Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2015, 08:53   #16

Boat: '83 Bayfield 40 Ketch
Re: Sailing Yachts with owners/masters cabin.

This may be too late, but I suggest you look at a Gozzard 36/38. They have a very unique master cabin, that also can be opened up for a more roomy feel. The bed(s) swing from side to center configuration, which provides that walk around access you mentioned!
Cap'n Dan

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DJBolder1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:55   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajucito View Post
Try the beneteau 44cc or 42 cc Great boats for extended cruising and within your budget
Uncommon, but Beneteau also made a 36cc. Delivered one once, nice little boat.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 19:52   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi again.

I see that most of the folks responding to this topic have recommended boats that are more often found in the USA. The OP is in the UK and wants to sail the Med.

The OP mentioned he wanted a mostly walk around double berth in a master stateroom. I understand the appeal of those when at anchor or in a marina. But, for extensive cruising, many boats have split berths in the after cabin, with one side having a double, and a single on the other side of the cabin. This can be best if the boat is heeled while on passage. Some have a drop in cushion that can make the two split singles into a large double (like a Vberth usually has). I would not rule these out just because they do not have a "walk around queen bed" in the stateroom.

Here are a few boats that are within the budget and found in the UK (and sometimes in the Med):

Westerly Ocean Lord
Westerly Sea Lord
Westerly Conway

The Westerly Conway is a few years older, but if you found an example that had been recently refitted, it may be a good option, allowing you to save more of your budget for additional gear you want and/or for more in the cruising kitty for fun while cruising.

Here is an example I found today, and if you notice this one has had some important updates to major systems (sails, engine, rigging, galley). It is an older boat, compared to the next boat I include in this post, but it is also $20K less in asking price. Asking price is just the starting point.

1979 Westerly Conway 36 Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Located In:
Ipswich, Suffolk, United Kingdom

£*38,000 (US$*57,718)*

Quoted from the sale listing:
The Westerly Conway was one of the best sea yachts that Westerly ever produced. This example has been much updated and improved recently with 2013 standing rigging, 2015 mainsail, 2012 engine, 2010 hull epoxy treatment, full galley re-fit and also has Hydrovane self steering system. Well worth inspection - ready for her next ocean trip after recent re-fitting.

Another CF Member mentioned the Beneteau 393.

Here is a listing I found today that has had some recent new equipment added. Note, this is a former charter boat, and it is located in the Med now.

This style of boat can have an offset double berth in the forward part of the boat. I like this particular boat and the layout would be comfortable whether at sea or at anchor. Nice stern for swimming off the stern and nice salon and cockpit too.

2006*Beneteau Oceanis 393
Located In:
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Current Price:
EUR**69,000 Tax Not Paid (US$*77,390)*

Charter boat very good and usually services and maintained. Fully working. First owner from the start.
2013: new GEL batteries, new fridge ice box, new water boile
2014: Inside wood works, new full battened main sail, new roll Genoa, new TV antena, screen for nav. instruments in saloon and main cabin
2015: new Lazy bag, new bimini with incrusted solar panels (2x120W), new electric toilet pump, new manual toilet pomp, new ulphostery protection (leather), new cockpit cushions, new tender
2006 Beneteau Oceanis 393 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

With your budget (Up to $111K) I would look at boats in the Netherlands and France (Wauquiez boats come to mind).

Those are not too far from the UK (for delivery) and there can be many nice boats you won't find in the UK.

Good luck on your boat search!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, mast, sail, sailing, yacht