Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2017, 21:30   #1
Registered User
 
Bigjim's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Waukegan, IL
Boat: Cal 27
Posts: 143
Images: 3
Security in foreign ports

I have always wondered what cruisers do in foreign ports. How do you secure a sailboat against someone coming aboard to steal your stuff or the boat when stopping in a unfamiliar area?

Once I had sailed into a port and tied up to the public pier and my girlfriend and I went out to breakfast. When we came back an hour later the boat was gone and a racing fleet had taken over the pier. We eventually found the boat, since they moved it down the Pier to make room for the other boats, but it could have been much worse.

How do you leave your boat in a foreign port alone? At a pier? At anchorage? At a mooring can? What do you do for your dingy or tender? A lock will never stop a professional thief. A strong lock simply means they will break your door or the hasp. They will get in.

But I'm more concerned with coming back to find the boat still there. What do you do?
__________________

__________________
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 03:40   #2
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,869
Images: 1
Re: Security in foreign ports

Foreign ports or at your home port,- there may not be any difference in your security need. The big difference is that you are familiar with your home area and you know what to expect. It's likely that you are also familiar with some location near your home area that you would be hesitant to leave your boat because the location is less secure.

This difference in location is true in most well populated areas. "Location" is a big factor related to security. It's no different than life on land. I'm sure there are places in Chicago where many don't go and other places where people feel secure.
__________________

__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 05:52   #3
Registered User
 
Bigjim's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Waukegan, IL
Boat: Cal 27
Posts: 143
Images: 3
Re: Security in foreign ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Foreign ports or at your home port,- there may not be any difference in your security need. The big difference is that you are familiar with your home area and you know what to expect. It's likely that you are also familiar with some location near your home area that you would be hesitant to leave your boat because the location is less secure.

This difference in location is true in most well populated areas. "Location" is a big factor related to security. It's no different than life on land. I'm sure there are places in Chicago where many don't go and other places where people feel secure.
At my home port the pier has a gated fence. We can walk to our car in a lighted parking lot. But this only keeps honest people honest. In most destinations there is a mix of accommodations, from open public piers to guest docks and cans, water taxis and open anchorages. From what I see, there is a mix of costs from $/ft fees to free, if you throw your own anchor out.

I'm trying to get a cross section of ideas and experiences from people who have done it. This could be a story about a good or bad experience or the precautions skippers take in various ports or places
__________________
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 06:33   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably and anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,231
Re: Security in foreign ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I'm trying to get a cross section of ideas and experiences from people who have done it. This could be a story about a good or bad experience or the precautions skippers take in various ports or places
Usually any problem areas with theft will be known about and will flag up through google in websites like noonsite or similar, maybe with a quick ask around after checking in.
Lifting the dinghy every night at anchor is possibly the one single act people do in areas where outboards have been known to go missing.
__________________
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 06:53   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 537
Re: Security in foreign ports

Foreign port is relative. My foreign port is some else's home port. Someone else's home port is my foreign port. A foreign port is only relative to the nationality of the sailor entering it.

Try to remove such geocentric thinking from your head. The concept is 'security', the scope is 'when you leave the boat'. The relative safety and security will vary from place to place. Nationality is irrelevant.
__________________
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 06:59   #6
Registered User
 
bvander's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 250
Re: Security in foreign ports

Security doesn't happen with a lock.
The real key is situational awareness.
Starts before you leave on your way to a new port. Research. Noonsite, Caribbean security net, talk to other cruisers coming from there. Also Google local news reports.
Once you get settled in new location talk to officials and other cruisers
First day stay close to boat and assess the feel. Have good lock for outboard and dingy
When walkabout blend in, don't flash $, keep aware, don't get pissed at local hangout, keep the bling at home. Talk with locals, if spending time there befriend some locals, they have the best humint about the area.
A cruiser should not be a starry eyed tourist blindly stumbling around.
__________________
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 07:04   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: So Cal
Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer
Posts: 353
Re: Security in foreign ports

When My boat was docked in La Paz people kept a watchful eye out for each others boats.
If any stranger lingered near someone's boat they were asked what they wanted.
That works at the dock but I don't know about anchoring out or at a mooring. Then again I am more concerned about personal safety than theft. I don't have much in the way of new expensive gear that would tempt a thief.
I think just take the usual precautions and don't leave things laying around to tempt anyone.
__________________
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 07:16   #8
Registered User
 
dwedeking2's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Posts: 280
Images: 1
Re: Security in foreign ports

Foreign or domestic doesn't really matter except that you'll obviously be more aware the situation at a port you are more familiar with.

Situational awareness and keep your valuables on the down low. For example, I'm mounting my MFD down below and then using the wifi function to use it via a tablet at the helm. Now at dock or anchor, there's not expensive gear in plain site (just an example of not flashing wealth).

I'm thinking about a cut off switch for the ignition. Just a simple toggle in a hidden location for when I leave the boat for extended periods. But really any deterrents like that will only keep honest people honest. Enough time and desire and anything can be stolen.
dwedeking2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 07:53   #9
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,051
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Security in foreign ports

The reality is any boat can be entered in a few minutes by anyone with a crowbar.. so rather than suffer to much damage I just shut all the deck hatches, pop in the wash boards, slide the hatch shut and pop a small padlock on.. with the dinghy I use stainless chain and padlock.. sometimes I'll hang it using the spinnaker line and padlock it to a stanchion... others I'll leave it in the water secured by painter and the chain and padlock.
Being rammed or being dragged into causes more concern than a break in..
__________________


"Your not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on..."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 07:54   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 16,838
Re: Security in foreign ports

Well, in some places we leave the boat open, at other locations we lock everything up.

It is all country-and-community-specific.

Ports overall are a bit less safe than countryside.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 09:12   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 50
Re: Security in foreign ports

Don't have the fanciest looking boat in the port. Too much gleam just attracts trouble. In our three years in Latin America we had one ashore incident (necklace torn from wife's neck by cyclist in Costa Rica) but nothing re the boat. We did, however, have a bicycle stolen in San Diego and a major break-in in Tampa.
__________________
Scorpius99eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 10:30   #12
Registered User
 
FilBrown's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: TYC, West Thurrock, Essex
Boat: Moody 31 MkII 31'10"
Posts: 108
Re: Security in foreign ports

I have a little PIR activated battery operated doorbell which I leave in the cockpit overnight. If anyone gets onto the back of the boat it makes a bong noise. Not very secure but it might put some off.

I'm planning to leave my boat for 4-5 months ashore over the winter.
As I'll be 2000 miles away I'm going to have to leave her with most of our personal gear aboard.
In that time someone could have stripped the boat of anything valuable.

I was wondering if anyone has or plans to use any of the following;

https://buddyguard.io/how-it-works
I dont know if this works from 12v but I'm sure it could be adapted too.

http://www.brinno.com/outdoor-security-camera/MAC200DN
This PIR activated camera will work for months on a couple of batteries but will need to be hidden.

https://www.thetrackr.com
These are fairly small and could be stuck on an outboard or pushbike but they rely on having a bluetooth signal.
__________________
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 10:46   #13
Registered User
 
rwidman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,003
Re: Security in foreign ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I have always wondered what cruisers do in foreign ports. How do you secure a sailboat against someone coming aboard to steal your stuff or the boat when stopping in a unfamiliar area?

Once I had sailed into a port and tied up to the public pier and my girlfriend and I went out to breakfast. When we came back an hour later the boat was gone and a racing fleet had taken over the pier. We eventually found the boat, since they moved it down the Pier to make room for the other boats, but it could have been much worse.

How do you leave your boat in a foreign port alone? At a pier? At anchorage? At a mooring can? What do you do for your dingy or tender? A lock will never stop a professional thief. A strong lock simply means they will break your door or the hasp. They will get in.

But I'm more concerned with coming back to find the boat still there. What do you do?
That takes a lot of balls, moving a stranger's boat because you want the space. People have been shot over lesser offences. I would think that's an actual crime although if you're in a foreign country, you might not get much help. It would have been nice if you had had an alarm on the boat that sounded loudly when the boat was moved.

There's only so much you can do to secure your boat, at home or in another country. The best thing to do is to stay away from known problem areas. I don't know of anyone using steel cables and padlocks to secure their boat to the dock although some folks do this with their dinghies and motors.
__________________
Ron
HIGH COTTON
Sent from my laptop using Windows 7
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 10:51   #14
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,051
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Security in foreign ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That takes a lot of balls, moving a stranger's boat because you want the space. People have been shot over lesser offences. I would think that's an actual crime although if you're in a foreign country, you might not get much help. It would have been nice if you had had an alarm on the boat that sounded loudly when the boat was moved.

There's only so much you can do to secure your boat, at home or in another country. The best thing to do is to stay away from known problem areas. I don't know of anyone using steel cables and padlocks to secure their boat to the dock although some folks do this with their dinghies and motors.
Likely it was done by the Marina Staff.. its in the small print.. doubt very much the 'Racers' would have done it..
Fortunately we're not 'Gun Happy' this side of the pond.
__________________


"Your not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on..."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 12:13   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Certosa Marina, Venice
Boat: Jeanneau 43ds
Posts: 158
Send a message via Skype™ to SaltyMetals
Re: Security in foreign ports

Big Jim,

This forum covers a wide area. if you are US based or you are specifically referring to the Caribbean then pls say so. There are others in this forum who are in Euorpe , South East asia, or even Oz/Nz. We all have comments for the specific areas. The security requirements will be different for each of them.
__________________

__________________
SaltyMetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ports, security

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing Ports with New Found Metals Ports Papa Joe Construction, Maintenance & Refit 10 04-06-2016 14:34
E-Readers In Foreign Ports ? martinjrichter Fishing, Recreation & Fun 6 22-08-2011 20:47
BB Gun in Foreign Ports Loopy4sailing Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 21 15-02-2011 12:07
Best arrangements for leaving boat unattended in foreign ports??? Lightfin General Sailing Forum 4 19-02-2008 20:53


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.