Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-06-2014, 07:52   #1

Review of Georgetown, SC

I've been anchored in Georgetown, SC for a few days now.
The anchorage is full of sailboats. There's little room between the boats, maybe 40'. half the boats are moored and half are anchored with varying scopes from 2:1 to 4:1. Large sections of the anchorage are very shallow, leaving maybe 2' of water at low tide. It's very protected! The water is always dead calm. In fact, too protected, cause there's almost no breeze that gets here, so my wind-generator is rarely even moving, and the 90 degree temperatures are very hot.
No biting horseflies so far. A few flies, but, I only recently took out the trash, so, it's reasonable.
Georgetown does offer a free dinghi dock, w/ many trashcans nearby! The Icehouse store will fill up your LPG bottles at about $15. It's a mile walk to the Icehouse. They also sell tons of fishing supplies & live mud-minnows, but those aren't cheap.
This anchorage is in the Sampit river which is loaded with fish, not that I'd want to eat them. The paper mill, being so nearby, makes the air stink about 1/8th of the time. Research found that this mill releases much more stuff into the water than all the other mills in the US, & there's a steel mill next to the anchorage as well. The Sampit's water is brackish & brown. I wouldn't even consider washing my clothes in it. The laundrymat is a good 2.5 mile hike & half of it is along a busy road. The Piggly Wiggley is along that route too, about 1.3 miles away. They offer some great hot food, but no dining area to sit down & eat it, so, you'll be walking a good while w/ a hot meal before you can rest your feet & eat it.

Georgetown has many museums & I highly recommend the Gullah museum, but keep in mind they do accept donations, but are worth it.

There's live music every other week, right across from the anchorage & it's a great selection, songs of love, James Taylor, & the female singer reaches those touching, moving notes just right. Be sure to complement them & tip.

The liveaboards here are friendly. Many use paddles. There's a kiddy boat class near the anchorage too, so you get to see these cute toddlers trying to sail, throwing balls at each other while sailing & ramming into each other. It's a ball.

I've caught a few fish here, easily. The place is teaming w/ fish, probably because no one wants to catch or eat them. The ones I caught looked gross. The catfish's barbels (whiskers) were only 1/2 inch long. I threw all the fish I caught back. I don't plan on being anchored here long, cause I prefer to eat my catch. I cannot afford not too.

I probably shouldn't comment on the noise level, cause most other boaters will probably not get nearly as much as I do. Lets face it, I need some earplugs, however, there is a lot of major construction work being done at the paper mill right accross the anchorage. There's a huge pile of rubbage that probably is loaded w/ asbestos, and on weekdays there's always a bunch of big machines moving that rubbish around. So, yes, noise, honks, & God knows what is in the air from that. It seems like a really nice town. There are many African Americans in Georgetown & a good many of the males like to lift weights & are huge. I feel quite safe here. I'm pretty huge too though. The laundromat cost me about $5.00 for a load washed & dried, and the clothes came out sparkling clean. So much cleaner than hand-washing.

I hope you found my review helpful. I think Georgetown is well worth checking out, but, I wouldn't want to live here unless absolutely neccissary, simply cause of the air, water, & fish issues. I woundn't even want to collect rainwater here, so, it's a good place to dump the garbage, load up on LPG, do laundry, get groceries & take off to a cleaner place.

liveaboardL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 17:59   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: review of Georgetown, SC

I was there last month. Your assesment is spot on. Nice place to visit but I wouldnt want to stay too long.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Take two at low eight
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 23:27   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Review of Georgetown, SC

We frequent Georgetown, SC with two and three day stops. When there's little space for anchoring close to the dinghy docks, we usually find room out closer to the junction marker "S" just north of the split in the channel and a little south of Hazzard Marina. The town is recovering from a recent fire downtown on the waterfront and this accounts for much of the construction. Don't miss the Thomas Cafe for a great meal and the Kudzu Bakery for some fine take outs!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 21:12   #4

The Kudzu bakery has some nice looking pies but they need to sell some by the slice, cause few people are going to pay that much for a little pie unsampled. Today I walked to Walmart, about 2.5 miles one way, quite a walk. I encountered my first horsefly too.
I'm getting better at killing those. You gotta put 2 hands slowly near them & just freeze there for a few seconds to get it to trust you. Then slap it with both hands at the same time. Works every time.
I'm not sure where these roaches are coming from. Do they swim the river to get to an anchored boat?
The mosquitos in Georgetown always come out at night and they're bad. Hope you have screens if you're going to anchor here. They get pretty thick and won't stop until you close every window & hatch, & then the summer heat is stuck in the boat.
liveaboardL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 18:18   #5

Review of Georgetown, SC

Growing up in the Deep South, I can tell you that the roaches are most likely hitching a ride home with you. I'm not sure what you may be purchasing at the grocery stores and/or Walmart but canned goods, specifically the backs of labels, egg cartons and anything paper or cardboard will commonly have roach eggs if not roaches. Your best bet is to buy a sharpie to write on all cans before removing the labels and washing the long before getting to your dinghy. As for the other items I have read suggestions to carry your own containers ashore to fill and never bring the plastic bags or cardboard on the dinghy. I hope this helps...I'm not sure what to say about the ones already there...

Truth, Light and Love guide your adventure!
ChrisandAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 18:45   #6

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

"what crisandamy said" & Roaches DO have wings.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 05:53   #7

Yes those "roaches" can and do fly. I think there are technically a type of water bug/Roach. We call them palmetto bugs. They can get up to 3 inches long!

Sent from my XT1030 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

DSDman is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: