Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2015, 23:03   #106

Re: Richardson Bay liveaboards, heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
It would be pretty hard for the boats to break loose toward the marinas as most storms are nw or sw, which push boats away from the marina's. As to the courts, The words in forma pauperis come to mind. Even with a judgement, collecting on someone without assets would be at best a bit tricky.

Myself, I'm just thankful I'm not stuck in Richardson Bay in winter. That is a tough hard life.
Yes, " most " , but not all. Once every few years we get a solid blow from the NE or SE. The last 15 knot norther was enough to bring a derelict dock in the marina - fortunately it wasn't solid enough to do any damage. I meant the agencies/jurisdictions/counties etc that have neglected their respective roles will be sued - not the owner of the derelict boat - of course that would not get one anywhere.
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:07   #107

Boat: O38 & J24

...a garbage dump of derelict boats...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RB8.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	114462   Click image for larger version

Name:	RB11.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	114464  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RB12.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	114465  
Attached Images

Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:31   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluer de Mer View Post
res ipsa loquitur...
It's easy to find, then post photos - many years old - you have not taken yourself. I know for a fact most of the photos, take maybe one, you've posted are not in Richardson Bay today, nor have I seen them recently. The big white steel power (trawler?) boat has been there forever, and within the last year was towed to the 'destruction dock', but the facility is not set up to dismantle such a boat. So, it was towed back out. The wood double ender with all the junk on top was 'cleaned up' long ago, it's owner elderly and reluctant to let it go.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:41   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Let's not forget that at least one person has lost his life, trying to wrangle an adrift derelict POS boat in Richardson Bay during a winter storm.
When was that, in 2000? Certainly not making light of it, but I seem to recall the boat was not a derelict. Wasn't it a large trawler or power boat? I was actually watching the effort that day, just wasn't aware someone fell into the bay and drowned until later on. One death in the last 15 years due to a cooperative effort by a few to reign in a dragging boat is one too many, but statistically insignificant.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:00   #110

Offering convoluted explanations and excuses of the prior posted photos just reaffirms my point...RB is unfortunately a garbage dump of derelict boats. You are free to continue not to believe your eyes, but others don't have to do the same … http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2014-06-25#.VmWoiP_ruT8
Old 07-12-2015, 08:04   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
When was that, in 2000? Certainly not making light of it, but I seem to recall the boat was not a derelict. Wasn't it a large trawler or power boat? I was actually watching the effort that day, just wasn't aware someone fell into the bay and drowned until later on. One death in the last 15 years due to a cooperative effort by a few to reign in a dragging boat is one too many, but statistically insignificant.
it speaks for itself
Old 07-12-2015, 08:09   #112

Quote:
Offering convoluted explanations and excuses of the prior posted photos just reaffirms my point...RB is unfortunately a garbage dump of derelict boats. You are free to continue not to believe your lying eyes, but others don't have to do the same … http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2014-06-25#.VmWoiP_ruT8
Except that the link says the photo was taken in 2007.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:21   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Except that the link says the photo was taken in 2007.
Just one of the photos in the 2014 Latitude 38 article was a taken in 2007...to quote a previous contributor: "statistically insignificant"

Old 07-12-2015, 08:26   #114
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:

Well, it was 2008, but why bother with details?

I look forward to the inevitable ouster of the bums, criminals, druggies and other losers you are so intent on protecting.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:58   #115

Quote:
Well, it was 2008, but why bother with details?
Still statistically insignificant. I've got two year wise reference points for events in Sausalito/Richardson Bay. 1999/2000 and 2008/9. Those are the years I was here just prior to leaving for each of two near global circumnavigations.

Quote:
I look forward to the inevitable ouster of the bums, criminals, druggies and other losers you are so intent on protecting.
Funny. I have only one overarching objective in Richardson Bay, and that is there must be at least one well marked, organized, managed area for anchoring. For Local and transient boaters.

Otherwise, you may be surprised to know I've written a letter of demand to the RBRA the Agency 'enforce with immediate effect' Ordinance 87-1as it relates to mooring permits.. Copies to the BCDC and Sausalito Police Department. Properly enforced everyone who has an unauthorized mooring in Richardson Bay will receive a 15 day notice to remove the mooring. Failing that, the RBRA will remove the mooring at the owner's expense. It goes without saying most of the unauthorized moorings can be connected to a certain diver, D.S..

If the RBRA ignores my demand, I'll file a Petition for Writ of Mandamus in court with the objective to obtain an order that the RBRA comply.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:02   #116
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It goes without saying most of the unauthorized moorings can be connected to a certain diver, D.S.
Who are you referring to and how do you know it's that particular diver?
Old 07-12-2015, 09:14   #117

Quote:
Who are you referring to and how do you know it's that particular diver?
The operative word is "most". Some have put down their own unauthorized moorings without help. But in many cases they received assistance from D.S.. He's told me so. Tracing the origins of these moorings, current ownership (control) and usage is not easy. If you don't know who D.S. is, I'd be very surprised. There is nobody, and I mean nobody who knows as much about the unauthorized moorings in Richardson Bay than he does. Ask him yourself....
Old 07-12-2015, 09:26   #118
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The operative word is "most". Some have put down their own unauthorized moorings without help. But in many cases they received assistance from D.S.. He's told me so. Tracing the origins of these moorings, current ownership (control) and usage is not easy. If you don't know who D.S. is, I'd be very surprised. There is nobody, and I mean nobody who knows as much about the unauthorized moorings in Richardson Bay than he does. Ask him yourself....
I'm sure I do know the diver you are talking about but the intials "D.S." do not ring a bell.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:58   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
One mans garbage is another mans home. I love the lines of boat #3 truly a lovely looking vessel. A bit O paint and elbow grease and it would be welcome anywhere. Not what I would call a derelict at all.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:44   #120
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's the main point that all you anchor-out supporters continually fail to address. This statement was made 27 years ago:

"Nobody's guaranteed a free home," said Jeff Blanchfield, chief planner for the Bay Conservation and Development Commission, a regional body charged by the Legislature with regulating development on the bay. "It's like someone saying, 'I like Golden Gate Park and I'm going to build my house there.' "

Houseboaters on Richardson Bay Heading Into More Legal Storms - latimes

Tags
head, liveaboard