Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-03-2016, 18:13   #31

Re: Searching For The Right Live-Aboard Bahamas Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat Story View Post
Just throw another 10k at it, huh? Simple as that?

I jest... I agree that it would get me into a better buying range for sure if I could increase the budget by 10k.

Imagine yourself in my shoes...

You've got X amount of dollars saved. Out of those dollars you have to buy a boat, prep the boat, provision the boat, then have something left in the kitty to be able to actually, you know, sail. Lol.

Technically, I could increase the boat buying budget (B.B.B.) by another 10k, but I would simultaneously be decreasing my cruising kitty by an equal amount.

So, what I've got here is a bit of a balancing act going on. A nautical budget-based teeter-totter, if you will.

<<<SNIP>>>
OK, I'll put myself in your shoes. You said: "...you have to buy a boat..." Part of the advice is to wait and make more $$. We don't know your details, but perhaps you have a sabbatical coming up and actually HAVE to do this in a certain time frame or else not go. THAT would be very constraining. Again, in a spirit of sharing experiences in lieu of "tellling you what you should do" we looked for our boat for an entire year. We actually did that twice: once when we went from a 22 to a 25 and then the 25 to 34. And we looked for ONLY our boat. You have a tad more flexibility.

OK, I'll put myself in your shoes. You said: "...prep the boat, provision the boat..." Does that $15K include this, too? I think you understand the math involved if it does, since the $$ available for the boat itself will be less.

Couple of options:

1. Your desires and wish list are too big for your budget. Buy/look for a smaller boat.

2. You most already are saving money as time goes by, so the longer you look the more $$ you'll have although only you know your budget and how you made it up.

3. You wish list says 4 foot draft. From everything I've ever read on this forum which includes a LOT of input about the Bahamas, that criteria as a "necessity" is completely unnecessary. Many boats in Florida have shoal drafts that reach as much as 5 feet and do quite well. Consider expanding you draft which should open up more possibilities.

4. You are veering dangerously into "project boat" territory in which case your teeter totter is an apt phrase, but which will get you absolutely nowhere.

5. Deals based on divorce, moving up and the like are only possible when SERENDIPITY strikes. Solution is to keep looking. Good luck.

While it COULD possibly happen for you and your family, and I certainly hope that it can and will, I personally believe your criteria and your budget are simply completely unrealistic (regardless of what a buyers market everybody claims it is).

I've tried hard to put myself in your shoes, and that's the conclusion I have come to. I sure hope I'm wrong and that something that works for you comes up for you & yours.

Good luck.

PS - I've been sailing since I was a kid and sailing on SF Bay for the past 35+ years.

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 18:16   #32

Check out Morgan out island 33 at Florida yacht sales, key largo

Old 14-03-2016, 18:26   #33

Check out Columbia 32 at st Augustine yacht sales, fl
Old 14-03-2016, 19:02   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 40

You obviously did NOT read this post!!!!

6 month sabbatical cruising costs
Old 14-03-2016, 19:50   #35

Boat: Scout 30

Here's a few that might be worth checking out. They don't all tick all of your boxes but when it comes to boats it's all about compromise. Just remember, you cannot believe pictures. You have to see a boat in person to know what kind of condition it's really in.

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/5422226488.html
https://sarasota.craigslist.org/bod/5491122231.html
https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/5490410327.html
https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col...483895551.html
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/5485642379.html
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/5459257007.html
https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/boa/5468851772.html
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/5455685961.html
https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...464792905.html
https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/boa/5412583722.html
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/5427648881.html
https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col...419841390.html
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/5444911716.html
Old 14-03-2016, 19:57   #36

My personal experience is that their is no advantage to you the purchaser in dealing directly with the seller, especially if you have little experience. A good broker will be worth every penny.
Old 14-03-2016, 20:06   #37

Boat: Pearson 35 #285

Quote:
Hello there.

My family of 3 is on the search for a good liveaboard sailboat that will serve us to island hop the Bahamas.

The tricky part is that we're up against a tight budget. I'm talking about that we need to be able to get into a decent boat for no more than about $15,000 or so.

There are some basic features / specs that I'm working within - although I'm quite aware that we may have to flex a bit to make the plan come together.

Here's are our "needs/wants" in a sailboat -

Pretty Much Mandatory:
~ 33' - 35' overall
~ Sloop rigged
~ Something close to a 4ft draft
~ A good diesel (Perkins, Universal, or Yanmar preferred.)
~ Stove / oven
~ V-berth + quarter berth + convertible settee.
~ Bimini
~ Wheel steering
~ No soft spots or major maintenance issues

Very Nice Additions
~ Davits
~ Small outboard
~ Composting head
~ Rigid dinghy + oars
~ Basic solar system

Now, what I would like to do is put up some posting URLs to boats that I think are a somewhat close match to those specs.

I will say that every single boat that I've looked at are a compromise in some way.

The other thing worth mentioning is that I am getting the feeling that we will be better off by paying a bit more for a boat that is more "complete" concerning the features we need, rather than to pick up something extra cheap and have to go through the expense and labor of adding on what we need / want.

To start things off, here is a boat that I think is somewhat close for us...

1974 Olympic Marine Carter 33 sailboat for sale in Florida

This is a Olympic Marine Carter 33. The things that are "off" if that it has a draft that is 16" deeper than what we would really prefer. Also, I have read somewhere that the included Volvo MD2030 was lovingly nicknamed "The Green Death"... gotta say - that's a bit scary to a fella like myself. Haha.

What do you think? Is this something that might work as a liveaboard Bahamas boat for a family of 3 on a tight budget?
1970 Pearson 35 Sailboat with Centerboard No Reserve | eBay
Old 14-03-2016, 20:17   #38

Buying that eBay boat is a real gamble, you know nothing of the cost to make it sea worthy, can you do that to your family, I think not.
Old 14-03-2016, 20:22   #39

Boat: Pearson 35 #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicsailboat View Post
Buying that eBay boat is a real gamble, you know nothing of the cost to make it sea worthy, can you do that to your family, I think not.
correct and sorry for posting it after reading it again, seen it a few days back and out of sight/mind thing didn't read again... so just rudder bearing/ soft spot stuff enough to stay away from. all the best
Old 14-03-2016, 20:38   #40

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicsailboat View Post
Any 35' boat under $10k is going to be a gamble.
Hell, any boat you go see is a gamble. Thats why you always get a surveyor, a diesel mechanic, and a rigger to check out the boat before you head out. Even then, stuff happens.

A high price doesn't make a boat safe and seaworthy. And just because its old doesn't make it bad. And just because its new, doesn't make it good.

There was an excellent local surveyor here, name of Jonathan Watson. He was known far and wide for his detailed and accurate surveys, both recreational and commercial. When he missed some osmosis on a local boat, he paid for the repair out of his own pocket. Well, a nice young couple had him survey their boat before their trip south, and he gave it a clean bill of health. And of course, I wouldn't be telling this story if something bad hadn't happened. And it did. The boat was lost, and all souls aboard. When Mr Watson heard what had happened, he considered it his fault, and went into a deep depression that only ended by taking his own life...he just could not live with the guilt.

My point is that even a good survey, from a good surveyor, is no guarantee of safety. The ocean is a dangerous place. However, IMHO, its much safer than driving your car on the highway....even if your boat is crap.
Old 14-03-2016, 20:59   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
You also have to consider the cost/time of moving a boat that far. It cost real money to transport a boat 1,000 miles, even if you move it yourself (time, storage, feeding crew, etc)
I totally agree that moving a boat 1000 miles can cost. But from Lake Ontario, you can be in NYC in less than 2 weeks...Erie canal to the Hudson river. And its a pretty nice cruise. Then the east coast/ICW south, with all the great places to visit along the way.

The OP said he wants to island hop, but set no time restrictions.

If he bought a boat in the next month or two, he could spend the summer enjoying the great lakes, then in early fall, head south with all the other snowbirds, after hurricane season is done. This would give him plenty of time to shake down, and learn his boat in safe waters, and still be in the Caribbean/Bahamas next winter.... and have you seen the Canadian dollar lately? Who wouldn't want a 25% discount on their boat, repair costs, provisioning, etc ??? What a great way to ease into the cruising lifestyle. And in case you were wondering, we (mostly) speak/understand english and recently we got wifi!

I like this one for the OP:

Boat Details

With a little negotiating, it would be in his budget. It looks to me like a fine vessel, suited to the purpose. Just a bit smaller than the OP would like.
Old 14-03-2016, 21:11   #42

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Hello there.

My family of 3 is on the search for a good liveaboard sailboat that will serve us to island hop the Bahamas.

The tricky part is that we're up against a tight budget. I'm talking about that we need to be able to get into a decent boat for no more than about $15,000 or so.

There are some basic features / specs that I'm working within - although I'm quite aware that we may have to flex a bit to make the plan come together.

Here's are our "needs/wants" in a sailboat -

Pretty Much Mandatory:
~ 33' - 35' overall
~ Sloop rigged
~ Something close to a 4ft draft
~ A good diesel (Perkins, Universal, or Yanmar preferred.)
~ Stove / oven
~ V-berth + quarter berth + convertible settee.
~ Bimini
~ Wheel steering
~ No soft spots or major maintenance issues

Very Nice Additions
~ Davits
~ Small outboard
~ Composting head
~ Rigid dinghy + oars
~ Basic solar system

Now, what I would like to do is put up some posting URLs to boats that I think are a somewhat close match to those specs.

I will say that every single boat that I've looked at are a compromise in some way.

The other thing worth mentioning is that I am getting the feeling that we will be better off by paying a bit more for a boat that is more "complete" concerning the features we need, rather than to pick up something extra cheap and have to go through the expense and labor of adding on what we need / want.

To start things off, here is a boat that I think is somewhat close for us...

1974 Olympic Marine Carter 33 sailboat for sale in Florida

This is a Olympic Marine Carter 33. The things that are "off" if that it has a draft that is 16" deeper than what we would really prefer. Also, I have read somewhere that the included Volvo MD2030 was lovingly nicknamed "The Green Death"... gotta say - that's a bit scary to a fella like myself. Haha.

What do you think? Is this something that might work as a liveaboard Bahamas boat for a family of 3 on a tight budget?
For a liveaboard you want a good boat in good condition. Very challenging at your budget.

What are your capabilities to repair and maintain all the boat systems?

While living aboard preventative maintenance on a good boat will keep you fully employed.

Anything requiring corrective maintenance will be a challenge while living aboard.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-03-2016, 21:27   #43

To the OP:

Don't get discouraged. There are good boats out there at good prices. But its a lot of work to find them. Its more than just surfing ads. Its easier if you have more money...but I'm guessing a little work doesn't frighten you.

I've bought (good, seaworthy) boats for $1000 and $100.

I suggest you consider boats over your budget, and contact the owners to let them know of your interest...at a much lower price. So long as you are polite, honest and respectful, you will not offend. Maybe a few weeks, months, or even a year later, you may hear back from an owner who has had no success in selling their boat, and would like to be part of your story.

Get your name and email address out there.
Someplace, somewhere, there is a guy with a great boat who just had a heart attack, and needs to sell today!

BTW, around here marina fees are due July 1st. So late June is the best time of year to get a deal...most owners would rather sell cheap than have to pay for another season of dockage, marina fees, club dues, and all the other costs. Yup. July 1st closing.

And BTW, from your description, a well equipped Pearson 35 sounds like your boat.
Old 15-03-2016, 02:46   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I like this one for the OP:

Boat Details

With a little negotiating, it would be in his budget. It looks to me like a fine vessel, suited to the purpose. Just a bit smaller than the OP would like.
I wonder why the hull material was never listed in any of the descriptions. The photos with the hard chine make it appear to be steel.

Regardless of the showcased boat, I do think that hamburking makes a valid point about expanding the search up the coast. The trip south can be an excellent learning experience while adapting to life aboard.

I also agree with an earlier post suggesting that a five foot draft would not eliminate cruising the Bahamas, but less draft does always open more opportunity.

When I've helped others shopping for a boat, I've fond it best to be able to give the potential vessel a numerical rating. I like to identify a list of major features such as: Cabin space, underwater design, tankage, engine, galley, rigging/chain plates, sails, deck condition, plumbing, wiring, hull condition, aesthetics.....

I rate each factor from one to ten during a preliminary inspection and the average of these numbers gives me a score that helps me compare vessels objectively.

This helps me focus and prevents falling in love with a dog!
Old 15-03-2016, 06:35   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, hoehn & jsestes.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, Bahamas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: