Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 21:36   #181

Boat: OPB
Ok, really I was not going to say anything, but now that this thread has sprung back to life..... Way back in the beginning, someone said one of the things they hated was guests kids jumping on their ( catamaran's) trampoline. Really? Is this bad? I am a monohull guy, but have always sort of thought that for long term live aboard cruising a cat might be a good idea. My kids on the other hand, think that the only boat worth owning would obviously have a trampoline on the bow. So what I want to know is why is it bad for kids to jump on a cats tramps? Are some tramps better suited for an occasional bounce than others? My kids dream of cruising the South Pacific on their own mobile bounce house have been crushed! Say it ain't so.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:16   #182

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Rules & Etiquette for Visitors Aboard Your Boat

I. Grind,

It's so.
Watch any multihull crew guy during a race. They walk, even almost run, but with their upper body not moving up and down at all to minimized tramp loading.
Also, never step close to an edge to prevent point loading of the attachment to the hull.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:44   #183

Boat: PT-11

Its not about the damage to the boat (although its a PITA to string a tramp), but rather the risk to the kid. Even at anchor if one falls through you can't guarantee a safe reboarding.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:47   #184

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Do any of you around here wear those captain hats with the scrambled eggs and bong yourselves on and off your "yacht"? Because in the spirit of like-minded attracting like-minded, we probably wouldn't be a great match for sailing on each other's boats.
I just make everybody salute the ensign and ask permission to come aboard
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:50   #185

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
Are some tramps better suited for an occasional bounce than others? My kids dream of cruising the South Pacific on their own mobile bounce house have been crushed! Say it ain't so.
I have limited experience, but the trampolines I've seen don't have springs so very much jumping would break something.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:55   #186

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hildebrandt View Post
After ten years and more than 80 guests, crew and family, I have a 8 page summation of what I expect.
if I invite a lady to be a guest as a date, she does not have to contribute for the first week. Should the date develop beyond merely a casual adventure, and a longer, more permanent relationship is desired, the subject of contributions towards the operation of Juno is discussed.
Along with all the useful info, I love the entertainment this forum provides me with .

I was wondering if the 8 page summation contains the information about "your week's up, babe", or is it in a separate document?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:45   #187

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Once had invited guests who brought their two "Drop Kick" dogs. The dogs were polite but ran up to the V-berth and took a dump on our new quilt.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:02   #188

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Along with all the useful info, I love the entertainment this forum provides me with .

I was wondering if the 8 page summation contains the information about "your week's up, babe", or is it in a separate document?

Good one! I just reread most of this thread for the laughs.

Good medicine.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 19:14   #189

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52

Somehow, I think we are comparing apples and bananas.

Most of us are talking about not needing so many rules for family and friends and are absolutely correct.

People that we know that well we have already discussed these issues with them and there is no problem,

I believe Tom has a much different issue where he needs his 8 page list.

He seems to be picking up extra hands along the way, people that he does not know that well, that tell him they have all kinds of experience, people that he pays are are just looking for a free ride.

They are not just going for a joy ride or weekend.

Two completely different situations.
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 20:16   #190
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySea Lady View Post
Somehow, I think we are comparing apples and bananas.

Most of us are talking about not needing so many rules for family and friends and are absolutely correct.

People that we know that well we have already discussed these issues with them and there is no problem,

He seems to be picking up extra hands along the way, people that he does not know that well, that tell him they have all kinds of experience, people that he pays are are just looking for a free ride.

They are not just going for a joy ride or weekend.

Two completely different situations.

My rules:

1) I'm the skipper

2) See rule #!

A couple of weeks ago I volunteered to take recent sail school graduates out for a sunset sail. sounded pretty simple, right?

As I was asking, for the third time, for someone to NOT take lines off -- she said, "You know, I've RACED." Oh really? Well, not on my boat ... please drop the line and let me do it. If she jumps in without instruction, someone less experienced will do it next.

I spent five minutes showing one of the fellows why I lead my sheets through the cleat with a figure 8 on the end. He did both of them. She walked by and said to him, "take those knots out!"

No kidding. He looked at me, and I looked at her and said "I want those knots there."

There was NO wind. Must have been very frustrating; less to take charge of inappropriately.

Once it's established that I'm the skipper, THEN we can talk about the nitty-gritty.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 20:17   #191
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySea Lady

That's not what he said. Here's what he actually wrote: "This set of protocols is given to everyone, ( fellow seamen who have circumnavigated, family members and the complete stranger who is a novice) if they are on board for more than a day trip, they read the protocols or at least tell me they have read them! "

He also said that everyone who comes aboard Juno for more than a daysail pays him a per diem.
Old 12-11-2012, 17:21   #192
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The best answer

fixing things (other boat owners are more grateful for this last point than anything else you can do, in my experience). Is it rocket science? My mom taught me the principles of this when I was about six years old, I don't know about the rest of you.
'Fixing things' are you kidding? I hate this! they do it badly use the wrong tools etc I allways end up redoing it to my standard it drives me Insane, if you ever come aboard my boat please dont fix anything unless I ask you to .
Old 12-11-2012, 17:30   #193
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
'Fixing things' are you kidding? I hate this! they do it badly use the wrong tools etc I allways end up redoing it to my standard it drives me Insane, if you ever come aboard my boat please dont fix anything unless I ask you to .
Another good reason not to charter your boat. While chartering up in the San Juan Islands I once re-wired a windlass with just my leatherman tool.
Old 12-11-2012, 17:38   #194
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post

My personal pet peeve -- "repurposing" lines. I saw a guy trying to remove a line from a fender -- because he wanted to use the line for something else. I have lots of extra line on the boat, and if I have a line somewhere -- it's there for a reason. You may not know what the reason is. That doesn't mean you should use it for something else!

Everything on my boat is where it is for a reason. you may not agree -- but it isn't your boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 18:03   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

Everything on my boat is where it is for a reason. you may not agree -- but it isn't your boat.
Interesting and valuable observation.

With now 14 years of experience with our boat, and with a reasonable amount of thought on a case-by-case basis, everything has been figured out to be where it needs to be, each of them for a distinct purpose. I singlehand lots of the time, and when introducing new folks, explain why things are where they are: it's usually a result of a LOT of work and planning: which is figuring out how to do LESS work in the long run! When you're alone, it's important to minimize the back-and-forth tasks that folks with normal crews sometimes take for granted.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote