Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-08-2012, 03:52   #121

Boat: Irwin Citation 34
Re: Security. What do You Do?

The deck plate idea is awesome ! I'm on it... I've had my boat vandalized and had items stolen. My mooring field has an incident every few years when local kids break into boats looking for booze and small items. The took binoculars and a camera worth maybe $90 and left the $500 GPS untouched. The method of entry was to kick in the wooden wash boards. OK, I have some steel plate that, laminated to wood, should be enough to break ankles next time. I also plan one of those "Game Spotter" IR cameras at the spreader. That should help. I'd love to have the thieve's boat reg. #'s on film !

Old 16-08-2012, 08:09   #122
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1968 Cal 34, 1984 Catalina 22, 1987 Sanibel 18, 1968 Tanzer 16, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

This would also solve the g/f wanting a cat on board problem:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sonnyandelvis.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	45008  

Old 16-08-2012, 08:47   #123

Boat: OEM, proportional

The man is calling his gf's mobile and wondering why the alligator is ringing....
Old 16-08-2012, 15:32   #124
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
The man is calling his gf's mobile and wondering why the alligator is ringing....

rofl...
Old 16-08-2012, 19:01   #125
Lt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul
This would also solve the g/f wanting a cat on board problem:
LOL..
Old 24-08-2012, 00:14   #126

Send a message via AIM to chamouli

Out of all the posts I could have chosen to respond to, I chose this one. I couldn't help myself, some of the quotes, responses, and pics have been hilarious. "cat_man_do" that pic is a pvc-pipe work of art! I could just see a spotlight rigged to the top and a small motor that allowed it to randomly rotate to all entrances on the boat -port, starboard, aft - just keep em guessing!
I just registered on the site today. I will do a formal intro when I do my first "post" instead of my first response.
Just wanted to make one small point that seems to be vastly overlooked.

The Question Posted was: Security, What would you do?

IMO I think the first thing to do is determine what is absolutely without question the most important thing to you, in which you would place the most security around.

For me that's simple. It's my wife and daughter. It's not the dinghy, or the boat that I dream about owning in my near future. Once that is clear (a personal choice that each and every one of us should make in order to answer this question/post accurately) solutions are really quite simple.

The second thing when addressing security is realizing that no matter how much you plan, the general rule of thumb is that most security is designed as a deterrent and it is NOT absolute or without weaknesses. You eliminate the weaknesses to the level that you are comfortable.

Most common petty theft occurs when you are NOT there. Criminals want the path of least resistance. If there are other "options" around with lesser resistance, that's the one they will hit. So, locking things up and not leaving access wide open would be an intelligent deterrent for anyone to take.

Moving on. Overnight Security while onboard. Leaving some lighting on around access points OR having trip points to suddenly shower the area in retina burning glow are all legitimate steps, but first things first. ALL access points should be locked and all members onboard should also know emergency exits through all ventilation hatches if available. (This is for security of all types) The third deterrent I would recommend would be "visual contact". Small wireless cameras (Manufacture Hidden Camera, export home Spy Cams, trade wireless Security Cameras,wholesale wireless Surveillance Cameras) can be mounted internally at all access points, motion detectors trigger the system which takes your laptop out of sleep mode and displays each access point. This third step/deterrent is important if gives you the advantage. You know their numbers, where they are attempting access and gives you the precious time you need to make some decisions. All of which are deterrents.

- manually sound any alarms/air horns you have -
- use the vhf radio -
- either hide your loved ones (something else that should be practiced/drilled - I will post about these sort of exercises later and why they are important) or if experienced, arm them
- use the escape/ventilation hatch if practical to leave the boat (if not, continue..)

Now we move to the last step from a deterrent approach. If you have turned on the floodlights, and sounded alarms, and there are boats nearby you have probably succeeded in getting them to leave. (Monitor the video feed)

If not (and leaving the boat was not practical) you have locked your dinghy up, you have locked access points, alarms are blaring, and you almost have to have a welding helmet on to handle the glare from all the lights....and yet they keep coming.

The last deterrent is to present yourself in the most optimal position to confront your "attackers"....and here is where I will stop the input. At this point you have to make a decision about those you need to provide security for. I can only share with you that my choice would be based entirely on what the "intruders" do next.

Thanks for listening. This post isn't intended as a you must do this...instead, it was intended as how I would approach security and protecting what's important to me. Practical levels of deterrence for the monetary stuff - Ultimate levels of deterrence for the ones who can't be replaced.

And on that note: those of you with sailboats, and dogs.....(remember I am a newbie, and I am here to learn) uhhhh, where do they go to the bathroom?

Ron
Old 24-08-2012, 05:03   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Security - What do You Do ?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ron (chamouli).

Old 24-08-2012, 10:08   #128

GordMay - thanks for the Welcome!
Noticed in your profile "Cruiser Living on Dirt"
does that translate to whats under the hull (i.e. _ stuck on land) -or- a reference to the ultra light wallet?

regards,
Ron
Old 24-08-2012, 21:20   #129

Hi Ron (Chamouli) Welcome aboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamouli View Post
The last deterrent is to present yourself in the most optimal position to confront your "attackers"....and here is where I will stop the input. At this point you have to make a decision about those you need to provide security for. I can only share with you that my choice would be based entirely on what the "intruders" do next.
I'm reading you loud and clear on this point. My advice to anybody that even remotely thinks they might have a chance of being in this position is that they had better do some serious soul searching to determine ahead of time how far they are willing to go to protect loved ones and possession's. This way you wont have to make that decision when seconds may count.
I really hope it never escalates to that point. Just a little food for thought.
-Bruce
Old 24-08-2012, 22:05   #130

No doubt about it Bruce! No doubt.
Thanks for the welcome aboard, glad to be here.

Ron
Old 20-09-2012, 07:09   #131

A red laser pointer tells people they have been spotted and they dont know its not mounted on a firearm, if they persist a green laser will render them temporarily blind (but may cause permanent damage)
Old 20-09-2012, 07:21   #132

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeds View Post
A red laser pointer tells people they have been spotted and they dont know its not mounted on a firearm, if they persist a green laser will render them temporarily blind (but may cause permanent damage)
A simple way to do this is to mount a pen laser, <1W on your Binoculars. Look, then merely tap the buttton... Sights in itself well enough.
Old 20-09-2012, 10:36   #133

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookoutnw View Post
A simple way to do this is to mount a pen laser, <1W on your Binoculars. Look, then merely tap the buttton... Sights in itself well enough.
I bought a green one over here last week, these things are incredibly powerful certainly would confuse anyone who hasn't seen one before,,,,,
Old 20-09-2012, 12:24   #134
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Same approach as for protection from lightening strikes..

Park close to a BIG EXPENSIVE YACHT ...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 20-09-2012, 13:16   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
With the ongoing and never ending discussion of Piracy (really break and enter's at anchorages, armed and otherwise), security and self defence i have gleaned some worthy points and suggest the following.

Most sizeable possessions in our life we protect with alarms in one way or another, on some motor vehicles we setup tracking devices or at the very least the car comes equipped with entry alarms. With our boats we do little.

I put forward the following points interested to explore others ideas that may be added.

Secure/lockable: Hatches should have a removable bar inside preventing easy entry. Windscoops should be setup to provide breeze, Rain? Well they gonna be shut!

Cockpit: Motion detector from 2 sides scanning the main entry. This needs to be connected to a LOUD audible alarm and also connected to a relay to switch on ALL external lights. Maybe with a flasher?

Deterrent: Maybe a dog, short in leg big in Jaw, as someone said it's easier to check in a dog than a gun. Depends on your cruising style. I think most victims or marks are sussed out in daylight hours..

Notification: Flares, even out of dates can easily be placed near hatches or ports, thieves dislike becoming the centre of attraction it really is simple to shoot off a couple of reds out of a hatch if you are convinced you are in a situation.

Radar: If you have one set up a small circle around your boat setting the alarm off if anything/anyone comes into the area.

Radio: Establish a net, talk to others, LEAVE it on to protect them and yourself.

Innovation: I would like to see a remote flare launcher developed, one that is in the form of a tubular launcher that can be bolted externally and high up. Flares should be the Very Pistol style that can be fired but as in a revolver.
An Arming/Fire button inside would be the go. By the bed?

Weapons: Make up your own mind but one word of warning NEVER reveal your ace card without full commitment and ability to use it... We are all different.

Now you notice that all of the above is more effective if your boat is secure, if you sleep with the hatches wide open and the companionway door open then there's not much of this that can help simply because you may wake with a gun in your mouth.

Also notice that every one of the above items will assist and you have not stepped out of your boat to confront anyone.

Actually our Catamaran has an escape hatch in each hull, thats a bonus!!!!

Ok lets see some good ideas/smart ideas ones we can install to protect our being.
Please no electric fence rants

May I also suggest satellite guided ICBMs connected to light relay system.

Lasers

Oil slicks

A rake conveniently placed on dock next to boat with prongs facing upwards.

In toilet Arming/Fire button (for your cat with a toilet)

Cheers!

Tags
security

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: