Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2015, 04:58   #16

Boat: Endeavour 37
Re: Sailorchic...Inverter size to run dorm fridge?

Sailorchic... the Renogy flexible solar panel is worth considering. They're not cheap, $220 for 100w panel, but very light and can be placed anywhere. I have 2 of these panels tied to the top of my Bimini and wired to a 20 amp mppt controller. Works well for me.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
BozSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 06:35   #17

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
................ Plus I now have a permanently attached boarding ladder (from ebay) that I can deploy from the water. So things are getting down right plush on the Rose.
A boarding ladder is far from being "plush", it's an important safety feature that is often overlooked and not mentioned in many of the boating books.

Last spring, my wife mistakenly got off our swim platform onto the same side of the dinghy that I was already sitting on and dumped both of us (and the puppy) into the water. Without the boarding ladder (deployable from the water), we would probably have had to be rescued by someone else. As it was, I told her to put the ladder down and we climbed back onto the swim platform.

There are any number of ways you can find yourself in the water unexpectedly and on many boats, a boarding (or swim) ladder is the only way to get back onboard.
Old 17-02-2015, 07:04   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozSail View Post
Sailorchic... the Renogy flexible solar panel is worth considering. They're not cheap, $220 for 100w panel, but very light and can be placed anywhere. I have 2 of these panels tied to the top of my Bimini and wired to a 20 amp mppt controller. Works well for me.

PLEASE do NOT use flexible ones - they are reported to last 5 years at max but moncrystal's are reported to last +20 years and are far more effective
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 07:26   #19

Boat: Endeavour 37

moseriw... you may be right about the flex panel's more limited life, when mounted permanently and used (and exposed) year round. However, as an add-on for extra power at anchor or seasonal use for us New England USA cruisers, they can serve a good purpose. And their light weight is also a plus when it comes to mounting options. And, at my age (69), my remaining extended cruising years may be closer to the somewhat lesser panel life, although I'll take all I can get.

BozSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 17:21   #20

Ima fridgy and installed a packed unit from west supply with 6 ince insulated walls. Split in two with small opening II could open and adjust. Would hold ice cream in freezer and more. When frozen foods were gone, put everything into freezer compartment. 12 or 23 volt dc system is best due to a 10% loss thru inverter. It's the insulation that is most important. Dorm friges are cheap junk if you are not hooked up to shore power not worth it. Live onboard for 8 years, sailed from Buffalo,NY to Australia. Half of it single handed w/no problems w/refrigeration.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 18:40   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemate View Post
Dorm friges are cheap junk if you are not hooked up to shore power not worth it. Live onboard for 8 years, sailed from Buffalo,NY to Australia. Half of it single handed w/no problems w/refrigeration.
Hum, I've only lived aboard 10 years, though 8 with a dorm fridge ($140) While I'm at dock some, I spend a lot of time at anchor, many months in summer in the delta.

Well a 12V system with lots of insulation would be lovely, my purse is lacking big bucks for a marine fridge. Yes the inverter is only 90% efficient. But even with that, I still only use 2.5 amps per hour and that's in 90 degree delta summer heat. So for $200 for fridge and inverter and another $50 for a backup inverter, Life is pretty good. I've yet to have problem one with my fridge, and yes I do sail and I'm currently at anchor.

To Ron: totally agree about a deployable boarding ladder. Its a bit tricky though with a sailboat due to freeboard. I had a rope ladder that I made that was deployable from the water, though I never used it. The new ladder is the bees knees and at least an anchor, should I fall in, I'll be able to get back out of the water. Sooo Nice.

And an update. I've added the third panel ($117 from ebay including shipping) Now on a sunny day the batteries and laptop are fully charged by noon ish. I worked 6 hours today doing engineering and now that the sun has set, the batteries are sitting at 100, ok 99 percent.

I made the third a floater, with clips that hold it to the lifeline and ropes to secure it and adjust the angle. This one I can move port or startboard and tilt to maximize the sun. My other two panels are fixed with a single pivit from vertical / down to 120 degrees up, so somewhat limited adjustment.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 15:29   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Status for the electric works on my Calypso V47
3 House batteries 225Ah each
1 Victron 1,6 Kw inverter pure sine wave
1 300l dorm freezer/fridge A+

Electrician said that the fridge may consume up to 2Kw starting the compressor.

My problem is that I insist on a strict isolation of all house batteries.
Charging side is done by Cyrix-ct
Load side is done by Victron battery combiners 80A.

so guess... if the inverter consumes 1600A / 12V = 133A + House with say 64Amps = 200A on the combiners of 80A and they will burn.

Yes you can solve this easily by skipping the batt isolation but then the batts will charge/discharge themselfes trying to equal the voltage.
Means a significant reduction in lifetime of the AGM's AND if one Batt brakes the whole bank will go over river jordan.

Solution. Thanks god I am in a cheap country: 145l top loader customized fridge freezer box with 12V/230V for about 600 USD and the problems are gone.

Yes Sailorchic of course your solution is perfect for you with a single batt I assume but my consumtion here with AP, Nav, Fridge, PC etc will be around 180A a day, the Batts give me 108A and the Solar panels a surplus of maybe 100Amps a Day. Nevertheless charging of 100A ++? with the 7,5Kw Genny has to be daily then.

Ah yes and the Victron Inverter 1,6Kw will be replaced through a Victron 350W Inverter for Charging the mobiles and the Nav Computer.
And if I want to use the Microwave or the washing machine I do it in the time I charge batteries with the Genny
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 15:45   #23

a big thanks to SailorChic for bringing real world examples to us, it helps to have some empirical data to offset the predictions of the number crunchers too...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 18:29   #24

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
a big thanks to SailorChic for bringing real world examples to us, it helps to have some empirical data to offset the predictions of the number crunchers too...
Yes, some people like to make things more complex than they need to be. Thanks to sailorchic for standing up for the simple way.

FWIW, I bought a cheap 700w inverter from an auto parts chain store, ten years ago. Before installing it I opened the case and sprayed the interior with Boeshield T-9. Then sprayed the exterior. After ten years in a salt air environment it still works without ever giving me a problem.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 14:08   #25

Hi we refitted with self sufficiency in mind.
Got house batteries 330ah capacity 1 x 300 w(700w) mod sine wave inverter of ebay to run fridge.
130watt in mono panels works well most of year and we cruise at least 1/2 days per week so engines give total recharge.
Run 11 weeks in uk last summer fridge off solar charge no probs.
Look on ebay for parts

Sent from my HTC One S using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wmcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 14:09   #26

We have full seperate pure sine wave inverter for all other outlets on boat

Sent from my HTC One S using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wmcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 10:05   #27

Boat: Island Packet 40

Hi SC34, good to hear the purple monster is still going well.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, sail, size