Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2016, 17:08   #361
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Richardson Bay liveaboards, heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
"there are boats anchored in Tomales Bay. The bar needs to be crossed in the early morning before the winds come up. It's a cool foggy place with again, no grocerys. Folks also need to eat. "

No groceries? That must come as a surprise to the owners of all the grocery stores around the bay. Or were you hoping for a floating one?
Not sure if your talking SF bay or Tomales Bay. SF bay has tons for sure, Grocery outlet, in Berkeley, Safeway in SF, Lucky in Alameda, trader joes in San Rafael. to name just a few. The folks at molly stones in Sausalito frown on my flip flops and lack of a benz. Can't really afford food there anyway.

My favorites has a free or mostly free dock near by and or delivery. Love delivery, BTW. So spoiled when I have delivery.

For Tomallas bay it's going to be a bit of a walk to point reyes station from marshal and yes water is skinny over by Inverness. Though Ok there are groceries there.

Guess I am picky....
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 17:24   #362
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Schooner Chandlery;2053296 For someone just looking for low cost housing, looking for a place on land in a more affordable environment than the San Francisco Bay Area then would be the solution for a frugal existence that doesn't put other boaters at risk (if the boater cannot afford insurance or occasional haulout) -- rather than a charity or government (seriously?) program to nurse along a situation that is already far too difficult.

.[/QUOTE]

I would disagree with that. Living on a boat even at $600 a month for a liveaboard slip in the bay is far less expensive then a cheap apartment. Not even close. Gee I've lived on $500-$600 a month since 2010 when I was right sized from my $90k/year job.. Of course I was already living aboard 5 years by then.

Can't do that in an apartment in the bay area. Heck, folks find free boats here and there that are not too bad off. It is the cheapest way to live that's above a cardboard box under an overpass.

Boat Insurance as you know is not required by law. So no foul there. I actually do carry liability insurance, but I suspect it's worth the paper its printed on.

As to haulouts, I was hoping to save the $1000 for haulout and paint last year. Alas that did not happen. Odd are it will be 2018 after SS kicks in when I'll have enough cash saved up for a haul out. Luckily there is 20-30 years of bottom paint on the Rose so the bottom is not too bad... I do hire a diver to replace the zincs and even clean the bottom once a year.
Old 22-02-2016, 18:29   #363
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Richardson Bay liveaboards, heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I would disagree with that. Living on a boat even at $600 a month for a liveaboard slip in the bay is far less expensive then a cheap apartment. Not even close. Gee I've lived on $500-$600 a month since 2010 when I was right sized from my $90k/year job.. Of course I was already living aboard 5 years by then.

Can't do that in an apartment in the bay area. Heck, folks find free boats here and there that are not too bad off. It is the cheapest way to live that's above a cardboard box under an overpass.

Boat Insurance as you know is not required by law. So no foul there. I actually do carry liability insurance, but I suspect it's worth the paper its printed on.

As to haulouts, I was hoping to save the $1000 for haulout and paint last year. Alas that did not happen. Odd are it will be 2018 after SS kicks in when I'll have enough cash saved up for a haul out. Luckily there is 20-30 years of bottom paint on the Rose so the bottom is not too bad... I do hire a diver to replace the zincs and even clean the bottom once a year.

You're replying to a missing couple of posts. You or one of the other mods seem to have deleted my post as well as a couple others. Mine was thoughtfully written -- and I think the others were as well. No reason for such a heavy hand of admin/mod on those. Especially given the wacky posts which remain.... Please do reinstate those deleted posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-02-2016, 18:34   #364
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Huh--post is back. That was quick on someone's part. Feel fee to delete this and my complaint about the delete above.

Old 22-02-2016, 18:46   #365

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
For Tomallas bay it's going to be a bit of a walk to point reyes station from marshal and yes water is skinny over by Inverness. Though Ok there are groceries there.
Yes, Tomalas Bay:

Old 22-02-2016, 20:33   #366
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Yes, Tomalas Bay:

A lovely anchorage at Marshall, but a bit hard to get around land without a car. I never developed a taste for oysters. I know strange.
Old 22-02-2016, 20:36   #367
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
Huh--post is back. That was quick on someone's part. Feel fee to delete this and my complaint about the delete above.

Just FYI, Mods involved in a thread, do not mod that thread. It may have been a tech glitch as nothing shows up about it being deleted.
Old 22-02-2016, 21:45   #368

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

SC You totally missed my point about low income live aboards fixing up their boats. In this states capitol, it is very common for different groups, organizations to assist low income property owners fix up their properties. It happens quite often as reported on our local news. Paint, yard work, roofs, plumbing, etc. You name it and it gets done. Also the electricity and gas people will come in and weather proof your house, the water company will come in and install low volume everything. All of this if you meet low income requirements. Maybe this should be the approach used for low income live aboards. Help them, make their boats safer and also look a little better. Everyone wins. It has been stated on this thread many times that we are not going to get rid of them.

ps I have my boat in the delta, I am not a live aboard. Can you tell me the name of an inexpensive DIY yard in the delta. New paint this summer.
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 21:52   #369
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

"Everyone wins"

Ya...except the tax payers.
Welcome to the land of hand outs and subsidies...California, where big daddy Government will now help you maintain your boat. Sheesh....what next.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 22:04   #370

Rich, come on, that's not what I am saying at all. Most of the work is done by charitable groups and the remainder is done by utility companies. None done by the government that I know of. You are on a ball around Moro Bay aren't you? Probably a couple of years now right? Isn't that river you are sitting on public property? Running a business out of it also? Are you paying property taxes on that piece of river bottom your hooked to? I sure as hell pay a lot of property taxes on this little bit of land I own. No government handouts. Sheesh, maybe I am subsidizing your business. That river belongs to all us good citizens.
Old 22-02-2016, 22:24   #371
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nice try, but no cigar amigo.
No business being ran illegally under the table out of Morro Bay, the office is in Escondido, CA where Plenty of taxes are paid, just not for much longer before we leave this State like everyone else that is pulling the cart for the free loaders. I pay my property taxes on the boat and the city mooring lease like all the other live aboards here do, it's called being responsible and not a burdon to our fellow citizens. If you knew the amount of taxes I pay per year you wouldn't be such a smart ass makjng accusations but would give me thanks for pulling the cart that way too many are resting in here in handoutville California.

And another thing now that you pissed me off, my wife and I provide weekly groceries to some of the less fortunate live aboards here in Morro Bay and have paid their yearly live aboard fees when they could not and risked being evicted, so I don't need lectures on compassion and doing what is right.
Old 22-02-2016, 23:10   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Nice try, but no cigar amigo.
No business being ran illegally under the table out of Morro Bay, the office is in Escondido, CA where Plenty of taxes are paid, just not for much longer before we leave this State like everyone else that is pulling the cart for the free loaders. I pay my property taxes on the boat and the city mooring lease like all the other live aboards here do, it's called being responsible and not a burdon to our fellow citizens. If you knew the amount of taxes I pay per year you wouldn't be such a smart ass makjng accusations but would give me thanks for pulling the cart that way too many are resting in here in handoutville California.

And another thing now that you pissed me off, my wife and I provide weekly groceries to some of the less fortunate live aboards here in Morro Bay and have paid their yearly live aboard fees when they could not and risked being evicted, so I don't need lectures on compassion and doing what is right.

Working from home is working from home, a house, a boat, it's all the same. Do you get to write that off on your taxes?

My post was to make a suggestion to alleviate some of the problems in RB.
The folks in Sausalito don't like looking at the rundown live aboard boats. A good share of them don't look like they could leave if the wanted to. Get out there and help the low income boaters who can't afford to do it themselves and can't leave if they wanted to. Overall it would make for a better picture looking out of those nice big houses and surely some of the boats, if able, would move around a bit. We do it for the elderly and low income homeowners here. It helps them, makes the homes overall in the neighborhood worth more, causes less civic homeowner problems, which saves taxes, and is just a good thing for everyone.

On the one hand you complain about the ones taking handouts and in the next sentence you say you are helping them. You kinda confused me there. You leave California, I am sure that where ever you are going, there will be no one down and out and no one taking any handouts. Let me know where that is will you? Bet you spell the name of that utopia with an x and a co. You probably won't sell many water makers to the locals, you will still need the cruisers from this god awful state for that. Good sailing.
Old 23-02-2016, 07:06   #373
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinracin View Post
Working from home is working from home, a house, a boat, it's all the same. Do you get to write that off on your taxes?.
Ha ha ha....now you are a tax expert?
First, there is no tax write off on a paid off boat that is a primary residence and not being used in an emailIRS approved business activity.

Second when you are in the top income bracket, all those little handout deductions go away anyway. But the myth of writeoffs, has always been better than the reality...so the myth continues.

And to wrap this education project up:
No, owning a business in one County while living in another County in California does not mean you owe business taxes in your County of residence. California business taxes are assessed in the County of record for the Corporation, not the owners County of residence. That would of course be different if I was performing install or service work here in Morro Bay, but I'm not.

Next week's series of educational posts will cover the following topics:

How not to look like a boob making false off topic assertions on an internet chat room.

And the ever popular series on

California business Tax law, why what people think they know is mostly wrong.

Now that's it for today, it's my day to volunteer at the community center so I gotta get moving and off the boat.
Old 23-02-2016, 07:26   #374

Glad to see you are in a better mood today. My response to your comments to my post was because you completely missed the point of my post. Helping with the problems in RB is good for them and good for all sailboaters. You went off on a rant about government handouts. Government handouts by a huge margin go to big business, not the down out types who don't perform well in our society. Enjoy your day.
Old 23-02-2016, 07:40   #375
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm retired living on a boat in Morro Bay, I'm always in a good mood Amigo.

But when I see folks calling for more Government programs that only trap people in poverty for the benefit of said Government program, I have to call them out on the stupidity. Take a look at your local housing project....your local section 8 housing dump if you want to see Government success.

Oh and social handout programs are the lions share of the Federal Budget, and those folks getting the hand outs will soon find out that money doesn't grow on trees, it grows on printing presses.

Tags
head, liveaboard