Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2019, 15:53   #136

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Sailing in recession ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
In the old days, that was called "Counterfeiting".
Its nice to reminisce about how good and honest the old days were. It usually requires a lot of selective memory. I recently helped clear out my wife's dad's garage. Found two big boxes with stock certificates that were given to him by his father, a broker. Dozens and dozens of bankupt, worthless stocks. Mining companies seemed pretty well represented. The companies in the good old days were as shady and shakey as today or in many cases much worse.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 15:57   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The economy has been so bad that I left to full time cruise 30 months ago at age 56. I have been spending mostly overbudget yet still have over 90% of the net worth I started with.

The market has been terrible
That's 4% loss per year, not additionally adjusted for inflation. That puts you at zero in 25 years. Enjoy.
Old 28-02-2019, 16:15   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingregger View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Frankly, I don’t see a recession coming (yet). The drone of negativity on Trump is endless. It’s all you hear since the media is far left. But the reality is he’s getting things done to move the US economy forward for a long time to come.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I agree with your depreciation point.

This ^^^ part I do not understand. Could you name three things? Please.

Tariffs? Nope, only hurt Americans and trading partners. Don't do anything for farmers, either.

Tax cut? Nope. Tax scam more like it.

What else ya got, 'cuz there is nothin' else "he's done."
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 16:51   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I agree with your depreciation point.

This ^^^ part I do not understand. Could you name three things? Please.

Tariffs? Nope, only hurt Americans and trading partners. Don't do anything for farmers, either.

Tax cut? Nope. Tax scam more like it.

What else ya got, 'cuz there is nothin' else "he's done."
Easy
1. Get rid of pesky foreign alliances
2. Get rid of pesky environmental protections
3. Get rid of caring about increased budget deficits

Really only 1 and 2 directly affect cruisers. I'll let you decide if it is a positive or negative affect
Old 28-02-2019, 17:23   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
3. Get rid of caring about increased budget deficits
Talk about unabashedly throwing the young under a bus, tossing out the Constitution, shirking responsibility. But hey, you got a boat, right?

"...in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity..."
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 17:50   #141

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Its nice to reminisce about how good and honest the old days were. It usually requires a lot of selective memory. I recently helped clear out my wife's dad's garage. Found two big boxes with stock certificates that were given to him by his father, a broker. Dozens and dozens of bankupt, worthless stocks. Mining companies seemed pretty well represented. The companies in the good old days were as shady and shakey as today or in many cases much worse.
We owned shares in Bond Corp 30 years ago. That's Allen Bond from Americas Cup days. We bought at a good price and went sailing. On a long passage we heard on the radio that they had doubled but we could not sell. By the time we sailed into Freemantle Bond Corp was finished, he ended up in jail. We still got very drunk though and made our son that night.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 18:36   #142

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Talk about unabashedly throwing the young under a bus, tossing out the Constitution, shirking responsibility. But hey, you got a boat, right?

"...in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity..."
Its funny that the only time anyone is concerned about the National Debt or deficits, is when the other team is in office.

IMO this will be our downfall, regardless of who is holding office when it happens. Lifetime politicians, on both sides are to blame for this.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 20:33   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRyder View Post

1. Its funny that the only time anyone is concerned about the National Debt or deficits, is when the other team is in office.

2. IMO this will be our downfall, regardless of who is holding office when it happens. Lifetime politicians, on both sides are to blame for this.

1. Not really. Follow the money...

2. Agree about downfall. But, both-sider-ism makes little sense based on history (last 50 years).
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:03   #144
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
That's 4% loss per year, not additionally adjusted for inflation. That puts you at zero in 25 years. Enjoy.
It wouldn’t because there’s over things. But thanks I guess for trying to save me
Old 01-03-2019, 05:28   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
1. Not really. Follow the money...

2. Agree about downfall. But, both-sider-ism makes little sense based on history (last 50 years).
Indeed follow the money.

Not sure what you mean by both siderism making little sense based on this history of the past 50 years. 10 years ago Greenspan admitted that his economic worldview of the preceding 40 years had been wrong. A "whoopsie" for the ages.

https://youtu.be/XQFq97ljy3k?t=111

Just months previous a prominent politician was touting Greenspan as the savior for the country's economic woes:

"Get ol' Alan Greenspan -- whether he's alive or dead. And um if he's dead, we'll put dark glasses on him and prop him up like they did at Weekend at Bernie's."

https://youtu.be/4SA__Ej_5zM

I see little distinction between the two sides in the past 50 years. I'm currently only familiar with one prominent person from either side that held a contrarian view wherein he used the term voodoo economics to describe how...ultimately...an individual can take from society...from the marketplace....far more than the person put in. So long as more minimum wage jobs came online and "unemployment rates" remained low and people could somehow buy all manner of Chinese goods on credit...the largess of society has been content in trusting the magic bean sellers.

Of course this is nothing new in history. Sooner or later the pitchforks come out and things get redistributed. The issue for me is that I don't want to get caught in the pitchfork crossfire merely because I own a boat (mine is old and I never partook in the finance/real estate/investing shenanigans of the past 50 years). It's reasonable to assume that others have another thing coming.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 14:40   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It wouldn’t because there’s over things. But thanks I guess for trying to save me
I was just trying to understand what the stats that you posted meant. The raw numbers didn't make a point for me. You can be pretty sure that I'm not a savior.

Tags
sail, sailing