Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-10-2012, 08:33   #226

Re: Security - What do You Do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post

In the true spirit of calling a spade a spade, it must be said that largely, the gun toting sailors of the world are from the USA. Once upon a time, the way in which some people chose agression as their main form of security was regarded as merely quaint.

Now, as the world moves forward, 'quaint' is not the word to use. The discussion takes on a fundamentalist zeal, which can be quite disturbing for someone such as me, who will not have any form of explosive weaponry on board. In so many cases the carriage of guns makes international criminals of those who choose to break the laws of countries they visit by neglecting to declare weapons.

That in itself says something about those who do carry guns surruptitiously into the homelands of their hosts.
Reading your wording here, lets leave out the words gun, guns, etc. it really sounds like you have a problem with America & Americans altogether. I have met people from OZ before, and we generally became friends. Oh, and one the first things they usually want to do is ask how find the shooting range. Thankfully they don't seem to share your attitude.
I'll tell you what, you promise to never come to America where all us evil people seem to exist (in your mind) and I promise to never visit you in OZ.
-Bruce

Old 13-10-2012, 18:30   #227
Lt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
Reading your wording here, lets leave out the words gun, guns, etc. it really sounds like you have a problem with America & Americans altogether. I have met people from OZ before, and we generally became friends. Oh, and one the first things they usually want to do is ask how find the shooting range. Thankfully they don't seem to share your attitude.
I'll tell you what, you promise to never come to America where all us evil people seem to exist (in your mind) and I promise to never visit you in OZ.
-Bruce
+1......

Old 13-10-2012, 21:23   #228

Boat: Franz Maas 37

What a leap! From I'm not big on guns, to hating America.

This is exactly the sort of fundamentalist claptrap which peppers this style of dispute. Mate, I don't use guns (and haven't bothered with them since I left the military). You do. So bloody what! I'm not arguing one way or the other, merely stating a position on the futility of trying to change the mind of people irrespective of the camp in which they reside.

You can either accept that in the manner it was presented, or you can go looking for any tiny morsel which feeds the strange paranoia which makes those with a different view to yours, enemies, rather than just ordinary people with a different view.
Old 13-10-2012, 22:02   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
What a leap! From I'm not big on guns, to hating America.
Well, You made the leap when you generalized Americans in the way you did. I quoted your words direct. If I sounded a bit offended, its probably because I was & am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee
This is exactly the sort of fundamentalist claptrap which peppers this style of dispute. Mate, I don't use guns (and haven't bothered with them since I left the military). You do. So bloody what! I'm not arguing one way or the other, merely stating a position on the futility of trying to change the mind of people irrespective of the camp in which they reside.
And now my comments are claptrap? WOW! You very much remind me of the ongoing progressive liberal commentator that are loosing ground daily because folks are waking up to their slanted & spun commentaries.
-Bruce

Old 13-10-2012, 22:29   #230
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Just popped in to see if there is anything new in the sailboats and guns debate.

Nope...
Old 13-10-2012, 22:38   #231

Boat: Franz Maas 37

^Yup...exactly the point I was making.

Now I'm going sailing.
Old 14-10-2012, 04:10   #232
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
And now my comments are claptrap? WOW! You very much remind me of the ongoing progressive liberal commentator that are loosing ground daily because folks are waking up to their slanted & spun commentaries.
-Bruce
Gotta remember that this is a worldwide forum - lots of people are in places where they don't live in fear (real or imagined) 24/7. Therefore hardly surprising that folks can't understand why others need the comfort (blanket?) of a gun, especially as they (as you have) somehow managed to say alive in this scary world .
Old 14-10-2012, 08:48   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Gotta remember that this is a worldwide forum - lots of people are in places where they don't live in fear (real or imagined) 24/7. Therefore hardly surprising that folks can't understand why others need the comfort (blanket?) of a gun, especially as they (as you have) somehow managed to say alive in this scary world .
Well, It seems that this thread has been turned from a "Security - What do you do?" thread into an anti gun, political podium. Now who did that I ask?
Now if we could get back on topic and discuss what people actually do for security, instead of a Boo, Hiss, anti gun platform. Fact of life, some people use a gun for security.
-Bruce

Old 14-10-2012, 16:32   #234

Boat: Hunter 410 41'

If the exterior electronic deterrants fail we have our third crewmember, who is a good judge of character and has teeth. She is a force to be reckoned with, especially if my best mate is threatened. See attached.

Then we have other sources of defense less than guns but effective at close range.

I believe you have to be prepared for the unexpected and responsible for yourself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	48302

Name:	P5120091-1.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	48303
Old 14-10-2012, 17:19   #235
Lt.

To quote an old dead US president "Walk softy and carry a big stick."

Basically have a good alarm system, but don't go crazy like your expecting a fight, because you should avoid the fight to begin with. But a good loud alarm and some bright lights up on the mast to illuminate the deck, then a sturdy door to each cabin and then a heavy duty hatch to the below decks and your set for the average robber.

After that keep a flare and fire extinguisher with you inside. Shoot them with the flare them scare the s*** out of them and do damage control with the extinguisher incase they keep coming Because if they don't run off after the lights and music, then they probably mean to do serious harm for any of a million reasons. And if need be beat them with the extinguisher.

So far nothing that you should need a permit or anything to own, or shouldn't be readily available anywhere in th world in my plan of defense, plus all of that stuff seems to be standard equipment on most boats. I suggest investing in some maglites (thats the name of the brand, I'm not misspelling) as well because they're bright, incredibly durable, and they make a great whoopin stick.
Old 14-10-2012, 17:30   #236

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

The old-fashioned American Way!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sonnyandelvis.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	48306  
Old 14-10-2012, 18:01   #237
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Here in the USA, we have the anti-gun nuts, and we also have the pro-gun nuts. In my mind they are both crazy. I think somewhere in the middle is where we want to be.

Now the question is, how do we feel safe without going to extremes on ether end. Thats going to depend on each of us and our beliefs.

Some feel safer when going through the airport, getting frisked, and x-rayed, while I believe, we are no safer. Some of us just feel safe because of we have given up some of our freedoms. For me, I would rather have my freedom.

We could all build a shelter what would prevent anyone getting to us to harm us. Unfortinatly it also will keep us from experiencing all that life has to offer. Now what you want as an individule is up to you. There have been alot of good sugestions, as how to protect yourself on your boat, some have chosen to arm themselfs and others have chosen not too.

I personally like owning a gun, it makes me feel more secure, I know how to use it at an expert level. I have chosen a number of other meens of security that come before the gun comes out. For me the gun is a last resort. I also believe that unless you can use a gun at least at a proficient level you should not have one.

While on my boat I let anybody that comes aboard to stay for a few days, know that I have a gun on board. I show it to them and ask them if they know how to use a gun. I have had expert gun handlers to extreme anti-gun people on my boat. Most of the time the anti-gun person has never even held a gun, little lone shoot one. So while we are out in a remote place EVERYONE gets his or her chance to shoot it. The best way to turn an anti-gun person into one that at least can tolerate guns is to let them use one in a safe and constuctive way.
Old 14-10-2012, 18:15   #238

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
...I would rather have my freedom.
Old 14-10-2012, 18:36   #239

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I am a very well armed liberal who likes to shoot deer, geese, etc. and eat them

But having a gun on a boat is a pain right in the ass if you go anywhere other than the USA. We are the only country I have ever been to where it is OK to wander around with rifles and pistols at the ready. Everywhere else they put you in jail for doing that. Whatever security you may feel from being armed is completely wiped out by the insecurity of wondering if the next cop you see will find your gun and end up putting you in jail. Jail really sucks. Nuff said.
Old 14-10-2012, 20:26   #240
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Easy Auzzie. Most of us yanks love you folks for what and who you are. Some of us are scared sh**less of furriners and their ideas that don't match their own. Fortunately, they don't get out much, while the rest of us do (or hope to). I hope to hang out with you some day in a foreign shore and have a good laugh about these antics and rhetoric.

Tags
security

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: