Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2015, 15:18   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Laboe - Germany
Posts: 443
Re: Sailing east thru Panama Canal

@ AaaSkypilot: You saw the info on noonsite?

Procedures for Transiting the Panama Canal —

Regards,

Carsten
__________________

__________________
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 17:24   #17
Registered User
 
CarinaPDX's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Posts: 1,674
Re: Sailing east thru Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
It's likely that no one has responded to your post that has any real knowledge.
I hate to criticize a moderator, but this is simply wrong. I for one did a Pacific to Caribbean transit 20 years ago and have posted about it, and I would be surprised if other posters didn't also have personal knowledge: that is a cheap shot.

IMHO the reasons that more info was not forthcoming was 1) the question posed was so general that the answer would fill a large tome, and 2) netiquette calls for searching a forum first before starting a new thread, and this was clearly not done and also would clearly have answered many of the OP's questions. It is unreasonable to expect members to continue to re-post their knowledge for every new member. Even with very long threads it is appropriate to read from the OP to the end before posting - something that is often ignored here - and only then posting any questions.

The advice given to the OP was correct: search for relevant threads first, read them in their entirety, and then post. By appending a post to an existing thread the subscribers (those who have cared to weigh in on the topic earlier) will become aware of the question, with a high probability of a useful response, with less duplication of effort by contributors. A search for "Panama Canal" will return literally pages of threads; there is even a "Panama Canal" tag.

I'm sorry if this sounds rude - it is certainly not intended that way. It is simply how forums work, or at least should work. I am on several forums of a very technical nature where starting a new thread when others already exist on the topic will garner very pointed responses about making it harder for others to find the active thread, not searching first (often quite nasty on that), and just generally being lazy or a noob. I like that we are usually not that way here, but that does not mean there isn't a need to learn and practice netiquette. And telling someone to "search first" should be considered helpful in that regard, and not offensive unless couched in rude terms.

Greg
__________________

__________________
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 17:42   #18
Guy
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So. Oregon, USA
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 4,308
Re: Sailing east thru Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Aaskypilot, I did make an earlier statement about the direction of passage through the canal, but not anything of value for you. I have been through the canal twice, but never with any responsibilty for the passage and once over fifty years ago.

I do expect that there are old posts that you could search, but usually people with knowledge are willing to provide information. It's likely that no one has responded to your post that has any real knowledge.

Please be patient with any comments from those who claim you are "wasting their time". No one needs to spend time on posts that they are not interested in. Wishing you success! - Hudson Force
We don't see it the same way. If someone is actually going to sail to Panama and not just think about it, they will put a little more effort into their questions about going through the canal. How you came up with the idea that those who responded had not been through the canal is a puzzle.
__________________
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 18:10   #19
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,413
Re: Sailing east thru Panama Canal

The time I passed from the Pacific to the Atlantic Oceans using the Canal, it was from south to north, if not in a northwestern direction.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 18:19   #20
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: Sailing east thru Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Post #2 has it right: there are several threads on the Canal that are chock full of info - best to start there and then come back for questions instead of starting from scratch.

From LA the trip to Panama should be done in the winter, beginning in November at the earliest and arriving in Costa Rica no later than the end of the 3rd week of May (beginning of hurricane season). Personally I arrived in CR right then and stayed the 3 months allowed (great stop) before moving on to Panama and the Caribbean for the winter season. Of course it is quite possible to start out after Thanksgiving and be through the canal with time to find a home for the hurricane season in the Caribbean. There are several good alternatives, so it really depends on your preferences.

Greg
Greg, This is an exception among the list of posts that have not provided any expertise for the OP and I should have not said that "no one" has likely had any real knowledge.

Beyond this, there is little advice here to benefit the OP. Certainly post #2 identified the real need and benefit that comes with searches, but any further criticizing of a new member for asking less defined questions is undesirable. I would hope that our members would not gather in attacking members with less experience.

If anyone else has experience that is worthwhile to the OP then, they could make note of that by sharing their wisdom. Otherwise, the point about searches was made early.
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 08:04   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sailing the Caribbean
Boat: Switch 51
Posts: 1,498
Re: Sailing east thru Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I do expect that there are old posts that you could search, but usually people with knowledge are willing to provide information. It's likely that no one has responded to your post that has any real knowledge.
This is not true at all. Here is a post where we provided quite a bit of detailed information, along with other posters. It just didn't merit reposting when it, and loads of other info, is so easily found.
Panama Canal - Pacific to Atlantic - Lessons learned & tips to pass on
__________________
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 09:33   #22
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: Sailing east thru Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
This is not true at all. Here is a post where we provided quite a bit of detailed information, along with other posters. It just didn't merit reposting when it, and loads of other info, is so easily found.
Panama Canal - Pacific to Atlantic - Lessons learned & tips to pass on
This is great information for the OP and posting the link is the sharing of knowledge that is so helpful and doesn't require reposting. It is true that people, like yourselves with experience, are very helpful.
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 09:40   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego
Boat: Piver tri Serena
Posts: 26
Re: Sailing east thru Panama Canal

Panama Canal fees from the ACP as of August 2015:
For recreational vessels up to 50' LOA, the transit toll is $800, the TVI Inspection Charge is $54 (same for all LOAs), the Security Charge is $130 (same for all LOAs), the Buffer Fee is $891 (same for all LOAs).

For 50 to 80 'LOA, the transit fee is $1,300. Add the 'same as' fees above.
For 80 to 100' LOA, the transit fee is $2,000. Add the 'same as' fees above.
For 100' LOA and up, the transit fee is $3,200. Add the 'same as' fees above.

We were just adding this pricing structure to the Transiting the Panama Canal chapter in our nautical guidebook Cruising Ports: the Central American Route.
This doesn't include paying your line handlers, agent fees, rented gear, etc.
But I hope it helps you estimate some of the official costs involved. The Panama Canal remains one of the world's best short cuts.
__________________
Nagivator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 14:22   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,947
Re: Sailing east thru Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I hate to criticize a moderator, but this is simply wrong. I for one did a Pacific to Caribbean transit 20 years ago and have posted about it, and I would be surprised if other posters didn't also have personal knowledge: that is a cheap shot.

IMHO the reasons that more info was not forthcoming was 1) the question posed was so general that the answer would fill a large tome, and 2) netiquette calls for searching a forum first before starting a new thread, and this was clearly not done and also would clearly have answered many of the OP's questions. It is unreasonable to expect members to continue to re-post their knowledge for every new member. Even with very long threads it is appropriate to read from the OP to the end before posting - something that is often ignored here - and only then posting any questions.

The advice given to the OP was correct: search for relevant threads first, read them in their entirety, and then post. By appending a post to an existing thread the subscribers (those who have cared to weigh in on the topic earlier) will become aware of the question, with a high probability of a useful response, with less duplication of effort by contributors. A search for "Panama Canal" will return literally pages of threads; there is even a "Panama Canal" tag.

I'm sorry if this sounds rude - it is certainly not intended that way. It is simply how forums work, or at least should work. I am on several forums of a very technical nature where starting a new thread when others already exist on the topic will garner very pointed responses about making it harder for others to find the active thread, not searching first (often quite nasty on that), and just generally being lazy or a noob. I like that we are usually not that way here, but that does not mean there isn't a need to learn and practice netiquette. And telling someone to "search first" should be considered helpful in that regard, and not offensive unless couched in rude terms.

Greg
+1. Except for the hate to critisize a mod part, not an appropriate comment for a mod IMHO.

I have also transited the canal, just last year, so not only inappropriate, but verifiable incorrect in at least our two cases.
__________________
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 17:46   #25
Guy
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So. Oregon, USA
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 4,308
Re: Sailing east thru Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
+1. Except for the hate to critisize a mod part, not an appropriate comment for a mod IMHO.

I have also transited the canal, just last year, so not only inappropriate, but verifiable incorrect in at least our two cases.

Friends back in the US actually caught us on the video cams in the Pacific side locks.
__________________
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 12:38   #26
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: Sailing east thru Panama Canal

Some people have expressed offense with my earlier post quoted below in it's entirety. I apologize to those that misunderstood my intent and I'd like to clarify my intentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Aaskypilot, I did make an earlier statement about the direction of passage through the canal, but not anything of value for you. I have been through the canal twice, but never with any responsibilty for the passage and once over fifty years ago.

I do expect that there are old posts that you could search, but usually people with knowledge are willing to provide information. It's likely that no one has responded to your post that has any real knowledge.

Please be patient with any comments from those who claim you are "wasting their time". No one needs to spend time on posts that they are not interested in. Wishing you success! - Hudson Force
There are four points I wanted to express here:

1- I did not post good advice because I don't have valuable experience.
2- Most people with valuable experience post good advice.
3- Most who post without advice do not have valuable experience.
4- We should not harangue new members that ask questions that have been asked before.

I stand by these four points and I see why my poor phrasing could have been offensive to some.
__________________

__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Panama, Panama Canal, sail, sailing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Wanted: Panama thru Canal to Mexico Greg4cocokai Crew Archives 4 13-01-2015 05:27
US East Coast to Panama Canal Rod Headlee Atlantic & the Caribbean 13 21-10-2012 16:50
Trip from East Coast Florida, Through Panama Canal to Phuket, Thailand doocruiser Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 5 09-02-2011 09:34
Martinique to / thru Panama Canal ejlindahl Atlantic & the Caribbean 2 11-02-2010 18:46
Sailing thru the Suez Canal - any difficulties? ESutton Meets & Greets 3 24-11-2008 12:31



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:53.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.