Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-02-2016, 22:37   #406
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Richardson Bay liveaboards, heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Newhaul, it was not an assault. Just saying poor people don't pay much sales tax for essentials because it doesn't apply to food (also provided free to the poor), medical care (ditto), housing (often subsidized, leastwise dirt bound), etc..
OK glad i did misread your statement however I fail to see the difference in the cost of essentials regardless of financial means. Food is not taxed in most states.
As far as medical care I can only speak as to my costs and I already stated my medical is free to me but I did earn it.
I estimate I pay about $200 a year in sales tax on the average.

Old 25-02-2016, 10:50   #407
ASD

Boat: Camargue Yacht Fisher 48ft

Wow been away for a while. So for those who are living in RB and are poor (can't afford to move) choose to be in this situation?

It would seem RB is not the only place where restrictions are being considered.

Anchoring restrictions bill advances in Florida Senate | Trade Only Today

ASD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 11:03   #408

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Many don't live on sailboats
And many live aboard boats in which the engine has long since ceased to function.
Old 25-02-2016, 11:14   #409
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASD View Post
Wow been away for a while. So for those who are living in RB and are poor (can't afford to move) choose to be in this situation?

LMAO! This has people in boot key harbor/marathon fl scared beyond belief! Florida is long tired of derelict boats/cheap boat owners who think everything is free especially coming ashore/water. Gonna get really ugly in Florida after this passes..
Old 25-02-2016, 11:18   #410

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:

I'm not so sure who chooses to be there. Sort of the place for broken dreams for many of them. I'm sure many would love to be elsewhere. Heck I would love to be on the east coast myself. But I've no funds for the canal.

Oddly RB already has anchoring restrictions in place and has for about 20 years or so. No money or willingness to enforce them as long as the boat has an occupant, it seems.
Old 25-02-2016, 11:27   #411

The kind of people who we are talking about here DO have a choice.
Even if they cannot find a job and pay taxes there are many other ways to become part of the community in which one lives.
There are numerous opportunities to volunteer time to civic associations, schools, and community services. Doing that would go a long way in changing the public perception of these folks.
If they are strong enough to row back and forth to their permanently anchored boat they are strong enough to do some volunteer work in the community thus becoming a part of the community.
The famous JFK statement, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country (community)", is really what this is all about.
The point is to give and make things better, not to take and make things worse.
I just don't see that happening in these anchorage ghettos.
Old 25-02-2016, 11:28   #412
ASD

If you want to go east, then make it happen! Make your dreams come true. Its your destiny and you have control over it. It won't be easy, but if you want it bad enough it will happen.

Nice thing about America, you can achieve anything you want!

I am tied of supporting those who are too lazy and expect tax payers like me to give them a free ride............
Old 25-02-2016, 11:30   #413
ASD

Well dang Liam you beat me to it.....
Old 25-02-2016, 12:21   #414

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
The kind of people who we are talking about here DO have a choice.
Even if they cannot find a job and pay taxes there are many other ways to become part of the community in which one lives.
There are numerous opportunities to volunteer time to civic associations, schools, and community services. Doing that would go a long way in changing the public perception of these folks.
If they are strong enough to row back and forth to their permanently anchored boat they are strong enough to do some volunteer work in the community thus becoming a part of the community.
The famous JFK statement, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country (community)", is really what this is all about.
The point is to give and make things better, not to take and make things worse.
I just don't see that happening in these anchorage ghettos.
AH, Guess you missed the part where many were retired and or disabled. Others do work. One lady is 67 and details boats to make ends meet. She was once a restaurant owner, who fell on hard times. She's one of those freeloaders. She own's a nice looking wood yacht, but most marinas in the bay area will not take a wood yacht.

The anchorouts working or volunteering, will not change the perception of folks ashore, who only see freeloaders. That many of those so called freeloaders do work, and have worked for many years, does nothing to raise the shore folks opinion.

Myself being a recluse and interovert, the idea of interacting with folks in person, gives me the Hebe gee-bees. Soooo not happening. I did my time working full time 50-60 hours a week for far too long.
Old 25-02-2016, 12:27   #415

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If you want to go east, then make it happen! Make your dreams come true. Its your destiny and you have control over it. It won't be easy, but if you want it bad enough it will happen.

Nice thing about America, you can achieve anything you want!

I am tied of supporting those who are too lazy and expect tax payers like me to give them a free ride............
Luckily, I've found that the delta area has a lovely climate for 9 months a year with fresh water, low humidity and lots O sunshine. Sometimes a bit windy but no where is perfect. Alas my life savings is less then $400, so going east will take a while.
Old 25-02-2016, 16:18   #416
ASD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Luckily, I've found that the delta area has a lovely climate for 9 months a year with fresh water, low humidity and lots O sunshine. Sometimes a bit windy but no where is perfect. Alas my life savings is less then $400, so going east will take a while.
Having visiting the area by boat (when we took delivery of ASD) I can say the Delta is a enchanting area and is on my list to return.
Old 25-02-2016, 16:57   #417

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large

Ads, I agree.
Where are your favorite anchorages and marinas?
I love the delta and so I am always looking for new great spots.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-02-2016, 17:14   #418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
SChic -- Being at anchor, you've got a low cost lifestyle--and you come and go so you're not seemingly on anyone's list of squatters. That's all good. Glad your life is good.

