Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-06-2013, 06:20   #406

Re: Security - What do You Do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
It always amazes me how many people will "Defend" their homes or in this case their "Boats" with guns against intruders.

Funny how little you read about people shooting armed intruders anywhere in the USA or on the high seas.

I guess the NRA isn't paying their PR guys enough, or maybe there just aren't that many bad guys breaking into occupied houses and boats?
Or, the guns are enough of a deterrent, and really works?
-Bruce

Old 23-06-2013, 06:37   #407

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Look up kennesaw Georgia, crime, guns for an interesting case study.
Old 23-06-2013, 06:56   #408
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
It always amazes me how many people will "Defend" their homes or in this case their "Boats" with guns against intruders.

Funny how little you read about people shooting armed intruders anywhere in the USA or on the high seas.
I disagree. In my 5 years cruising the world I've had to kill 20 or 30 intruders. Mostly black people, of course. And poor people. Damn hate them! The Caribbean and Bahamas are rife with them. Dunno how they breed with all the ones now floating off my stern, but they do, each year theres more. Bang Bang Bang... its a cacophony on my boat! Actually thats just one sound: 'bang' I should really say: 'Bang Splat'. Thats the cacophony.
But youse guys have RIGHTS. Doesnt matter what country you are in youse have gun rights for all cruisers. Its Rule 45 in most countries, or Rule 30/30, Rule 303 was in the Veldt but thats changed... but where I am its Rule 50.

It sickens me that I have to 'protect' myself (you know 'wink wink' protect) but I do. A man without a gun is no man at all! A sniveling little victim is all. So I have to protect ALL them snivelers. I goes out in the dink at night PROTECTED and I done shooting anything that moves just to protect them snivelers.

So much crime out here its bad! This country just the other day in the news was saying theres been an upswing of murders and thats just since I arrived!!!!!!! When you get here it'll be even worse!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 23-06-2013, 07:00   #409

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
The Monkey's Fist has collected about a dozen blog posts about security and safety precautions, written by cruisers/liveaboards - if you're interested : http://themonkeysfist.blogspot.com/2...-cruisers.html

And if you have a blog post to contribute, please let us know and we can add it!
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Old 23-06-2013, 07:09   #410

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Tonysail1, you said it brother! You should try living in the middle of all these gun nuts!
Old 23-06-2013, 07:11   #411
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I disagree. In my 5 years cruising the world I've had to kill 20 or 30 intruders. Mostly black people, of course. And poor people. Damn hate them! The Caribbean and Bahamas are rife with them. Dunno how they breed with all the ones now floating off my stern, but they do, each year theres more. Bang Bang Bang... its a cacophony on my boat! Actually thats just one sound: 'bang' I should really say: 'Bang Splat'. Thats the cacophony.
But youse guys have RIGHTS. Doesnt matter what country you are in youse have gun rights for all cruisers. Its Rule 45 in most countries, or Rule 30/30, Rule 303 was in the Veldt but thats changed... but where I am its Rule 50.

It sickens me that I have to 'protect' myself (you know 'wink wink' protect) but I do. A man without a gun is no man at all! A sniveling little victim is all. So I have to protect ALL them snivelers. I goes out in the dink at night PROTECTED and I done shooting anything that moves just to protect them snivelers.

So much crime out here its bad! This country just the other day in the news was saying theres been an upswing of murders and thats just since I arrived!!!!!!! When you get here it'll be even worse!

Nice Breaker Morant reference. "We caught them and we shot them-under rule .303!"

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 23-06-2013, 08:59   #412

We have these SS handholds that are perfect head high when you step over the combings to shortcut into the cockpit when canvas enclosure is down. I hit my head soo many times when we first bought the boat, cursing loudly-hard enough I had to sit (and I knew they were there!) I figure they will knock someone out & I'll sweep them out in the morning. LOL!!

Gloria
Old 23-06-2013, 09:05   #413

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysail1 View Post
You blokes in the US of A are so completely over the top. You have no idea how insane your gun totin rot sounds to sane people.
There ARE sane people in the US, you know. And lots of sane American cruisers. It's just that they don't hang out on Cruisers Forum "security" threads.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Old 23-06-2013, 09:13   #414

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Since this has degenerated. I find it odd that non u.s. citizens preach and rally against the u.s. constitution. I think the term used to be busy body. Maybe nosy Nelly across the pond.
Reminds me of the u.k. group that called people in Ohio in the middle of the night (time zones? What are those? ) to tell them which person to vote for in OUR election. Weird behavior.
Sailor g nice system! But I'm sure some would consider that cruel and unusual.
Old 23-06-2013, 09:27   #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Since this has degenerated. I find it odd that non u.s. citizens preach and rally against the u.s. constitution. I think the term used to be busy body. Maybe nosy Nelly across the pond.
Reminds me of the u.k. group that called people in Ohio in the middle of the night (time zones? What are those? ) to tell them which person to vote for in OUR election. Weird behavior.
Sailor g nice system! But I'm sure some would consider that cruel and unusual.
^^ Hear, hear! ^^ Somebody that gets it.
Seems our cousins across the small pond were working on the same plot in the mid 1700's, and some of them are still at it today?
Sour grapes, I say.
Funny, they didn't seem to mind our guns in WW II.
-Bruce

Old 23-06-2013, 09:40   #416
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
Funny, they didn't seem to mind our guns in WW II.
-Bruce
Nor did you mind ours in WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf 1 and 2, and Afghanistan... where the UK and Aus are still there but the US aint.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 23-06-2013, 09:53   #417

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
or maybe there just aren't that many bad guys breaking into occupied houses and boats?
The Armed Citizen Blog | by: NRA Staff
Old 23-06-2013, 20:40   #418

Boat: Bayliner 3988 MY

Tony. I see you are an Aussie so I understand your position because your Prime Minister Banned most guns to increase public safety.
How's that working out for ya?
Oops nevermind, I found it.

Since Australia banned semiautomatic rifles, shotguns and pump action shotguns the gun crime rates have skyrocketed throughout the country.
  • Murders committed with guns increased by 19%.
  • Home invasions increased by 21%.
  • Assaults committed with guns increased by 28%.
  • Armed robberies skyrocketed with an increase of 69%.
So, do what you want, believe what you want but if I must defend my home someday I am not going to ask the bad guy what he is carrying or rummage in a locker for wasp spray because it is politically correct.
I will bring a gun to a knife fight because the objective is to win, not to be fair.

Yes, I am Canadian and a lot of people believe we have strict gun laws.
The fact is that we don't. Our laws are far more permissive than many US States. In the US you have to go to a gun shop and get a background check to buy a handgun. Some states impose a waiting period.

In Canada you can order online and the postman delivers it right to your door. The best deal right now is a Norinco 1911 .45 auto and 1000 rounds of ammo for $499 with free shipping. And we have no ammo shortage like the US right now.

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...ds-combo-deal/

I apologise to my fellow Canadians on the site for spilling the beans about the "Strict Gun Control Laws" in Canada. Maybe no one will notice.
Old 23-06-2013, 21:02   #419

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

One of the saddest things about today's politics is the willingness of many players on all sides to simply make stuff up and continue to repeat it, even after the facts have been exposed. And with the internet lies do get repeated a lot, like in the previous post.

FACT: according to the Australian government homicides have dropped since the radical gun laws were passed in 1996 and 2002 as a result of mass killings in those years. 1996 homicide deaths:354 2010 homicide deaths: 260. The proportion of homicides by firearm dropped 18% as well.

That is the Aussie government, so I'll take their word for it.

There are legitimate arguments on both sides of the gun control debate, and neither should resort to telling tales...

Greg
Old 23-06-2013, 21:07   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Nor did you mind ours in WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf 1 and 2, and Afghanistan... where the UK and Aus are still there but the US aint.
So then, why are you minding ours now?
PS, Gary, NICE!
-Bruce

Closed Thread

Tags
security