Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-07-2012, 00:14   #16

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Security. What do You Do?

Was considering a traversible cupola on the after coachhouse roof, right above the No. 1 seaberth, with a canvas hammock-seat under it, for taking nav sights and general observation without going on deck. Kind of like the perspex nav domes on old planes, only more robust. Saves running from porthole to porthole to see what's going on outside. Internal emergency tiller ropes can be routed to it, radio, signal/search light, flare launcher port, and was considering mounting a foot-operated bilge pump and pedal genny for keeping trim while chatting on the vhf...
Old 14-07-2012, 03:21   #17

Re: Security ..What do You Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
Other than a dog, I think the motion detector connected to alarm and lights is the best way to go, but I wonder how to avoid false alarms in any kind of windy situation. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has successfully used one.
Some motion sensors have settings to avoid [most] false alarms.

Ghost [http://www.gostglobal.com/] motion sensors also have a setting to limit the monitor range,so you can set it up to limit just to the cockpit.
Ghost also carries very neat sensors, including door, canvas, pull, and infrared beam sensors. And they're wireless...
Old 14-07-2012, 07:34   #18

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Going back to the High Intensity Discharge lights (HID), I have installed this model on several boats headed out cruising. They mount on the mast where the lower spreader joins it. Orient the light so that the lower edge of the floodlight (not spotlight model) fully illuminates the deck, and the balance lights up everything beyond. They are particularly good as worklights for multihulls. Side tying to an alongside dock, emergency lighting off your beam, or just turning the night into day. It is simple to say that no other commonly available marine-grade light comes near in effective lighting. HID lamps put out 2 1/2 times the lumens of halogen lamps, yet consume a third less current. The only real downside is the initial cost of the units, but the first time you turn them on, you establish the new neighborhood standard in lighting. There is another minor downside, being that they take a few seconds to ramp up to full brightness. For the bad guys, that simply translates as "What's going on? Oh FUDGE!". The neighbors and folks ashore are saying the same, which isn't a bad thing, either.

The panic switch goes to a common relay with double poles. Pulling down the lever (like a fire alarm) activates the relay, which in turn powers up the port and starboard deck lights. I, additionally, have these two lights as separate switched lamps available at my helm station to allow their use individually for working situations.

The alarm siren is available a lots of places. Be sure that it has a built-in driver to generate the siren or yelp. I use a conventional PA speaker with a programmable driver that uses a siren, then speaks (in English/Spanish/French, you choose which one or two) "Intruder Alert! You are entering a restricted area. Leave immediately!". The alarm is also hooked to the boat's security alarm system. Alarm systems are simple, 12 volt units that have multiple options for guard zones. This means you can be aboard, but if someone opens a hatch or locker in the cockpit (or elsewhere), or removes a dinghy or outboard, etc., all hell breaks out, the floodlights come on automatically and the alarm sounds. I use some old Radio Shack units, now out of production, but you can find equivalents on the web.

50 watt HID Boat Light - 6X6 square - 4500 lumens -12/24VDC - FLOOD 340'X340' - White - MagnaLight

http://www.123securityproducts.com/3...FSUbQgodIzEvdA

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...ource=googleps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panic switch.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	43420  
Old 14-07-2012, 07:44   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M
Rig a set of bright deck lights, such as high intensity discharge headlights to your spreaders and foredeck. Place two switches near your bunk, one to turn on the lights, the other to set off an alarm siren. You hear a bump in the night, on go the lights, turning night into day and alerting anyone conscious in the neighborhood. The second switch makes everyone else conscious. Bad guys are surprised. blinded, and no longer enjoying the element of surprise. I'm sure you can figure out what to do with the remaining blinded, befuddled idiots who are hanging around for the neighborhood to welcome them. The brighter ones left them on deck to greet the neighbors.

This is simple stuff. Bad guys need surprise on their side. Deny it.

http://www.magnalight.com/c-28-Boat-Spotlights.aspx
Funny the recent incident the raiders awoke the couple, all these defences aren't much use if they're standing by the bed !!

Dave
Old 14-07-2012, 08:11   #20

goboatingnow,

They don't work effectively for SEAL teams, ninjas or transported aliens either. Fortunately, according to reports by Noonsite, gCaptain, etc., most bad guys aren't that good at stealth. A prepared boat may have a better chance of success than most. You have the option of where on the spectrum you choose to be.
Old 14-07-2012, 08:52   #21

This thread got me looking for inexpensive systems that are currently available. The cool part of security systems is that they are mostly 12 volt dc systems, so we already have powerful battery backup aboard.

First, you need a control panel. Here's one at a good price (look for others, as well):
VISTA15P | Ademco 6 Zone Control Panel | Home Security Store

You will note that the actual working part is the small circuit board. The rest is a big, steel box, which you can trash. Save the instructions and circuit info on the door, though.

You will need a way to turn it on/off and to program it. Look for a wired keypad unit, available online (Sorry, I need to get back to work on my own boat, so you do some homework and maybe share with us?).

You don't need more than a few "guard zones", so the 6 zone unit is more than enough. Use one for the "panic" circuit (anyone trying to mess with the alarm system itself, sets off the system. Use another for the area you actively inhabit during the night, so you can guard the rest. Use another zone for lockers or hatches that are available to intruders (say, some neighbor looking in your lazarette for your dock hose). Use another for specific items you want to protect (a magnetic switch connected to the cowl of the outboard motor). Someone cuts the wire or pulls off the connecting cable - instant alarms!

Put the appropriate switches where you need them, connect them to the control panel.

Connect the alarm siren (mount another inside to make things really ugly for the bad guys) to the control panel.

Add the accessory (spotlights, phaser array, etc.) to whatever you also want to go off.

The instructions are somewhere on the web, as well as all the materials. It's simple enough to do yourself, and not that costly. Especially when considering the options.
Old 14-07-2012, 08:58   #22

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

It seems to me that the key to any system is the early detection of the intruder, preferably before they are fully on the boat. Yes, lights and sirens are the way to go, but you need to get them on early: if the perps are already inside, or have already cut the dinghy lock, this could mean problems. If your dinghy is hanging from davits, the perps never have to get on the boat and would likely not trip a motion detector. So, it would seem to me that some sort of mechanical "trip cord" connected to the dinghy and also running around the entire perimiter at the lifeline (what if the perp pulls himself up on the bow) that would trigger the siren/lights should be the first line of defense. Of course you could then also have the panic button in the berth and motion detectors if they somehow fail to trigger the perimiter.
Old 14-07-2012, 09:04   #23

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
It seems to me that the key to any system is the early detection of the intruder, preferably before they are fully on the boat. Yes, lights and sirens are the way to go, but you need to get them on early: if the perps are already inside, or have already cut the dinghy lock, this could mean problems. If your dinghy is hanging from davits, the perps never have to get on the boat and would likely not trip a motion detector. So, it would seem to me that some sort of mechanical "trip cord" connected to the dinghy and also running around the entire perimiter at the lifeline (what if the perp pulls himself up on the bow) that would trigger the siren/lights should be the first line of defense. Of course you could then also have the panic button in the berth and motion detectors if they somehow fail to trigger the perimiter.
But what good are lights and sirens if you can not take the next step and defend yourself or your property,,,,do you think someone in a third world country gives a f--- about lights when they know they can get away with it??

there are other step after the lights and sirens,,,,,do you ahve a place to hide on your 40 foot boat that someone can now kick in the door????? did not think so. So after the lights and sirens go off then what?????
Old 14-07-2012, 09:06   #24

You're absolutely right, Jerry. That's the beauty of these systems, that they are so flexible and simple. No passive infrared detectors that the night heron can set off. Someone needs to open a hatch, cut a wire, or even step on a mat to activate the alarms. You can program if the alarm to the particular zone is instant, or if it gives you a thirty second chiming reminder that you have to punch in the alarm code before hell breaks open.

They can also be easily set up to announce if there is a fire or the bilge level exceeds a critical level. Those things that worry us when we aren't there to attend to them. But, enough, I really have to get back to work now.

Arghh! CaptainKJ caught me before I could sign off. What do you think the phaser array and tactical nuclear weapons are for? Come on, let's make this thread crazy again. Good luck guys, I'm really signing off now.
Old 14-07-2012, 09:16   #25

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
But what good are lights and sirens if you can not take the next step and defend yourself or your property,,,,do you think someone in a third world country gives a f--- about lights when they know they can get away with it??

there are other step after the lights and sirens,,,,,do you ahve a place to hide on your 40 foot boat that someone can now kick in the door????? did not think so. So after the lights and sirens go off then what?????
I would argue that with lights and sirens going off, they are much less likely to enter the cabin and rob you or do you harm. Regardless, the earlier the warning you have, the more time you have to get your [insert your favorite weapon here]. No, this system is not going to protect against Somali Pirates with machine guns, but it seems like a pretty good deterent for 99% of the boat crimes out there.
Old 14-07-2012, 10:28   #26

You can harden your boat and run sensible procedures to make it necessary to need mg's and rpg's to get aboard and take control. Stay away from the places where those things can happen and you have good reason to sleep safe at night.

Thanks RoyM, that's the kind of thing I'd be looking for. I like the cut of your jib; I'd feel a little better anchoring near you with your mindset.
Old 14-07-2012, 10:45   #27
Nearly an old salt

I really think if I have to sail ( after doing for for 35 years) with a "hardened" boat and perimeter detection etc, Id just give up and stay at home.

Ive been all over , I've never done any of these things and I don't intend to start now. I stay away from trouble, I keep alert, but after that I go as I go.

Dave
Old 14-07-2012, 10:48   #28
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
exactly +1 KJ, why do people assume that a few lights an a noise will deter anyone, in a quiet or near desolate anchorage.
Old 14-07-2012, 10:49   #29
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
So, it would seem to me that some sort of mechanical "trip cord" connected to the dinghy and also running around the entire perimiter at the lifeline
right this and the flux capacitor would be rigged up together

dave
Old 14-07-2012, 11:33   #30

The next 35 years of sailing the world are not going to be like the last 35.

The scary reports of folks waking up to an armed thug standing over their berth prompt threads like these, and the responses which are cheap, reliable and effective and don't turn you into a hermit are not foolish.

Consider that the typical cruising boat is one that was designed and fitted out for intermittent sailing not far from the comforts and security of the safer civilisations on the planet. Taking that boat to where the cops aren't so diligent or trustworthy and the crims are nastier, and not doing a thing to prepare for the different safety requirements is irresponsible. I'm not advocating you sail a fortress on a war footing, just don't be such easy pickings that the scum of the world see cruisers as a guaranteed easy mark. It might be easy to board your boat with or without your knowledge, and with my visible precautions the riffraff are likely to pass me by and go for you....but if I notice this happening I would not be comfortable with putting my telescope to the blind eye. "Bugger you, Jack, as long as I'm all right" is NOT in my philosophy, even if I have to help the selfish out of their own messes.

Tags
security