I'm from Indiana and though I haven't lived there in over 30 years, if I wanted a cheap existence (while working via the internet as you seem to do), and if I didn't feel I could properly maintain and sail my boat for some reason or another, I'd be back there or in one of the many other lower cost states in the union. A friend of mine just inherited her Auntie's house appraised at $8.5K. Located in a small town there. I thought it was a low appraisal for the estate. The friend was complaining the appraisal was too high because she finally sold the house for $7.5K 2 years after inheriting it. She had it rented out to someone for $200/mo in the interim. The friend lives in a house in Indianapolis that's worth about $35K. She recently sold the house her parents had when she was in high school -- I loved that house, $25K was what it sold for. None of these are unsafe neighborhoods either. The story is similar in some parts of Florida, Texas, gulf states. Someone I know who lives in Houston now just sold his mom's house in Corpus Christi for $35K. Nice place that was, too.

If an American wants to stay in the USA and doesn't really sail (face it, too many of the people living on boats in RB don't really seem to want to be boaters and don't know how to sail or even use the engine on their boat if it has an engine, they're just squatting because that's a way to have free or very low cost shelter) it is very much an option that they CAN relocate to some good places and have a high quality of life but seems to be those options are largely outside the Bay area. Why someone who isn't working here would possibly want to be here if they can't afford it??? makes no sense whatsoever. The world is big--there are many good places to live besides the Bay area for a non-sailing, low-income/no-income person.

The VA exists nationwide. Vets who want to make sure they have access to the VA need not be in RB or high cost parts of CA at all. My father in law used the VA in MN and AZ, my dad used the VA in WV, IN, and PA.

There ARE some great deals on low cost housing for seniors or people with disabilities right here in the Bay area -- but long, long waiting lists. My husband's aunt lives in Mountain View in a HUD assisted apt complex. Nice place, entirely. Safe and not the sort of place someone would say is run-down. She pays based on her income--which isn't much since she's on SS and that's based on her working essentially minimum wage jobs over the years. Her rent adjusts every year but it's about $150/month. In Mountain View. With free utilities. Free internet. Requirements? be a senior citizen, get on the waiting lists for some of these apartments. That's it. Any low income senior who is in the Bay area, wishes to stay, and isn't trying to get on those lists? I don't understand it. Those HUD assist programs exist expressly to help and I hope eligible seniors are going for it.
Quote:
The OP was writing this thread originally to complain about changes in RB. Those changes--bringing in moorings for many people and enforcing/restricting anchoring--seem to be to the benefit of boaters including low income boaters who are presently at anchor in RB.
So, do you approve of bringing in moorings that benefit only the Jones and Smiths at the expense of everyone else? And in order to ensure the moorings are used, anchoring is restricted or prohibited, even for long winded cruisers like you. But, relax, for the time being the Richardson Bay Regional Agency does not have the authority/power to do either. Furthermore, Sausalito is refusing to pay their share toward the mooring field preliminaries. Somebody in high places appears to agree with me.

Quote:
It is true that if someone is squatting on a hunk of junk it may not be possible for that particular someone to get one of the moorings or have the flexibility to come and go from anchor in RB. Those folks are going to need other options. Yes. But other options do exist. The OP is on a port-supplied mooring. He's living the life that the RB authority seems to be trying provide for other boaters in RB. This thread has gone far and wide away from the OP's original posts.
If your posts referring to my being on a port mooring were complete, others
would know why. Read my lips. One more time. My boat is on a mooring because the near-shore areas parallel to the main channel are clogged by numerous boats on unauthorized private moorings. The moorings are fondly referred to by the diver responsible for setting most of them as a two point mooring system. No mooring ball. Chain from a shackle/swivel arrangement beneath the water's surface all the way up to the deck... No way to know if the boat - outside asking the owner if aboard - is anchored or moored. Bet is on though they're ALL moored. So, you anchor amongst them. I won't. You call your shots and I'll call mine.

By the way. I'm a 'Nam era Vet receiving great care from the V.A. Hospital in San Francisco. But, that's not what brought me to Sausalito. My second near global circumnavigation was over and my appreciation for the S.F. Bay area is what always brings me back. Left my heart here...
Old 25-02-2016, 17:20   #419

My favorite Delta anchorages are Three River Reach and Potato Slough. Both are just off of the San Joaquin River deep water channel.
A good stop off on the way in and out of the Delta is the marina at Pittsburg. The docks are new, the showers super clean, guest slips are only about $15 a night and it is a short walk to a quaint downtown with some really good restaurants and shopping.
Old 25-02-2016, 17:46   #420

Good calls. Be aware of the new dam at False River, the water hyacinth problem that the A\State is refusing to acknowledge while even still planning that catastrophic water tunnel nonsense, and that Three River Reach was horribly weeded in when I was there last year.

More anchorages? Aw, c'mon, do you tell strangers about uncrowded great ski areas

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: