal protection. Nor have I ever been in any situation that would benefit from having a loaded weapon.

As to guns on boats , they are doubly useless, extremely awkward to carry officially ( outside the US) , and will almost never be to hand when you need them . They cause way more trouble in these situations then they are worth.

As to the " boozy" story , please I could relate several true stories where people were accidentally shot in a mistaken identify situation, a situation that were it not for the presence of guns, the people would have all walked away without harm. Everyone can pul stories out of a hat , it justifies nothing one way or the other

Dave

Tags
security