Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2016, 19:51   #346
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Richardson Bay liveaboards, heads up!

These morons are typical of the liveaboards in Richardson's Bay, despite what the "experts" like sailorchic or wrong might say. But let's be sure to allow these losers continued unrestricted access to a prime, world class anchorage.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 21:08   #347
ASD

Boat: Camargue Yacht Fisher 48ft

Insurance?? Yeah right. Squatters don't insurance and this kind of thing just drives up those of us that play by the rules......
ASD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 22:48   #348

Boat: Parker Dawson 26

And they have a sweet old Chieftan. I would love to have one of those to run up and down the Missouri river on.
Aswayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 07:49   #349

Boat: O38 & J24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
These morons are typical of the liveaboards in Richardson's Bay, despite what the "experts" like sailorchic or wrong might say. But let's be sure to allow these losers continued unrestricted access to a prime, world class anchorage.
Sorry for the confusion. The collisions in the photo above occurred yesterday in the Oakland estuary...however, they are related to RB. Law enforcement calls it 'the winter migration'...where some squatters in derelict 'boats' [aka maritime debris] migrate by choice or broken lines out of RB to seek relief from Marin's winter winds by attempting to make their way to either Emeryville or the Oakland channel. However, unlike RB or Emeryville Cove, these 'craft' get evicted or taken [federal grants now exist for removal and responsible destruction] from the Oakland channel by the joint USCG/Port/Oakland & Alameda police/Alameda County Sherriff cooperative task force every few months in order to protect the busy Port and Coast Guard base. This winter migration is a pain for the authorities and responsible boaters...as anyone who was out this past Sunday or monitored the distress channel could attest. Calls about 'boats' that had broken their moorings and had no power (nor radios) were broadcast throughout the afternoon. Come warmer weather, the migration reverts back to RB and the population of derelict boats there dramatically increases. BTW, the photo below was taken Sunday of a derelict row boat found adrift just south of RB near Alcatraz with 1/2 eaten sandwiches but no mariners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Richardson Bay adrift derelcit boat 012416.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	117883  
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 07:53   #350
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluer de Mer View Post
Sorry for the confusion. The collisions in the photo above occurred yesterday in the Oakland estuary...
I stand by my statement nonetheless.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 14:37   #351

Quote:
I stand by my statement nonetheless.
I can't speak for SailorChic, but henceforth I encourage everyone wanting to know anything and everything, the whole truth and nothing else about Richardson Bay to rely upon fstbttms and Fleur De Whatever it was... They's da expurts.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 15:16   #352

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
This may have happened in the Oakland Estuary...
But the first line in the above quote is still true and accurate.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 20:42   #353

Boat: O38 & J24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASD View Post
Insurance?? Yeah right. Squatters don't insurance and this kind of thing just drives up those of us that play by the rules......
Update on the derelict collisions noted in post #345. Unfortunately the 'boater'/squatters didn’t leave contact or insurance information on either boat that they impacted. The owner of the Cat estimates the gelcoat damage will run > $1,000 to repair. And we learned that the cruiser’s owners are two retired elementary school teachers who apparently live on a modest fixed income. For their sake, hopefully the damage from the force of the midship T-bone remains localized to the 2 foot dent and didn’t shatter the fiberglass beyond. C’est la vie.
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 21:13   #354

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Why would that row boat be considered a derelict?

Looks pretty solid to me. Has a little chunk of glass missing in the transom and needs a new rub rail. Could use a good cleanup.
Old 31-01-2016, 23:46   #355
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m
Richardson Bay liveaboards, heads up!

I am ex-member of Zululand Yachtclub, I have anchored and moored everywhere at the time allowed there, been at the international wall tied up and risk damage because of large tidal difference. The maritime police in RB is extremely vigilant and don't want to hear or encounter anything that's not by their book. As foreign yacht visitor the reception is cold and you simply are advised to not anchor out if marinas! Tge marinas are pressurized by the municipal authorities not to allow liveaboards long term, more than 3 months. However if you are on the dry, maintaining repairing your yscht at ZY then you can claim yacht cannot sail. However after three months pressure will mount to go to hotel until yacht is seaworthy again. Now all these rules, regulations can simply be avoided by paying right amount to the right person!
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 13:46   #356

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

A big problem I see in the boating community is that there is no reasonable way to repair/maintain you boat if you have limited funds. Most it appear in RB could not afford to have a yard haul the boat and make necessary repairs. The cost is very high. Maybe an approach like having an organization, be it government or chartable have a place and means to do a haul out and allow a low income boat owner a specified time on the hard to repair s/his boat. I do believe most boat owners would keep their boats seaworthy if they could afford it. It won't cure 100% of the problem, but it sure would help.
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 14:09   #357
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Why would that row boat be considered a derelict?

Looks pretty solid to me. Has a little chunk of glass missing in the transom and needs a new rub rail. Could use a good cleanup.
Because in today's world if "I" don't like the looks of you or your property "I" get to label you a derelict, a bum, a hobo, white trash, an undesirable and then run you out of town. That's the way the game works in today's America.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 14:16   #358

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Because in today's world if "I" don't like the looks of you or your property "I" get to label you a derelict, a bum, a hobo, white trash, an undesirable and then run you out of town. That's the way the game works in today's America.
You really think that this is something new and only happens "in today's America"?
Seems to me like it has pretty much been that way world wide for thousands of years.
It is kind of the nature of mankind to resent people who are basically trashing up the place.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 15:50   #359
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinracin View Post
A big problem I see in the boating community is that there is no reasonable way to repair/maintain you boat if you have limited funds. Most it appear in RB could not afford to have a yard haul the boat and make necessary repairs. The cost is very high. Maybe an approach like having an organization, be it government or chartable have a place and means to do a haul out and allow a low income boat owner a specified time on the hard to repair s/his boat. I do believe most boat owners would keep their boats seaworthy if they could afford it. It won't cure 100% of the problem, but it sure would help.
It is true that haulouts and boatyards can be costly for boaters. Here in the Bay area--if one has their boat in Richardson Bay and goes up to the Delta for haulout--it's extremely affordable compared to other places in California. Well, at least Southern California. We have sailed up from SoCal twice in the last 5 years just to haul out in the Delta at an inexpensive DIY yard. Such a great savings for our heavy boat. Depends on length of boat and all but if a small vessel, you're talking a couple hundred dollars and a pittance for laydays for a small boat haul out. Of course, many boatyards require the boater to have liability insurance in order to haulout so there's another cost to protecting others from your boat--keeping it insured.

If a seafarer cannot afford a couple hundred for a boatyard and similar for liability insurance, it is likely they cannot afford the parts to keep the boat in safe operating condition either. For someone just looking for low cost housing, looking for a place on land in a more affordable environment than the San Francisco Bay Area then would be the solution for a frugal existence that doesn't put other boaters at risk (if the boater cannot afford insurance or occasional haulout) -- rather than a charity or government (seriously?) program to nurse along a situation that is already far too difficult.

Other inexpensive USA-based haulouts or ways to live at anchor? Go north to places where you can get on a tide grid or haul out with boatlegs on the cheap for between-tide work. The sailor still has to have the wherewithal to sail the boat north, pay for the bottom paint, thru-hulls or whatnot of course. If the sailor does keep on the move s/he will find him/herself more welcome everywhere s/he goes than one who parks indefinitely in one spot.
Old 22-02-2016, 16:12   #360

"there are boats anchored in Tomales Bay. The bar needs to be crossed in the early morning before the winds come up. It's a cool foggy place with again, no grocerys. Folks also need to eat. "

No groceries? That must come as a surprise to the owners of all the grocery stores around the bay. Or were you hoping for a floating one?

Tags
head, liveaboard