Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-06-2013, 13:39   #16

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)
Re: Sailing Asia

Hi Chris
I live/work in Laos and I bought my boat in Phuket last year and I am more than happy with the deal and the boat. There are several brokers with offices in most of the marinas.
Try:-
phuket boat sales - used boats and yachts for sale
Boats for Sale, New and Used Boats, Power, Sailing Yachts - www.yachtworld.co.uk
Simpson Marine: Asia's Leading International Yacht Broker since 1984.
but there are others as well, do a google search. There are also sales in the brokers window and nothing beats just walking the pontoon and chatting to people about boats that are on sale but not advertised.
Prices are really good, about 2/3 the price in Oz. Even paying 5% import duty and 10% GST when you take it back to Oz you are ahead.
Three weeks on three off .... sounds like you are in the mining industry. Will you be coming from Perth or the east coast. There are direct flights to Phuket from the east coast and I think Air Asia now has a service from Perth via KL. Even if you have to go via Bangkok you are looking at about 12 hours flying time to Phuket from Sydney. Catch an overnight flight and you are there the next day before lunch.
I've done the trip dozens of times now. I have tried the budget airlines but by the time you add up all the extras, the longer flight times because they go via KL or Singapore the cramped overcrowded cabins I prefer the full service airlines like Thaiair. Its only a couple of hundred $ more but a world ahead in comfort if you have to do it regularly. Costs vary with season and specials but you can expect to pay anywhere between $600 to $1200 for a return ticket from the east coast, a bit less from Perth.

The other important thing you need to consider is exchange rates. I was lucky I bought my boat when the Aussie was near the top but depending on what your budget is a few cents difference in the exchange rate can translate to thousands of dollars difference in the price you pay. It looks like the aussie is finally dropping back. If you are serious about buying in the near future I would a good part of what you are planning to spend into US$ NOW and park it somewhere.
I'm looking for an experienced crew member the next time I take my boat out in late July/Aug if you want to try a week or so sailing Phang Nga and visiting some of the brokers and marinas PM me, we might be able to arrange something.
Cheers Ian

Old 02-06-2013, 02:02   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post

ao po is, IMHO, the best place to berth ...
Hi big John
I like Ao Po's access to the water as well. It is probably the best of all the marinas. But it's location on land is a big minus. It is quite isolated and only partly developed and the nearest village shop is 3 or 4 km away. If you have to rely on the local taxi Mafia they will scam you mercilessly. One time they charged me 1500 baht to go into Phuket town, for a trip which the other way was only 500 baht. Not one of the four taxis in the rank would shift. I even tried ringing for a taxi to come out and pick me up and he refused saying he was to scared.
All the marinas have their pluses and minuses.
Boat Lagoon and royal Phuket are the most convenient despite the poor water access. They are close to the towns and with the best facilities but also the most expensive and popular with the white shoe yotties.
Yacht Haven in the northern part of the Island has I believe the best berths. It is also the closest to the airport, and there is quite a nice little village nearby with shops and eateries in walking distance. Also the taxi Mafia will break ranks if you know the right ones.
There are a couple of options on the other side of the Bay which no one has mentioned. South of Krabi a new marina / resort / real estate project is being developed. Not much there 12 months ago except half a dozen boats, a partly built block of apartments and a very modest little cafe. Again it is very remote and an expensive taxi trip to get into Krabi township. Krabi airport however is much closer and you can fly in via BKK. Again water access is tidal and the channel seems to be silting up even at this earlier stage of development. We grounded two hours before high tide. It makes me wonder if these developers ever do proper hydrological studies. The best part however is he is offering a fantastic deal on long term leases at a slip. See their Web site.
Koh Lanta doesn't have a full service marina but it does have secure and managed anchorages at a good price. However getting there from Krabi or Phuket will take the better part of a day.

There is a very flashy website promoting a resort marina development right near Krabi. I don't know anything about it but I could not see anything from the water and there is no sign of it on Google earth.

Well thats about it as far as i know. All the options are a compromise in one way or another.
Best of luck

Old 02-06-2013, 02:47   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
Hi big John
ones.

Koh Lanta doesn't have a full service marina but it does have secure and managed anchorages at a good price. However getting there from Krabi or Phuket will take the better part of a day.

There is a very flashy website promoting a resort marina development right near Krabi. I don't know anything about it but I could not see anything from the water and there is no sign of it on Google earth.

Well thats about it as far as i know. All the options are a compromise in one way or another.
Best of luck
FYI
Its actually 2-3 hours Koh Lanta Krabi and 4-5 to Phuket buses leave every hour... in High season ferries are twice a day
Old 02-06-2013, 16:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
I like Ao Po's access to the water as well.
hi mausgras,

i agree with you 100% ... the taxi issue does exist ... but i guess i accept that downside for the advantage of being at ao po's location ... and the ability to come and go as i please ...

i usually don't go much into town ... just walk to the "happy hut" for food ...

i'd love to see the development near krabi/koh lanta ... any name or website?

thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 17:06   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Krabiboat Lagoon

Lanta Marine Services | Safe secure moorings in Ko Lanta

trying to find some more..
Old 02-06-2013, 17:34   #21

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Ao Po looks a little exposed to me. Is this a problem? On the issue of transport is it feasible to purchase and use a scooter if staying for any length of time?
Old 02-06-2013, 20:37   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Ao Po looks a little exposed to me. Is this a problem?
i've been and stayed there several times for extended periods ...

i honestly cannot say i was uncomfortable ...
Old 02-06-2013, 20:37   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
thanks mate ...
Old 02-06-2013, 21:26   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
thanks mate ...
Hi Big John
It looks like Emmalina beat me. I was writing from my phone and too lazy to look up the websites. But I have marked them on my Google maps. The imagery is old so you cannot see them but I believe I have the right locations.
Lanta Marine Services is at https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...d999d99874104d
and Krabi Boat Lagoon is I believe owned by the same guy who owns Phuket Boat Lagoon with location
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...437&iwloc=ddw1

check out http://yachtmrjohn.blogspot.com/2013...-malaysia.html for some more recent comment.

BTW - Here is the glamorous website for "Port Takola" near Krabi, but I dont see much being developed.
see http://www.porttakola.com/

There is also a small public mooring near the ferry wharf that was deserted when I checked it out but it looked convenient for those that want to go into town to check in/out at immigration etc or just do some shopping.

Personally I am quite happy with Yacht Haven on Phuket at the moment but maybe next year I will consider Koh Lanta.

cheers
Old 02-06-2013, 21:59   #25

Hi Emmalina. .. Do you know, if I fly into Krabi airport do I have to go into Krabi Town to pick up a bus to Koh Lanta or can I get transport from the airport direct. ? Maye I have to walk out to the Highway to pick one up?

Tags
Asia, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: