Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2007, 13:38   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 - No Worries
San Diego liveaboard

I just bought a Catalina 30 in San Diego. 10 years ago I had lived aboard the same type of boat on Shelter Island and really did enjoy the lifestyle. I'm just about to begin shopping for a house in the area but would prefer to stay on the boat until the closing date which should take 1.5 to 2 months for the entire process. Looking for recommendations for a marina that currently has a 30 ft. slip available. With my work I'm usually gone during the week, but sometimes would be there for several days at a time. So technically I would have to have a liveaboard slip. Normally there is a long wait for this type of slip. Are there any marinas either on SD Bay or Mission Bay that would be tolerant of occasionally staying beyond the 48 hour limit?

As one poster had mentioned:

They get more money by renting slips to week-enders and people who don't come to the boat often. Why? They don't need the extra staff and their facilities go unused 90% of the time, as do the boats tied up. A liveaboard needs to get mail usually, takes showers frequently, has needs of the marina from time to time, etc... All this costs money. The marina, in order to maximize profits (and attract the most wealthy clients they can screw with higher rates) does better without liveaboards.

I can understand the reasons marinas need to limit liveaboards. However my situation is in a so called gray area. I take my showers either on the boat or at a nearby health club, have PO box etc. Therefore use little of the marinas services. Also my boat is absolutely spotless and just had a survey. I keep a low profile and usually no one would even realize I was there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 15:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
It is always easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 16:47   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Looking for recommendations for a marina that currently has a 30 ft. slip available.
My guess is the market changes hourly. Slips are more scarce in San Diego than about any place on the planet. You live in a very hard market.

Quote:
I can understand the reasons marinas need to limit liveaboards. However my situation is in a so called gray area.
I think it's more like either you are liveaboard or you're not. You can't be partly not living aboard. There is not gray area slip rates with a short supply.

The weekenders pay more money per foot and they buy more stuff. In fact all they really do is buy stuff except when they are not there. There is easily more money in weekenders. The problem is you can't always rent out all the slips all the time to just weekenders. If they could then they would get rid of all the liveaboards. Most marinas would.

I would expect you need to walk a lot of docks and talk to a lot of people to find a slip and then pay a lot too. They really don't care how good your boat looks. Sometimes it really is all about the money.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 20:13   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
Sunroad Marina generally has slips available. they may not have liveaboard slips, but once you get in somewhere, it's usually a quicker wait. i LOVE our marina, Sun Harbor, but they always say there's a wait when people call (we only waited about 3 months.)

Good luck!
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 23:15   #5

Re: San Diego liveaboard

Hello!

I'm looking to rent a boat for myself as a live abound. I am a single woman, I don't smoke, and very clean and quite. I work at West Marine on Rosecrans
Can anybody help me or offer me some good advice?

Thank you
GreekMermaid
Grkmermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 02:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mermaid.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 02:54   #7

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grkmermaid View Post
Hello!

I'm looking to rent a boat for myself as a live abound. I am a single woman, I don't smoke, and very clean and quite. I work at West Marine on Rosecrans
Can anybody help me or offer me some good advice?

Thank you
GreekMermaid
Some marinas forbid having someone who is not the owner live aboard.

Most owners want access to their boat once in awhile, and therefore don't want someone living on it.

Having said that, if you are still interested, you are probably going to have to walk the docks and find someone who owns a few boats. Perhaps Craigslist could help.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, san diego