Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2016, 12:44   #1

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'
San Francisco Live aboard slip (finally!) I could use help moving the boat.

So after two years of driving out to see my boat for a few days. Then being forced to go away (due to strict live aboard laws). Hundreds of nasty replies from Marina managers regarding Live aboard slips. A few threats from marinas I considered, on NOT living aboard etc...

I have been offered a beautiful slip, in a very nice East bay Marina. So I can finally fix the long list of little things I never get to. Finally live my dream, and ... and,..

The issue is moving the boat. I'm just a little freaked out about maneuvering around in tight areas. Because I never get to actually use the boat either. Mostly I get there, bust butt on projects, and leave (fudging my attendance a little, but never enough to be reprimanded).

Anyway,..

I'd really like a second hand on board when I pull into the new marina. simply someone who is experienced piloting a 35 foot boat with a 7 foot fin keel.

I do have a 12 foot inflatable tender with a 20hp outboard just in case there are any issues. However the 16hp diesel inboard runs great. So I doubt we'll have any trouble.

The move is only about 8 miles. So an hour or three??

Maybe a ride back to the old marina.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New deck paint.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	126946  
Vancefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 12:53   #2

Re: San Francisco Live aboard slip (finally!) I could use help moving the boat.

Doug Peterson design 34?
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 12:55   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
Doug Peterson design 34?
Correct.
Old 26-06-2016, 13:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancefish View Post
Correct.
Nice boat!!
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 13:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
Nice boat!!

Thanks!

She was on the hard 15+ years. Been floating for 3. Her rigging is 1982. SO,.. no sailing her until I go up the mast 10-20 times (and spend a few $$$).

I could also haul her for a cleaning, and a couple of new transducers.

Overall she's fixable, and not bad.

Hard to work on her from 1200 miles away.
Old 26-06-2016, 13:30   #6

What marina? I have sailing friends all over the estuary and maybe we can help.
However, I bet you can do it yourself! Leave at sunrise so you arrive around 930/10.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 13:40   #7

That is a good plan Sailorcherry! Going early before the win kicks up.

I sent you a PM on the location now and where it's moving to as well.

The entire move is only about 8 miles. So I'd say 1 couple of hours?
Old 26-06-2016, 13:49   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Just to give you some courage, your fin keel boat is a piece of cake to maneuver in tight places compared to my long keel boat. Assume there are finger piers so it just a matter of steering into the slip and stopping before ramming the dock. Put out fenders and boat will lie against the finger till you can get a line ashore. Make up your mooring lines and get your bumpers out well before you try and get it into the slip. Tie your lines to the life lines so they won't accidentally end up in the water with possible disastrous results. Pick a day when the wind isn't a significant factor. If the slip is in Alameda that's easy but may be a difficulty in other areas. Time of day may also make a difference as wind comes up midday and slacks off in the late afternoon through early morning.

Not to say that having an extra hand wouldn't be nice to have just that you'll probably be able to do it single handed without embarrassment.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 13:53   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
She was on the hard 15+ years. Been floating for 3. I could also haul her for a cleaning...
I guarantee the bottom needs more than a cleaning...

If you're going to haul her, put a new bottom on her.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 13:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I guarantee the bottom needs more than a cleaning...

If you're going to haul her, put a new bottom on her.
You are spot on!
Old 26-06-2016, 14:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Just to give you some courage, your fin keel boat is a piece of cake to maneuver in tight places compared to my long keel boat. Assume there are finger piers so it just a matter of steering into the slip and stopping before ramming the dock. Put out fenders and boat will lie against the finger till you can get a line ashore. Make up your mooring lines and get your bumpers out well before you try and get it into the slip. Tie your lines to the life lines so they won't accidentally end up in the water with possible disastrous results. Pick a day when the wind isn't a significant factor. If the slip is in Alameda that's easy but may be a difficulty in other areas. Time of day may also make a difference as wind comes up midday and slacks off in the late afternoon through early morning.

Not to say that having an extra hand wouldn't be nice to have just that you'll probably be able to do it single handed without embarrassment.
I've pulled her out a couple of times, and didn't have any problems. She really does feel like a giant 505. You're right though, I likely can do it alone just fine. but,..
Old 26-06-2016, 14:03   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
You are spot on!
Pettit Trinidad or Interlux Micron 66. Two coats everywhere, three at the waterline and leading/trailing edges of the appendages. Don't let anybody talk you into one coat. Have it cleaned every other month. Guaranteed maximum performance and lifespan.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 14:32   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Vancefish,

If she's been in the water 3 yrs., the prop (unless it was bagged) will be a huge ball of fouling, and what's on the hull, and rudder, a huge drag. If you can't afford to do the bottom at this time, you're still going to have to clean the prop. Does your new marina have a work boat to tow you to the slip? (They may not be too keen to have a bunch of amateurs do it, and you don't want to upset them.)

If the money's available, Fstbttms recommendations make a whole lot of sense. If you try and move her while she's so foul, she will be extremely sluggish, not very steerable, either, so, maybe relatively easy to get to the marina, but not necessarily into the slip. You may have to insure her against 3rd party damage, like you running into another boat while she's unmanageable..... All of that's why I agree with fstbttms' assessment, if the money's there.

If not, then you do the best you can and hope for the best, but you must at least clean the prop, otherwise, the currents will move the boat, not the prop. [We have seen this happen, at the marina in Emeryville.] Pick a really still day. It will take a long time if she's all foul, probably more than the 3 hrs. you project. Make sure you have an anchor ready to go if you lose control of her. The dinghy with the 20 hp o/b may be able to help you, but you just have no idea how un-maneuverable a sailboat with 3 yrs. of growth can be. The bouillabaisse on it will act like a whole bunch of little anchors.

Enjoy your new home.

Ann
Old 26-06-2016, 14:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Vancefish,

If she's been in the water 3 yrs., the prop (unless it was bagged) will be a huge ball of fouling, and what's on the hull, and rudder, a huge drag. If you can't afford to do the bottom at this time, you're still going to have to clean the prop. Does your new marina have a work boat to tow you to the slip? (They may not be too keen to have a bunch of amateurs do it, and you don't want to upset them.)

If the money's available, Fstbttms recommendations make a whole lot of sense. If you try and move her while she's so foul, she will be extremely sluggish, not very steerable, either, so, maybe relatively easy to get to the marina, but not necessarily into the slip. You may have to insure her against 3rd party damage, like you running into another boat while she's unmanageable..... All of that's why I agree with fstbttms' assessment, if the money's there. If not, then you do the best you can and hope for the best, but you must clean the prop, otherwise, the currents will move the boat, not the prop. [We have seen this happen, at the marina in Emeryville.] Pick a really still day. It will take a long time if she's all foul, probably more than the 3 hrs. you project.

Enjoy your new home.

Ann
I had her cleaned about a year ago. The diver called it a Tunicate forest at that point.

However, I've gone out every few months and using a stiff bristle brush and a scraper on poles. I've been able to keep some of that down. I would surely do that at least, before the trip.

Unfortunately there are a few things growing FAR below my reach (including the folding prop). I use my GoPro to look down there when I can.

So,.. might be a good plan to do something about that prop for sure!
Old 27-06-2016, 08:48   #15

Boat: Lancer 44' motorsailer

I may be able to lend a hand. Send me a private message.
skwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san francisco