Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2011, 02:53   #16

Re: RUN OVER !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Insurance will not pay for damages done while operating a vehicle/vessel while drunk.
Not entirely sure about this. The Victim doesn't care what the relationship is between the insurance and the other owner. The victim will sue, and let the other two fight it out but in general I think the ins. company will have ahard time walking away from the victim. They will have to sue their insured to recover the loss.

There's no point in Liability insurance otherwise.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 03:13   #17

Boat: Top Hat Mk 2 25 foot

My experience with insurance companies is that they find loopholes in anything.

2 examples.
1: A friend had a neighbours tree fall through his house during a bad storm. Neither insurance covered it.
2: I had an office which I vacated and with the landlords permission left furniture and fittings in case the new tenant wanted to buy it from me. New tenant moved in when landlord was away, communications got crossed and they destroyed, threw out and/or claimed all my stuff. No come back and insurance refused to pay. No break in. The new tenants had a right to be there and keys. Same goes for your house, and I presume boat. If anything is not locked and/or the theif did not break in then no insurance.

I reaslise both of these are dry land. But.........

Lucky you are ok and no one was hurt.

More examples: Flood damage in Qld?
I am sure we can think of heaps.
My favourite maritime insurance movie is the Billy Connelly fim "Act of God" I think it was.
Aussie Sealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 03:14   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklegirl50 View Post

28 meter power cat vs. 38 ft. sailing cat -

NZ capt. says he lost power; his port bow ran up on our port bow.

Gets better - he is apparently so frickin' rich that he does not need insurance. I guess if his boat sinks, the Cayman Islands Corp. to which the boat is registered will just buy him a new one.

Don't know about damage yet - we will have to have someone check it out for us.

picture is of power cat backing down off of us. hope the link works.
Perhaps you now own a 28m power cat to sell to cover your damages.
Old 27-10-2011, 03:40   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklegirl50 View Post
Gets better - he is apparently so frickin' rich that he does not need insurance.
That's his problem, not yours. But simply having a big boat and Reg Offshore doesn't mean "rich" - could be flat broke (hence no insurance). Loads of Assets - even more Debt..........no cash.

Quote:
Don't know about damage yet - we will have to have someone check it out for us.
Get in touch with your insurance company ASAP and read your own policy (if not done so already ).....might have some form of legal cover.

With a bit of luck the rich guy will simply write a cheque, class would be adding a crate of Champagne
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 03:59   #20

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Insurance will not pay for damages done while operating a vehicle/vessel while drunk.
Not true in the US...driving while intoxicated accidents are covered all the time....you will probably be dropped immediately but they cover you the first time...it's even stated clearly right on my declarations page.

PLUS...just because someone SAYS they were drunk when entering the marina doesn't mean it so.. PLUS in a maritime investigation...it might be rather hard to prove based on how long it may take the officials to investigate.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 04:06   #21

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Sealady
My experience with insurance companies is that they find loopholes in anything.

2 examples.
1: A friend had a neighbours tree fall through his house during a bad storm. Neither insurance covered it.
2: I had an office which I vacated and with the landlords permission left furniture and fittings in case the new tenant wanted to buy it from me. New tenant moved in when landlord was away, communications got crossed and they destroyed, threw out and/or claimed all my stuff. No come back and insurance refused to pay. No break in. The new tenants had a right to be there and keys. Same goes for your house, and I presume boat. If anything is not locked and/or the theif did not break in then no insurance.

I reaslise both of these are dry land. But.........

Lucky you are ok and no one was hurt.

More examples: Flood damage in Qld?
I am sure we can think of heaps.
My favourite maritime insurance movie is the Billy Connelly fim "Act of God" I think it was.
You are not right on point number two. You left your stuff - essentially abandoned it in the eyes of the law. Unless you had a written deal with your landlord saying "he would be responsible for your stuff" then you are SOL.

Watch the people's court a couple of times - you can learn the basics of contracts, leasing, and property bailments.

If you DID have such a written agreement with your landlord - then sue him and you will win!
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 05:31   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Why didn't you call the Baltimore City Marine unit. They have primary jurisdiction in the Harbor.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 05:36   #23

I put a picture on my albums page, if the link did not work for you. Unfortunately in the heat of the moment, we did not get a pic of the boat actually sitting on top of us.
sparklegirl50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 05:38   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Ouch!

That's his problem, not yours. But simply having a big boat and Reg Offshore doesn't mean "rich" - could be flat broke (hence no insurance). Loads of Assets - even more Debt..........no cash.

Get in touch with your insurance company ASAP and read your own policy (if not done so already ).....might have some form of legal cover.

With a bit of luck the rich guy will simply write a cheque, class would be adding a crate of Champagne
We alerted the insurance company right away. Now, after the fact, we are questioning the guy's claim that he does not have insurance. After all, it's a requirement at the marina. We plan to talk to the office today, since the guy has already left for warmer climes.
Old 27-10-2011, 05:47   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: RUN OVER !

Sheesh..... they let him walk...
When I got rammed off Salcombe, the harbourmasters along the coast were alerted and the French boat was held until everything had been sorted satisfactoryly...
Thats well lax.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 05:49   #26
Eternal Member

If he has left the Marina, you are probably going to be hard pressed to get any thing. I have been "stiffed" by two "Canadian Yachts"......It took me months of searching to track them down in the Carribean......Finally got paid.
Old 27-10-2011, 05:50   #27
Eternal Member

Are the Cayman Islands a "monkey flag" nation?
Old 27-10-2011, 05:58   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sheesh..... they let him walk...
When I got rammed off Salcombe, the harbourmasters along the coast were alerted and the French boat was held until everything had been sorted satisfactoryly...
Thats well lax.....
Yes, but he is a regular customer here at the marina. We WILL get it sorted out one way or another.
Old 27-10-2011, 06:04   #29

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

I'm no insurance lawyer but my understanding is that boat #2 insurance would pay the policy holder and then the company would sue the insurer for boat #1 who would deny liability because the policy holder was drunk. That would mean that the suit would flow through to the owner of boat #1.

But don't take my word for it - check your policy. The favorite words out of the mouth of an insurance company after the fact are "you're not covered for that". Of course they never get around to mentioning that before they cash your cheque.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 06:49   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
I'm no insurance lawyer but my understanding is that boat #2 insurance would pay the policy holder and then the company would sue the insurer for boat #1 who would deny liability because the policy holder was drunk. That would mean that the suit would flow through to the owner of boat #1.

But don't take my word for it - check your policy. The favorite words out of the mouth of an insurance company after the fact are "you're not covered for that". Of course they never get around to mentioning that before they cash your cheque.
Just to be clear, I have never said or implied that he was drunk. He says he lost power, no way to prove otherwise. He was pretty well raked over the coals by both DNR (whom we did not call, but he heard us trying to hail the other captain on the radio) and the Coast Guard. He is pissed that we did not "settle" this "between ourselves", but he obviously is not familiar with the mind-set of Americans, who like to sue, sue, sue over anything at all! You are not in Oz anymore, mate.