Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2010, 15:19   #1

Boat: Catalina 34' - Herodotus
Security Overkill ?

What do you guys think?

SV Gallant Fox: Marine Services Part II - Man of Steel

Sailing into foreign waters - necessary? Or are we still kumbayaing down island?
Preposterous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 15:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Whether necessary or not, effective security bars are a good idea.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 15:42   #3

They mention in the post that they left one hatch without security bars, citing escape if the boat begins to sink.

Where would one go about to have these made? A metal fabricationist? Is this even a word? I suppose METAL SHOP might be better. Though they look pretty as all get out.
Old 23-08-2010, 16:34   #4

Neat but I can think of many things I'd rather spend the time and energy on.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 17:37   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Not needed in 99% of the harbors, but if it makes you feel better the other 1% go for it. I personally try to avoid cruising to places that require such measures, and if I have to go there I spend as little time as possible. Your best security is talking to other cruisers about the latest issues.

I think of a time when I was installing something and I drilled a hole that went through a bulkhead and right into an unfused battery cable and of course the drill bit managed to create a direct short. The burning insulation filled the cabin with smoke so quickly that I couldn't see much of anything and I was luckily able to physically rip the wires off the batteries using a rubber hose. I wouldn't want to have to escape from a smoke filled boat with several exits blocked by steel bars.
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 18:50   #6

I dunno. The metal is shiny but, it does not look all that strong a setup to me. A swift kick from some burly thug and they are in. The metal may be strong but the wood and/or fiberglass it is attached to I think might give way. The thugs could still point a gun at them and see what they are doing too. I like the idea of someone who comes onto my boat not knowing where I am or what defenses I may have planned for them. But, if they sleep better at night it may be worth it for them.

Capt. Mike
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 23:21   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I have been in a boat with bars and its hideous. Feels like living in Baghdad.
Also our hatches can be locked from the inside so they are just cracked.
A criminal would need to be pretty brave to drop down a verticle hole into a dark interior.

But we have a good air-flow companionway hatch

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 19:34   #8

WOW, hard to follow that! May I ask a security question, hope it's appropriate, someone mentions surprises in store for an intruder above, what liability do you have off shore and in other countries Mexicao, bahamas, Canada...(around here) if you have a surprise and someone kets a little too much of tht 12V coil juice? Do officials board your boat at night (I realize if they think you're a bad guy, but does it happen) unannounced? And lastly, I know this is a big one, what about a gun on board, what hassel is it in this hemisphere? Thanks!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 19:47   #9

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
There have been a rash of outboard motor thefts from the bay where I moor in Hong Kong. So, a couple of weeks ago at 4am I heard light footsteps on deck, checked and saw one fellow and charged out with a boathook and hearty challenge to the intruder. Who seemed only capable of saying 'sorry' repeatedly until he identified himself as a plain clothes officer. I asked for ID which he had and told him he shouldn't be creeping about on private yachts in the wee hours.

The locked doors, secured dinghy and boat hook seemed to work pretty well. But the best bit was my bloodcurdling Braveheart scream as I lunged out of the cabin - I think the poor fellow needed to change his shorts...
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 20:38   #10

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post

The locked doors, secured dinghy and boat hook seemed to work pretty well. But the best bit was my bloodcurdling Braveheart scream as I lunged out of the cabin - I think the poor fellow needed to change his shorts...
woulda worked better if you'd been in a half naked in a kilt and had a real claymore..<G> Blue face paint optional..
zopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 21:26   #11

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
All the way around the world, we never needed any security bars on Exit Only. We always locked the companionway doors at night. Kept the rest of the hatches cracked in rain position for ventilation. We used the fans if necessary.

If I needed bars on Exit Only, I would not go cruising.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 23:23   #12

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Anyone familiar with Hong Kong will know that every apartment has a S/S security door - the cost of which is very cheap for this mass market. I have a combination of three elements all in S/S - a security grill, a mosquito screen and a 16mm acrylic weather panel - all slide up lifted by solenoid operated pneumatic rams. Was not done for Hong Kong which has to be one of the world's safest places but for ports further afield.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 05:47   #13

Quote:
WOW, hard to follow that! May I ask a security question, hope it's appropriate, someone mentions surprises in store for an intruder above, what liability do you have off shore and in other countries Mexicao, bahamas, Canada...(around here) if you have a surprise and someone kets a little too much of tht 12V coil juice? Do officials board your boat at night (I realize if they think you're a bad guy, but does it happen) unannounced? And lastly, I know this is a big one, what about a gun on board, what hassel is it in this hemisphere? Thanks!
Christ. This is making me relive my time at law school.

I do not know what the law is in other countries, but in the litigation-happy United States (actually, this cited case occurred in England, but I wanted to make a point - subtle), one must place a sign warning on the 12V coil juice running through those lines. I suppose it needs to be in Spanish as well, depending on the countries you are visiting.

It appears that the whole "I wonder what's in that deep dark hole" might be the best deterrent for hatches, while something like what MarkJ posted (a secure, yet warming set of security bars), might be the ticket.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:47   #14

So, hanging a sign and just laying out a few strange looking wires, maybe attaching them to a few metal objects might do the trick? DANGER-HIGH VOLTAGE
Old 05-09-2010, 12:54   #15

Sorry to have mentioned the "G" word above. I found a thread concerning firearms, probably keep it onboard here in the states, and mail it home when I head south. Thanks to folks here, my views have changed! Not worth the effort, trouble and problems. Some custom made hatch covers will go on my list. Thanks!

Tags
security