Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2013, 10:16   #1

Sailing Asia

Hi I am looking at buying a yacht in Thailand and am considering sailing around this whole area for a couple of years too have a look around! Could anybody recommend good reading material on these and surrounding waters!!! Also I work in Aussie on a 3weeks on 3weeks off roster so will have to fly in/out so always need to be in reach of a airport at end of my break I presume this is feasable! any advice on cheap airlines and traveling advice

Just general advice on yachting and commuting in this area also safe marina,s to leap frog too so I can leave her secure when heading back to work this could be a problem!!!

any advice would be very much appreciated!!!

Cheers

Chris
Kristov93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 11:00   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Sailing Asia

Hi Chris... its all in Phuket for you.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 12:53   #3

Ha Mark it seems it is, cheers for your uncanning yet inspirational and elaborate reply!
Kristov93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 16:43   #4

Boat: CT-47
..... And in the Philippines and Malaysia.
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 18:11   #5

Location: We still have our apartment in Beijing, but now we are cruising full time, currently in the western Med.
Boat: Tayana 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristov93 View Post
Hi I am looking at buying a yacht in Thailand and am considering sailing around this whole area for a couple of years too have a look around! Could anybody recommend good reading material on these and surrounding waters!!! Also I work in Aussie on a 3weeks on 3weeks off roster so will have to fly in/out so always need to be in reach of a airport at end of my break I presume this is feasable! any advice on cheap airlines and traveling advice

Just general advice on yachting and commuting in this area also safe marina,s to leap frog too so I can leave her secure when heading back to work this could be a problem!!!

any advice would be very much appreciated!!!

Cheers

Chris
You find everything here: http://www.southeastasiapilot.com/
Sindbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 20:08   #6

Boat: Freewind 40'
Send a message via Skype™ to Moufflon

Hi Kris
I have lived in Phuket for 4 years with my boat, I say lived with because I have been working on her, so cannot write live-a-board sailing area reply.
Phuket has 4 Marinas, All on the East cost, more sheltered than the West, near the middle are: Boat Lagoon & Royal Phuket, both have crane slip and hard, they were built as part of property developments, Royal is slightly up market to Boat Lagoon, but, Boat lagoon have every boat trade in and around it, including several marine chandlers. They both share a winding creek entrance.
Two warning’s here.
First, Depth, I am told that if your draft is greater than 1.8mts you need a full tide even then you need to wind with the main stream,
The second, its that both marinas are home to 20+ tour boats, they are “Driven” by 20 year old white van drivers. Be warned, do not try your fist entry, between 8-10am or 3-5pm they will blow you away. You need to check for space as they both appear quite full.
Slight more North, still on the East coast is AoPo Grand Marina, this is an “All Tide” marina, with Hard and slip, lots of Marine work down, found that staff and management helpful.
Nearby in AoPo fishing village there is a new hard run by “Farlangs” Aussi I think
Up North of the Island there is Yacht Haven, nice open marina, but a long way for the shops, further North is a small old local slipway and hard that has had a lot of money spent on it in the last year.
To the South of the Island, is Ah Chalong bay, the bay is sheltered and has a strong cruising community, but, the “White Van” drivers are here in numbers.
Thailand is great, ALL the Marinas have boats for sale.
RGS///Peter
Moufflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 20:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristov93 View Post
Could anybody recommend good reading material on these and surrounding waters!!!
probably one of the best books available for this region ...

Southeast Asia Pilot 4th Edition

have a look here ---

Southeast Asia Pilot 4th Edition

cheers
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 20:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moufflon View Post
Slight more North, still on the East coast is AoPo Grand Marina, this is an “All Tide” marina, with Hard and slip, lots of Marine work down, found that staff and management helpful.
hi peter,

ao po is, IMHO, the best place to berth ...

you can come and go as you please and additionally, it's a right on the edge of the most gorgeous cruising grounds around - phang na bay. and it's run very professionally.

at rpm & yacht lagoon, i have seen some of the bigger yachts further in sitting on mud when the tide's out ... i also know of folks who were given a time slot to enter, failing which they could potentially sit outside for upto a week ... that's a bummer ...
Old 29-05-2013, 20:45   #9

Boat: Freewind 40'
Send a message via Skype™ to Moufflon

Hi BigJohn

Very true, But, be aware of the Isolated rock just North of AoPo, its not on chart.
RGS///Peter
Moufflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 21:01   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindbad View Post
+1
Old 29-05-2013, 21:03   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

There,s a lot more places to stay in Thailand away from Phuket ! Depends what you want i suppose..
Old 29-05-2013, 21:49   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moufflon View Post
Very true, But, be aware of the Isolated rock just North of AoPo, its not on chart.
oh absolutely Peter ... i assume you are referring to the one just to starboard of a 270 track to the marina entrance ...

always need to keep eyes open ...

Old 29-05-2013, 22:56   #13

I don't want to rain on your parade, but have you thought through the logistics of what you are dreaming about??

Leaving aside boat purchase and sailing ( they are the easy bits), I am referring to the travel back and forth from aus. I am guessing you are in a somewhat remote mining area?

Travel takes time(and money). Full fare it is possible to step off one plane onto another (but difficult). Budget invariably involves delays, layovers, etc. Budget requires booking in advance. Looking at a budget promo fare Sydney to Phuket is interesting, but does not match real life, and cant be repeated on a 3 weekly cycle.

I travel a lot to SE Asia, and the realities involve a couple of days minimum from my boat in central Queensland to my destination, and vice versa. Travelling budget. Full fare would not shave much off that time. I suggest you would blow at least 1 week out of your three weeks off, on travel.

Just wondering if you have done the trip often.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 22:58   #14

Oh, forgot. Maybe Phuket becomes your place of residence, nd fares are met as part of your FIFO contract??

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 01:57   #15

It depends on where you are travelling from / to, and what your interests are. Depending on where you want to sail and what routes you can get cheap flights on, you could also consider marinas in Langkawi, Johor, or possibly Puerto Galera.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia, sailing