Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2013, 09:58   #31

Boat: looking again
I'm curious if any of you have stayed in Vallejo marinas and your thoughts on it.
Old 22-03-2013, 10:19   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: San Francisco Bay Area Marinas

I have been to the city run Vallejo marina numerous times. The marina is okay. The town is a dive though, and bankrupt.

Further up where the San Joaquin and Sacramento rivers meet is the Pittsburg Marina which is quite a nice marina. Much of old Pittsburg has been redeveloped. (Railroad Ave area) There are no big grocery stores within walking distance but there are within bicycling distance. Also check out the Antioch marina up the San Joaquin river a few miles from Pittsburg.

There are numerous marinas in the Delta, from dives to pretty nice ones. It is a great place to stay Spring through Fall. From November through March it can be cold and foggy for weeks on end.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 11:24   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I have been to the city run Vallejo marina numerous times. The marina is okay. The town is a dive though, and bankrupt.

Further up where the San Joaquin and Sacramento rivers meet is the Pittsburg Marina which is quite a nice marina. Much of old Pittsburg has been redeveloped. (Railroad Ave area) There are no big grocery stores within walking distance but there are within bicycling distance. Also check out the Antioch marina up the San Joaquin river a few miles from Pittsburg.

There are numerous marinas in the Delta, from dives to pretty nice ones. It is a great place to stay Spring through Fall. From November through March it can be cold and foggy for weeks on end.
Thank you! I want to try and be closer to the bay and inch my way to Sausalito
I live in the Sac area. I want out of the Delta area, lol
Old 22-03-2013, 11:28   #34

I'm in Marina Bay, Richmond. Towns not so great, but the immediate area is nice. W. marine is close and numerous cruisers in the marina.
Bashleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 11:33   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashleys View Post
I'm in Marina Bay, Richmond. Towns not so great, but the immediate area is nice. W. marine is close and numerous cruisers in the marina.
Any good restaurants or fun bars close enough to walk to? Do you know about how much a slip fee would be for a 27 ft sailboat?
Old 22-03-2013, 11:57   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauimichele View Post
Any good restaurants or fun bars close enough to walk to? Do you know about how much a slip fee would be for a 27 ft sailboat?
There are two restaurant's and a small store / deli at or around the marina. A few others two blocks away. Mainly parks and higher end (for Richmond anyway) residence / condo's in the area and office park/ industrial to the north. The Bay trail passes around the marina. Point Richmond (10 minutes by car)has many restaurants/bars. Groceries are mainly in san pablo, berkley/ albany

For my 34' boat the slip was about $300 a month and another $200 for liveaboard. Your allowed to stay 3 days a week without liveaboard fee. One girlfriend of mine stayed there 8 years without paying liveaboard fees. Elect was maybe $3-$5 in summer, more in winter. D and E docks have the washing machines and good restrooms/ showers. Avoid F&G as the parking lot there is less safe.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 12:18   #37

Not much in the way of walking distance. Benefits are: short motor to the bay, nice amenities/docks and a 20 min ride to SF. Looks like rent is bout $250.
Bashleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 12:26   #38

Thanks SailorChic and Bashley!
mauimichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 21:44   #39
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

An often forgotten Vallejo marina is Glen Cove Marina-

Glen Cove Marina | Glencove Marina
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 20:02   #40

Boat: SeaRay 440 Motor Yacht

We have berthed at Glen Cove overnight, it's fine. A bit older, no conviences within walking distance, but great for a stopover. Our 280 Searay was slipped in Sacramento, and we cruised to San Francisco and stopped at Glen Cove for the night, loved, would do it again in a heartbeat!!!!
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 12:36   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdboater View Post
We have berthed at Glen Cove overnight, it's fine. A bit older, no conviences within walking distance, but great for a stopover. Our 280 Searay was slipped in Sacramento, and we cruised to San Francisco and stopped at Glen Cove for the night, loved, would do it again in a heartbeat!!!!
Thanks! Will be keeping my boat I'm Oakland till I learn how to sail on my own. Maybe by the middle of August I will feel comfortable enough to move it up the bay.
Old 25-03-2013, 13:55   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
The Oakland/Alameda Estuary has more slips than the rest of the bay combined. On the Alameda side there's more slips than anywhere in the state except, I believe, Marina Del Rey. Fortman Marina is the least expensive, Marina Village is probably the nicest, they're within 1/2 mile of each other. I have mine at Fortman. 6 - 8 blocks to a pretty good WM and the same the opposite way to a local chandlery & boat yard, Svendsens. They're a quick dinghy ride to Jack London Square that has restaurants, theater, a great jazz club, farmers market. Alameda is a nice safe little city, we call it the Mayberry of the Bay Area. Let me know if I can give you more specific info about anything.
I lived in Alameda for two years in my early 20s. Not a fan if that town. The boat I got is a 26 ft sail boat and will fit in a 23 ft slip for $185 on the Oakland harbor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130325_135457.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	57861   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130325_135522.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	57862  

Old 26-03-2013, 06:32   #43

Michele -- Can you elaborate on why you did not like Alameda? I am in search of a liveaboard marina as well and not as familiar with the Bay Area cities.
trh2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 08:58   #44

Boat: SeaRay 440 Motor Yacht

I agree with Michele, my experiences in Alameda have been good. I have not berthed a vessel there, or lived there. My experiences are all from passing thru, but I have been there numrous times, both by land and by water. My wife & I cruised from Sacramento down throught the delta to San Fran Bay, and included Alameda and Jack London Square in those trips. See my earlier post regarding the 'First and Last Chance Saloon' in Jack London Square, it's an incredibly historic locale....... and they serve beer, too, what could possibly be more fulfilling?
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 09:12   #45
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Alameda is a nice town and the best place in the Bay Area to berth a boat, IMHO. I can't imagine anybody preferring Oakland to it. None of the Oakland Marinas can hold a candle to the best three or four marinas in Alameda either.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas