Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2013, 22:33   #31
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,416
Re: Sailboat or motor yacht?

The sailboats I observe are usually motoring. They have efficient hulls so get good mileage. On the other hand, they have limited fuel tankage. So going long range, they need sails.

__________________

__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 22:51   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: Sailboat or motor yacht?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The sailboats I observe are usually motoring. They have efficient hulls so get good mileage. On the other hand, they have limited fuel tankage. So going long range, they need sails.

Some sailboats have been build for long range, perhaps not those built for the charter market.

What's the powered range of Steve Dashew's designs for one.

What's your range Mark?

Cheers
__________________

__________________
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 22:54   #33
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,416
Re: Sailboat or motor yacht?

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

What's your range Mark?
A thousand miles, plus .
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 23:00   #34
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,459
Images: 69
Re: Sailboat or motor yacht?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandw View Post
My husband and I are considering selling our house and purchasing a boat to live aboard. I am looking for advice regarding living aboard a sailboat vs a motor yacht. We love the idea of a sailboat and being able to do long trips without the huge cost of a motor yacht, but my gut tells me that a motor yacht might be a better choice for us because living space and an open, light living quarters is important. I am not sure, as we are not retired, how many long trips we will make and I want to make sure we are comfortable on a daily basis. Any feedback would be very welcomed!
If you want open, light living quarters and space, as well as the ability to sail, consider a catamaran.

Our boat:

__________________
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 23:18   #35
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,416
Re: Sailboat or motor yacht?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
If you want open, light living quarters and space, as well as the ability to sail, consider a catamaran.

Our boat:
I was surprised. That was almost as noisy as my 80-horsepower John Deere diesel engine.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 00:06   #36
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,459
Images: 69
Re: Sailboat or motor yacht?

Don't know what drugs you're using.
__________________
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 01:06   #37
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,088
Re: Sailboat or motor yacht?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The sailboats I observe are usually motoring. They have efficient hulls so get good mileage. On the other hand, they have limited fuel tankage. So going long range, they need sails.
I only motor in and out of my marina Berth, I bought a sail boat so I could sail, sail boats make inefficient motor boats, if you aint gunna sail them the you may as well buy a motor boat.
__________________
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 01:08   #38
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,088
Re: Sailboat or motor yacht?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I was surprised. That was almost as noisy as my 80-horsepower John Deere diesel engine.
Seriously.

That was the sound of wind on a microphone, the sound of a sail boat sailing, quite well I might acknowledge. Doing 9 knots boat speed when some condo cats would be motoring.
__________________
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 12:44   #39
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: Sailboat or motor yacht?

I read above that the choice is to be made by comfort, lighting, where you cruise or the distance of your cruising, but I don't see those as deterrmining factors. Sailing is a sport that is separate from boating. If you're thrilled by sailing, then buy a sailboat. If sailing is not a sport that you have a passion for, then buy the motor boat. I've put 6,460 hours on my current refit engine in my sailboat, but I love sailing and some of my most enjoyable sailing is without a destination. I think sailboats are the choice for those that like to sail!
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 12:59   #40
Moderator
 
Adelie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Posts: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

I only motor in and out of my marina Berth, I bought a sail boat so I could sail, sail boats make inefficient motor boats, if you aint gunna sail them the you may as well buy a motor boat.
Depends on how you define inefficient. If you mean interior living space for purchase price then yeah they are inefficient. If you start talking miles per gallon the the sailboat will have it all over the power boat.
__________________
A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
SailboatData
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 13:04   #41
Moderator
 
Adelie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Posts: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I read above that the choice is to be made by comfort, lighting, where you cruise or the distance of your cruising, but I don't see those as deterrmining factors. Sailing is a sport that is separate from boating. If you're thrilled by sailing, then buy a sailboat. If sailing is not a sport that you have a passion for, then buy the motor boat. I've put 6,460 hours on my current refit engine in my sailboat, but I love sailing and some of my most enjoyable sailing is without a destination. I think sailboats are the choice for those that like to sail!
I think that sailboats are the choice for those that like to sail and those that really want to go some where far away but don't have the money for fuel or the powerboat capable of going offshore.
__________________
A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
SailboatData
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 13:54   #42
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: Sailboat or motor yacht?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I think that sailboats are the choice for those that like to sail and those that really want to go some where far away but don't have the money for fuel or the powerboat capable of going offshore.
I don't see the choice as a question of money. Are those on snowboards unable to afford snowmobiles? Are the cyclist just those that can't afford automobiles? I will admit that there is a faction that use boats for low income housing and those are often sailboats, but these are not the same group as those that are cruising and sailing. Though, I do understand your point. I'm sure there are some that, with more money, would choose to have the power boat. My thoughts are highly influenced by my own thrill with sailing even though, admittedly, I will not hestitate to motor to make a day's destination.
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 14:09   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 474
Re: Sailboat or motor yacht?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I think that sailboats are the choice for those that like to sail and those that really want to go some where far away but don't have the money for fuel or the powerboat capable of going offshore.
I know I wouldn't be able to buy a boat and then continuously buy fuel month after month. Especially if I had to quit a job to be able to go cruising. If sails were the only option, you might have some issues getting to certain places on time or on any kind of schedule. Not that it would be a big deal, but it might be nice to avoid some weather.
__________________
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 14:27   #44
Registered User
 
Teknav's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas - USA
Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Posts: 1,838
Re: Sailboat or motor yacht?

...and there are a few of us who like to fly to remote destinations in order to spend fewer hours, if not days, getting there; maximizing local watersports fun. It takes all kind...

Mauritz
Sailing is for short distances. Flying is for long distances.
__________________
Retired - Don't Ask Me To Do A Damn Thing!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 14:35   #45
Moderator
 
Adelie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Posts: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post

I don't see the choice as a question of money. Are those on snowboards unable to afford snowmobiles? Are the cyclist just those that can't afford automobiles? I will admit that there is a faction that use boats for low income housing and those are often sailboats, but these are not the same group as those that are cruising and sailing. Though, I do understand your point. I'm sure there are some that, with more money, would choose to have the power boat. My thoughts are highly influenced by my own thrill with sailing even though, admittedly, I will not hestitate to motor to make a day's destination.
But it is a question of money for some people.

I know someone on this forum that went around the world on a boat that cost $10k outfitted and another $10k food, fuel, etc.
$20k would barely pay for the fuel bills to cross the Pacific.

I intend to go to New Zealand and expect to do it for $80k: sailboat, outfitting and 16-18 months living expenses for 4. $80k wouldn't even buy me the power boat to do that.
__________________

__________________
A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
SailboatData
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
motor, paracelle, sail, sailboat, yacht

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reinell 26' - My First Sailboat systech Monohull Sailboats 36 18-05-2017 08:50
Looking for a Cruising Sailboat ! Soon2bsailor Monohull Sailboats 12 05-10-2014 21:32
Coast Guard Rescues Four People from Sinking Sailboat in NJ hazle Cruising News & Events 3 14-10-2011 19:09
Want To Buy: Trade My Paid-for Real Estate for Your Cruising Sailboat ! aajimb Classifieds Archive 0 09-10-2011 17:42
Need Help with a Sailboat tigpop Monohull Sailboats 2 04-08-2011 17:10



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.