Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2010, 06:15   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
It's the temperature measured by the thermometer on the wall about 12 inches down from the ceiling in the sauna I use. The air temperature is stratified in a sauna, warmer on the upper bench and cooler on the lower bench. The newbies will sometimes sit on the lower bench.

On occasion if the stove is hot the thermal radiation tends to burn your legs. The exterior of the stove can exceed many 100s of degrees F. If heavily fired the hot parts of the stove may glow dull red.

In short temperature measuring is complicated when there is very hot and cool objects in the same room. The temperature measuring device measures some combination of air temperature and radiation temperature. It depending on how it is constructed, how much of the direct radiation from the stove it sees, and the actual air temperature.

Water boils at 212 deg F but your bodies complex temperature regulating controls cause you to sweat. The water evaporating from your skin helps to keep you cooler and cleans your skin from the inside out so they say. You could not survive indefinitely at these temperatures but it works for short periods of time.
+1

I have been in saunas where the air temperature was over 100C (212F). I think the Finns -- the originators of what we think of as a sauna -- typically keep their saunas at that kind of temperature.

I don't like it -- it hurts my eyes and my lungs.

I much prefer Russian or Turkish bath where the temperature is less, typically 60C or so in the case of a Russian bath, but humidity much higher in order to give you the same heating up of the body.

The cold cycle of the process can be done with a cold water plunge, or in winter time, a roll in the snow. The snow is fantastic because snow is mostly air and so is less of a shock than cold water.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 08:09   #17
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Have you tried sitting in your engine compartment for 15 minutes at mid-day in the tropic's. I've never sweated as much in my sauna as I have in my engine compartment. Grap a wrench and lean over and the sweat intensity doubles.
Old 14-11-2010, 09:05   #18

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
How about a sweat lodge in the cockpit. Heat some rocks on the bbq, places the rocks in a pot on the cockpit floor, zip up the bimini and a little sea water on the rocks makes Bob your uncle!
Interesting idea. I've made sweat lodges on the beach, but not the cockpit. A good enclosure would probably do the trick.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 22:38   #19

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
230? !!! I don't know what it will do to your cabin, but it will certainly endanger your health.

In the USA, the UL code mandates that an electric sauna heater not be capable of exceeding 195F.

You might want to do a bit more research.

By the sound of things, you might want to do a bit more research before doling out advice on how much research to do!
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 22:39   #20

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
I probably will use an IR heater dockside, and the sauna will become storage while sailing. With regard to the direct-deposit sanitation system: Don't ask, don't tell, it works for the Navy!
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 14:11   #21

Re: Sauna

Have you - or anyone - succeeded with the sauna project? I don't have a boat yet, but this is a really cool idea for winter/temperate weather sailing. Probably I'd want a boat where there is enough room for it (and still <40').
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 23:54   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Have you - or anyone - succeeded with the sauna project? I don't have a boat yet, but this is a really cool idea for winter/temperate weather sailing. Probably I'd want a boat where there is enough room for it (and still <40').
I did some sailing some years ago on a Swan 90 which had a sauna. I thought, at the time, that was silly.

I have completely changed my mind now after spending some time working in Finland and getting used to this way of bathing. A nice hot sauna is just what you need after a cold, windy, maybe wet passage up at these latitudes.

The Swan just used the aft cabin's shower compartment, as the sauna. The only addition was some kind of device for bringing heat into it. I suppose that even on a smaller boat, you could turn one heads compartment into a sauna fairly easily.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:45   #23

Converting the shower is a good idea.

For usefulness: the body (mine at least...) needs extended periods of warmth otherwise it catches cold. A hot shower is simply too short (or wastes half the water of the ocean...), for a bathtub there is no place on smaller boats, sauna should it be then...

I might give Norway a try once, some extra heat is definitely welcome up there...
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:49   #24

Here's a 60' motor "sailer" which claims to have a sauna but I can't find any pictures or anymore information of it.
https://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=324603
http://www.jahtapalsa.lv/index.php?lang=en
fishondryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 20:40   #25

Love this! I am
Moving onto my boat in 2 weeks. I plan on converting one of my heads to a closet and the shower to an infrared sauna! I can't wait
gandil6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 22:40   #26

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

As one who have a sauna several times a week sharing some facts.. While it's possible to have sauna up to 110C/230F I personally prefer 70C/160F there's not so much difference how you feel the heat. The ~100C range it's mostly dry heat, not so much steam as in the lower ~70C range. In either case it's perfectly safe with common sense and limited time in the heat. Avoid the use of metal in a sauna except the heater unit. Untreated ash or apache wood are the best materials for your skin but many other species go as well.

I'm building a sauna compartment in my 38'ish boat but going with a (turkish) steam generator unit. It fit's in a smaller place and is less a hazard burning one's butt in a cramped compartment. The compartment will multipurpose as a sauna, shower and a wet/drying locker.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:48   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, gandil.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:17   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sauna--wow--- my boat in tropics without the tarps is a sauna --especially while running engine.
could get interesting.
welcome to cf.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:36   #29

I've toyed with the idea of a sauna in my head compartment as it is separated from the sink and thus is smaller and would be easier to keep hot. However, since I only use the boat from mid May to mid October I figured for now it is not worth the trouble.

I would be interested in that steam unit a previous poster talked about. Can you PM me the names and other info? Much appreciated.

Years ago when deciding on which sauna to install at home I came across one such steamer unit built or sold under Jacuzzi name. But the price at the time was around $2,500-3,000 plus installation and since it would involve too much destruction and the owner below allowing access from his side I ended up with a regular cedar lined dry sauna (carved out of a walk-in closet) with 110v 3Kw heater. Not as hot as I'd like but hot enough to have a decent sauna on cold winter days. Funny thing though the first 5 years I've used it practically weekly. As the time went by it went to monthly and today its down to once or twice per winter. Now use it to store sails and cushions as it makes perfectly dry and convenient storage space.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:54   #30

Boat: Sandibar 35

Here in Finland saunas on boats are not that rare, even on motorcruisers and motorsailors from maybe 35ft up. Not that common either, I've never seen one live. I would not have one, even if we had a bigger boat, since basically every marina has a decent sauna mostly included in the price of the stay.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote