Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2016, 04:03   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: GREEN COVE SPRINGS, Florida
Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Posts: 362
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2
Re: Rules for Canadian's living out of Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
Is there a translator on the site for all the Canadian acronyms??

Most people in Canada qualify for two government pensions:
CPP ~ Canada Pension Plan.
OAS ~ Old Age Security.
__________________

__________________
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 14:22   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 23
Re: Rules for Canadian's living out of Canada?

I retained 2 tidbits of valuable-to-me information during my 3 years at Service Canada.

The first is that it is important to file tax returns every year even if there are no changes to your income or deductions. The cost-of-living increase is based on these returns.

The second is that every pensioner should call 1-800-O-Canada periodically and ask this specific question: Am I getting all the benefits I am entitled to? The reason is that they (ESDC/Service Canada) periodically introduce new benefits and we (the citizens) need to check if we qualify. I am told that the call centre staff will run through a list of questions and the answers will determine eligibility. As an example, when I was there (over 10 years ago now) they were introducing the CRDO Initiative (Child Rearing Drop Out). At the time it was geared towards women who had children from 1959 to 1965 (I think - please check website for the dates) and stopped working outside the home. These now pensioners were not contributing to the CPP/ thru their employers, the GoC wanted to recognize their efforts. Have there been new initiatives possibly.

If my memory is correct, it seems that any of these programs/initiatives are payable retroactively for the past 11 months from the time we call. Im planning on calling every 10 months and I need to find the out-of-country 1-800 number.
__________________

__________________
yahtzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 18:46   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5
Re: Rules for Canadian's living out of Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee View Post
I retained 2 tidbits of valuable-to-me information during my 3 years at Service Canada.

The first is that it is important to file tax returns every year even if there are no changes to your income or deductions. The cost-of-living increase is based on these returns.

The second is that every pensioner should call 1-800-O-Canada periodically and ask this specific question: Am I getting all the benefits I am entitled to? The reason is that they (ESDC/Service Canada) periodically introduce new benefits and we (the citizens) need to check if we qualify. I am told that the call centre staff will run through a list of questions and the answers will determine eligibility. As an example, when I was there (over 10 years ago now) they were introducing the CRDO Initiative (Child Rearing Drop Out). At the time it was geared towards women who had children from 1959 to 1965 (I think - please
check website for the dates) and stopped working outside the home. These now pensioners were not contributing to the CPP/ thru their employers, the GoC wanted to recognize their efforts. Have there been new initiatives possibly.
If my memory is correct, it seems that any of these programs/initiatives are payable retroactively for the past 11 months from the time we call. Im planning on calling every 10 months and I need to find the out-of-country 1-800 number.
Good luck finding an out of country phone number for service Canada. My buddy tried that and I had to call for him. When I asked for a number that works out of country they just gave me one that did not.
__________________
Sonny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:11   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Boat: Island Packet 40
Posts: 1,376
Images: 7
Re: Rules for Canadian's living out of Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post

Actually, one question just came to mind - would maintaining Canadian registration on your boat while cruising not also be evidence of a settled intention to return?
Very interesting point, even goes to whether you could be considered as still residing in Canada?
__________________
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 18:00   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Canada
Boat: Shopping, Looking and dreaming. Looking for liveaboard, under 45 ft sloop.
Posts: 3
Re: Rules for Canadian's living out of Canada?

Thank to all for the replies! I guess the bottom line is talk to the professionals.. Ya even the ones in the government �� Find out what you have to do and go for it. I plan on returning regularly and maintaining property here so I don't think I will run into many issues.. But ... "If it's going happen.."

Thanks again!
__________________
Wbeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 18:01   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Canada
Boat: Shopping, Looking and dreaming. Looking for liveaboard, under 45 ft sloop.
Posts: 3
Re: Rules for Canadian's living out of Canada?

Thank to all for the replies! I guess the bottom line is talk to the professionals.. Ya even the ones in the government 😉 Find out what you have to do and go for it. I plan on returning regularly and maintaining property here so I don't think I will run into many issues.. But ... "If it's going happen.."

Thanks again!
__________________
Wbeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 18:38   #22
Registered User
 
Ribbit's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 655
Re: Rules for Canadian's living out of Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Very interesting point, even goes to whether you could be considered as still residing in Canada?
I would think so - flags are important, and territorial.

Courtesy flags for example aren't just a courtesy. They are an acknowledgement that as a visitor, you are subject to the jurisdiction of the host Country.

If I am flying the Red Ensign, then I am on British Territory under British jurisdiction.

That's why "Planting the Flag" on new lands, was so important. It extended jurisdiction.

This was how Obama managed to put a tax obligation on yachts in transit, flying the Stars and Stripes. Those on board, are 'in' America.

Of course if people are flying a 'courtesy flag' in addition to a Stars and Stripes, they may still be liable, but if they lower the Stars and Strips while being guests and flying the courtesy flag . . . . . . . maybe they won't be.

It's certainly something that has now been unnecessarily complicated, and needs proper clarification (which generally happens when some poor sucker is hauled in front of a jury of their peers - as it is a jury that determines if legislation is lawful, as if it is not lawful, it is illegal, and void).
__________________
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 05:34   #23
Registered User
 
Sunsetrider's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sharbot Lake Ontario
Boat: Albin 25
Posts: 138
Re: Rules for Canadian's living out of Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
it is a jury that determines if legislation is lawful, as if it is not lawful, it is illegal, and void).
Juries determine facts, not law.
__________________
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 06:06   #24
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,592
Images: 240
Re: Rules for Canadian's living out of Canada?

FWIW:

Determining your residency status ➥ Determining your residency status

CRA form NR73 - Determination of Residency Status (Leaving Canada)
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/nr73/nr73-12e.pdf
NR73 - Determination of Residency Status (Leaving Canada)
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 11:39   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 23
Re: Rules for Canadian's living out of Canada?

Here's the link for 1-800-O-Canada:

Calling 1 800 O-Canada From Around the World - Service Canada

This page was last updated in May 2014 so caution is advised. Also the link to Canadian embassies/consulates is not working at this time.

Are these documents that skippers generally have on board?
__________________

__________________
yahtzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Canada, rule

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canadian cruising US Permits and Rules kennys Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 0 16-12-2014 20:42
Canadian Sewage Discharge Rules hummingway Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 27 05-05-2012 12:42
Rules for a Canadian Boat in Europe Philippe Dollars & Cents 4 28-07-2010 05:57
Canadian buying canadian boat in Florida Rastarea Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 7 08-02-2009 10:15
Buyiing a Canadian-Registered Sailboat from Another Canadian in Guatemala squarehead General Sailing Forum 2 14-01-2008 06:47



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.