Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-11-2012, 10:10   #301

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Security - What do You Do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi View Post
I am tending to favor defensive strategies. I had intended to install a net on the lifelines to keep my bunnies in (see my other thread). I hadn't seen it as a defensive measure. It's cool that it can be improved by rigging it to an alarm system. I believe most scumbags don't like sirens and floodlights. Both are in my plans.

I'm not impressed with swords or even machetes, too hard to use in close quarters but they would be usable on deck. My favored weapon was a sawed off shotgun, to legal limits, of course. It can disable a few boarders if they are grouped and even in a confusion it is hard to miss. That was what got me in trouble, an old sawed off Stevens single shot.
Your posting appears to be edited but i wondered what front you show for a Officer to say that to you?

In our realm you need a license for said gun, if it's not locked away safely you better be at a gun range.

If sawn or modified in any way you better like porridge......

Old 19-11-2012, 10:34   #302

Boat: looking to buy
I edited because I felt in relating another incident that I was hyjacking the thread.

In the US we don't register hunting weapons, shotguns and rifles. The legality of the weapon was never questioned. Check the web for the legal limits to sawing off. Maybe in other countries it's illegal but not in the US. I sawed it for the above posted reason, to make it usable for defense on a boat, NOT to rob a local convenience store.

My gun was never taken from me. I left it when I left Florida to live with my family due to the psychological damage the incident had caused in me.

The real scumbag in all this (in my opinion) was the prosecutor. Unless I'm mistaken, he has the option of dropping or pursuing any case.

Old 19-11-2012, 10:41   #303

For sure, i guess because this is an international forum it raises questions regarding carrying weapons, i visited Florida a year ago and was surprised when told of the high amount of guns carried.
Cruising boats must go gently wherever they go as theres just too much to lose violating local laws wherever that may be.
Cheers
Old 19-11-2012, 11:05   #304
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Check the web for the legal limits to sawing off.

In the US it's 18", not much of a reduction. Many shotguns come stock with an 18" barrel, and thus cannot be sawn off. 18" barrel is still too big for easy interior use, unless you have stepped up to a bullpup design. What you want for the shotty effect indoors is a Taurus Judge (revolver that fires 410 rounds) or if you have connections an OTs-20 Gnom. This is the successor to the old russian Nagant revolver, it fires 12.7mm shotshells. Several interesting varieties of ammo are available, but it's a very rare weapon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	49953  
Old 19-11-2012, 12:29   #305

Boat: looking to buy
I checked wiki just now and see that other countries have different laws regarding sawing. I'm sure I read the US law before I sawed it. Erring to be on the safe side I'm quite sure I made it 19 instead of the US legal 18.

I have to disagree with you about its usability in confined quarters. 19 is a LOT more maneuverable than its original length of 29 or 30. I don't recall sawing the stock though that is also allowed.

A 12 gauge shotgun is truly terrifying. It gives the impression of being on the wrong end of a canon. That alone is a real deterrent.
Old 19-11-2012, 15:00   #306
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

A 12 gauge shotgun is truly terrifying. It gives the impression of being on the wrong end of a canon. That alone is a real deterrent.

Oh, I agree. My fave right now is my folding stock 18" Saiga 12 with the 20 rd. drum. It's really short, fits in a small cabinet when folded up just fine. And it can throw out an absolute wall of buckshot with 20 rd.s on semi auto. Hard to get any more intimidating. Yes that's a 12 gauge AK-47.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0696.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	49965   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0693.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	49966  

Name:	100_0697.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	49967   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0699.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	49968  

Old 19-11-2012, 15:35   #307
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

are you guys sure that a Gatling gun wouldn't be more effective, just asking?

I'm pretty much a "lock the hatches" guy instead of a "lets battle" guy!

I will admit that your cannons are probably better than the wasp spray approach that is just going to really piss off your attackers.
Old 19-11-2012, 16:51   #308
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Presently we are wintered down in the Adriatic we intend to sail south to Greece and Turkey then over to Malta for next years winter. To carry a gun here would be stupid, it would invite trouble.

Secure/lockable: Hatches should have a removable bar inside preventing easy entry. Windscoops should be setup to provide breeze, Rain? Well they gonna be shut!

Cockpit: Motion detector from 2 sides scanning the main entry. This needs to be connected to a LOUD audible alarm and also connected to a relay to switch on ALL external lights. Maybe with a flasher?

Notification: Flares, even out of dates can easily be placed near hatches or ports, thieves dislike becoming the centre of attraction it really is simple to shoot off a couple of reds out of a hatch if you are convinced you are in a situation.

Innovation: I would like to see a remote flare launcher developed, one that is in the form of a tubular launcher that can be bolted externally and high up. Flares should be the Very Pistol style that can be fired but as in a revolver.

Weapons: Make up your own mind but one word of warning NEVER reveal your ace card without full commitment and ability to use it... We are all different.

Now you notice that all of the above is more effective if your boat is secure, if you sleep with the hatches wide open and the companionway door open then there's not much of this that can help simply because you may wake with a gun in your mouth.

Also notice that every one of the above items will assist and you have not stepped out of your boat
Ok lets see some good ideas/smart ideas ones we can install to protect our being.
Please no electric fence rants
We were in Greece last May (Mainland - Paxos - Corfu) It was very warm, do you sleep with the hatches open? We did and didn't feel we were in any way likely to suffer an attack. In this area we didn't hear of any crime except for one yachttie stealing from another boat.
Old 19-11-2012, 16:58   #309
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
are you guys sure that a Gatling gun wouldn't be more effective, just asking?

I'm pretty much a "lock the hatches" guy instead of a "lets battle" guy!

I will admit that your cannons are probably better than the wasp spray approach that is just going to really piss off your attackers.

More effective, yes. More convenient, definitely not! Those things weigh a ton. And that's without the ammo!

I just thought if we are going to have a gun thread there should be some guns in it...
Old 19-11-2012, 17:17   #310
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post

I just thought if we are going to have a gun thread there should be some guns in it...

It is not a gun thread.

It is about security.

And it seems pretty obvious that the "gun" part of it is pretty far down on the list of "What do I do first".
Always wanted to shoot one of those street sweepers.............
Old 19-11-2012, 17:39   #311
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
It is not a gun thread.

It is about security.

And it seems pretty obvious that the "gun" part of it is pretty far down on the list of "What do I do first".
Always wanted to shot one of those street sweepers.............

I know, just trying to provide entertainment. After 21 pages I think all the details have been fairly well discussed, especially since the subject has been discussed ad nauseum long before this thread. And for the record, for the umpteenth time, I am definitely not in the cruising with guns camp. But I do have a long standing grudge against watermelons!

The street sweeper IS a blast to shoot. Literally.
Old 19-11-2012, 20:45   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Oh, I agree. My fave right now is my folding stock 18" Saiga 12 with the 20 rd. drum. It's really short, fits in a small cabinet when folded up just fine. And it can throw out an absolute wall of buckshot with 20 rd.s on semi auto. Hard to get any more intimidating. Yes that's a 12 gauge AK-47.
IMPRESSIVE! You do of course realize that if you get into a gun battle with that as your primary, and loaded with buckshot, you stand a very high chance of sinking your own boat?
Just sayin............
BTW, a .22 caliber pistol would probably work well for defense.
-Bruce

Old 19-11-2012, 21:46   #313

Boat: Franz Maas 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
IMPRESSIVE! You do of course realize that if you get into a gun battle with that as your primary, and loaded with buckshot, you stand a very high chance of sinking your own boat?
Doesn't seem like an entirely bad idea in some cases.

A boat moored in the bay had a handwritten note pinned to the companionway door:

F**K OFF I'm sick, angry and drunk!

Certainly kept me away!
Old 19-11-2012, 23:20   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
We were in Greece last May (Mainland - Paxos - Corfu) It was very warm, do you sleep with the hatches open? We did and didn't feel we were in any way likely to suffer an attack. In this area we didn't hear of any crime except for one yachttie stealing from another boat.
We always sleep with hatches open, i left my wallet on the cockpit table in SIBENIK overnight, nothing gets touched here. The people have respect.

We have an advantage of being able to tie up with 1500mm between our sugar scoops and the wharf or dock due to a hydraulic 'PASSEROLE' this stops any unnoticed entry big time.

We have motion detectors and 2 cameras, doesn't matter where you go it only takes one desperate to steal to ruin the trip.

My whole idea to the thread was to see what degree people go to to protect there investment, there's always the tosser factor but they make you smile.

Cheers we head to Greece next year.
Old 19-11-2012, 23:45   #315
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
Just sayin............
BTW, a .22 caliber pistol would probably work well for defense.
-Bruce

I'm not really too worried about being boarded by watermelons...

Tags
security

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: