Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 06:26   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Sailrite Sewing Machine

Can you use a Sailrite sewing machine for "regular sewing"? I have a traditional sewing machine that I use for things like mending/sewing clothing items and small projects around the house. I would like to have a Sailrite so that I can sew the heavier sunbrella fabrics, recover cushions, and do my own sail repair, but I don't want to take 2 sewing machines with me. But one would be heavy-duty, and the other would be fine needle sewing (I'm guessing here). What do you think?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:37   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Sailrite Sewing Machine

Yes you can use the Sailrite machines for lighter-duty sewing; you just need to change the needle and the thread/bobbin tension to suit the thread you're using.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:39   #3

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Do you know if I can do the reverse? use a regular sewing machine for the heavier fabrics? I'm working on making cushions for our cockpit on our small sailboat... but the UV thread I bought is really thick.... I've been afraid to try it..
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:03   #4

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Do you know if I can do the reverse? use a regular sewing machine for the heavier fabrics? I'm working on making cushions for our cockpit on our small sailboat... but the UV thread I bought is really thick.... I've been afraid to try it..
I agree with Suijin that you can use the Sailrite for lighter-duty sewing. As for using the regular machine for heavier fabric, I think that may prove difficult. I had a lighter machine before purchasing my Sailrite and the motor would not have been able to handle what I've done so far.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:27   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
It's a matter of power and thread tension. You can put in a needle to match the thread, then try it. I don't think you'll hurt the machine but you'll be frustrated by it's performance.

When you buy a Sailrite it comes with a QA test patch that they sewed...like six layers of heavy duty vinyl. Pretty serious power lol.

Your machine may well be able to handle making cockpit cushions. It's all a matter of what kind of fabric/material you choose and how many layers you're sewing together. So if you make box edge cockpit cushions out of vinyl with piping around the edges I'm pretty sure that a standard duty machine would not cut it. If you're making cushions out of lighter material, like mesh or whatever, you might be fine, but I don't have direct experience using a lighter machine for this kind of work so don't know for sure.

Best bet is to go ahead and try with your machine. If it works you save some money on the cost of a new machine.

One big upside is that Sailrite machines hold their value extraordinarily well. It's not uncommon to see used machines going for 80%+ the cost of a new machine
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:39   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Wife has made pillow cases and napkins with our LSZ1 and didn’t change any adjustments and it worked fine, so try first
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailrite, sewing machine