Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2012, 17:20   #1

San Diego Liveaboard help!

Hi all!!

Forum newbie here. I'm inheriting a 30ft Coronado that has been used as a liveaboard in both the San Diego and Newport Beach area for the past 3 years. My plan is to find a marina back in the San Diego bay area that will allow me to liveaboard with my dog, however I'm running into a few roadblocks from marinas not allowing liveaboards under 35 ft, but won't really give me reason as to why (most are citing previous tenant issues). I travel for work so time at home is rare to begin with, and when I am home, my dog either comes with me to work or goes to a doggie day camp (don't laugh!! she loves it!). Does anyone out there know of any marinas that may offer what I am looking for? I initially wanted to stay in the Shelter Island/Harbor island area (I graduated from Point Loma Nazarene University 10 years ago, so that area is my second home), but based on feedback from one marina, was told my only option was Pier 32 in National City. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo!
-AJ
surfbetty80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 18:24   #2

Boat: 1974 islander 44
There are several mooring fields. Love the spot under the Coronado island bridge. Throne right by the airport isn't bad either.
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 19:20   #3

You can try Kathy here at Sun Harbor Marina. We're in Point Loma. I'm not sure what the rules are, but I can tell you that your odds of success with any marina are better if you come by the office in person and smile a bit. Marina managers get a lot of phone calls and introducing a "problem" tenant is the absolute worst thing they ever want to do.

Come by, talk about your sailing experience, liveaboard experience, and show that you're not bat-sh|t-crazy.

I know it might suck to have to jump through those hoops, but as a tenant here for the last few years with our 2 year old daughter now, I'm really glad there's a filter in place to weed out as many nut jobs as possible.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 19:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: San Diego Liveaboard help!

If you are traveling more than you are at home then maybe you could find a marina as a non liveaboard. Most marinas allow a certain number of days each month onboard for any tenant.

So find a place you like and initially stay gone as much as possible and when you are there be inconspicuous. Most places aren't out counting every night you're there.

After you are there a while and they see you are a good tenant, keep your boat and dock area clean and neat, don't make a lot of noise late a night, don't throw loud, drunken parties, etc then quietly add a few more days. If your work keeps you gone that often you can probably slide in under the radar.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 19:23   #5

The mooring fields are run by San Diego Mooring Company. The one right by us in America's Cup Harbor has a 2-6 year waiting list (for sub leases or permanent leases). We've been #1 on the list since November, and we'll be leaving the country before our spot opens up.

The Laurel Street anchorage (big one, down by the Embarcadero) is noisy as hell. The Coast Guard choppers are hovering 50% of the time, and you're directly in the jet wash (sound wise) from the airport. It's a great place to park a boat but from experience it's a terrible place to live on one. I can't speak about Coronado; I don't spend a lot of time in south bay.
Old 16-06-2012, 19:24   #6

Last comment: San Diego Mooring Company offices are right next to Sun Harbor here, so if you want to stop into one you can stop into the other 30' away. Point Loma Marina is also in the same building as the mooring company's offices.
Old 16-06-2012, 20:21   #7

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Re: San Diego Liveaboard help!

You could always try pier 32, those guys seem to need tenants...not that I would recommend living there but....

Tags
liveaboard, san diego