Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2018, 10:17   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Review of 2 Years of Cruising Costs

So you guys are saying of course that a new Island Packet the same size as my old one would need new sails and repowering and a new windlass, new electronics etc at the same time my old one would?

That’s nuts, you should get the better part of at least ten years out of a new Boat before the big ticket items like refrigeration, repowering, sails, new generators etc should hit.
An old, “great deal” Boat could need all of that they day you buy it.

It’s condition, and size of a boat that drives recurring maintenance costs, not how much you paid for it.

A 30 yr old 50’ Boat is going to cost a lot more to maintain than a new 36’ Boat, but your 10% per yr of purchase price says just the opposite.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 10:42   #17
cruiser

Re: Review of 2 Years of Cruising Costs

Regarding the 10% often repeated myth here on CF...

A $3,000,000 sailboat doesn’t cost anywhere near $300,000 per year to maintain, but a $30,000 POS could easily exceed 30%-40% per year.

Sailorboy is correct, there’s no correlation. Ann is also correct in stating that it takes gutts for Sailorboy to put his finances out on the internet for everyone to see. Nice job!
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 13:00   #18

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Regarding the 10% often repeated myth here on CF...

A $3,000,000 sailboat doesn’t cost anywhere near $300,000 per year to maintain, but a $30,000 POS could easily exceed 30%-40% per year.

Sailorboy is correct, there’s no correlation. .....!
It's certainly easy enough to spend 300k on a 3mil boat annually. Just add in the cost of the captain and crew, the owners not doing the work.

No one says the 10% rule is some hard fact, just a reasonable guide when you have no other data for comparison. More expensive boats cost more to maintain if you want them to keep their value. Don't like 10%, then use a different percentage. Want to get overly complicated then use a sliding scale of your own liking. On average, typically, most of the time......... more expensive boats cost more dollars to maintain annually.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 14:30   #19

One thing to consider with a newer boat that costs more and should have lower direct maintenance expenses is that the boat is more likely to depreciate. A 15 yr old boat is going to have more in maintenance but depreciation should be much less. Cost of ownership, which is typically synonymous with the 10% rule, is more than just maintenance.

Can you beat the 10% rule? Yes. Absolutely. Should you be prepared to pay it? I think so in many cases. In some cases, you need to be prepared for much higher % if you are starting with an old boat and want to extensively cruise.

I appreciate Sailorboy sharing his experience. It is great data.
spearfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 18:05   #20

Boat: 2004 Catalina 470

Sailor boy,
THANK YOU!!!!! Thank you for your transparency and your diligence! You are keeping our dream afloat. I can only imagine the effort it takes for you to track and share these numbers, and it is SOOO appreciated!
Thanks,
Rumaway
tmtownsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 19:53   #21

Boat: MacGregor 26

So... you pulled money from an IRA and paid a penalty so you could claim a low-ish income and get a $13k subsidy on your insurance?

while choosing to live a retired lifestyle on a sailboat?

Did I read that correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
always interesting to see what part of these threads becomes the discussion point
yes, yes it is
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 22:43   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac
but a $30,000 POS could easily exceed 30%-40% per year
OK, so as not to offend the more sensitive among us, let me re-word my initial partial quote.

“But a $30,000 totally run down, neglected and dilapidated, 60 year old boat could easily exceed 30%-40% per year.”

Now you feel better?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 23:28   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

I guess we look at maintenance a bit different. Bought the boat new 15 years ago and have been underway 11 years. We spend give or take a bit 30k a year and over the years 25% of what we spend goes to the boat.
We do a lot of preventive maintenance to prevent potential breakdowns or real problems. Examples - last year when we hauled out we replaced all the seacocks; was it necessary? Not really but a couple began to look a bit iffy so just changed them all.
Before we went to the Black Sea we had the rigging checked, the windlass rebuilt, a lot of other minor stuff as we knew if we had a problem up there we would not have a minor problem but a major one.
To us our spending priorities are the boat comes first everything else comes after that.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 03:46   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdoc View Post
So... you pulled money from an IRA and paid a penalty so you could claim a low-ish income and get a $13k subsidy on your insurance?

yes, yes it is
yes that was correct
Old 21-09-2018, 03:51   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

One of the purposes of posting the monthly expenses is so people can see actual dollars spent. It isn't a contest or any type of "rules' as far as where the money goes, everyone is different. It's just how I spent MY money and others can use as a guide for their plans. There's no reason to get into an argument over a category as it makes me want to go out for a drink and messes up my numbers.
Old 21-09-2018, 03:59   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I got to thinking.

There is more to living than money. Yes we have to earn some to pay for responsibilities and stuff..... yet at some point, this life has to have some meaning if we can swing it.

Looks like Don managed for his family. For all you thinking that he should not have done this or that, and should have done something else........ dont sweat it. 50 years from today it will not matter a jot.

In the meantime he is the one living exactly how he wants and enjoying it.

that is what matters.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 04:36   #27

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdoc View Post

yes, yes it is

And why not? The law is convoluted and allows for just such behavior.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 08:52   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Review of 2 Years of Cruising Costs

Loop holes bother us, but they exist, the fact is the Wealthy line up to buy their Tesla’s cause of the tax break, they cover their roofs with Solar panels to get a tax break etc.
In fact when you hit some point in wealth, you hire someone to research tax breaks for you, so you pay the least tax possible.
This is called being smart.
The Uber rich make nearly nothing at all, the Companies they own provide everything, that way they pay no personal tax.
Warren Buffet used to brag that his Secretary paid more tax than he did.
The wealthy pay far less tax on a boat in Fl than poorer people, cause the tax maxes out at $18,000. So you only pay tax on the first $300,000, after that is tax free.
Although I bet most super yachts are bought tax free.

Should it be that way? Most think not, how do you fix it? You vote.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 09:45   #29

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
One of the purposes of posting the monthly expenses is so people can see actual dollars spent. It isn't a contest or any type of "rules' as far as where the money goes, everyone is different. It's just how I spent MY money and others can use as a guide for their plans. There's no reason to get into an argument over a category as it makes me want to go out for a drink and messes up my numbers.

As aspiring Cruisers we are exceedingly grateful for your continued candor; not to mention your ability to withstand the ever-present storm of criticisms thrown at you. Thank you!
DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 11:34   #30

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Loop holes bother us, but they exist, the fact is the Wealthy line up to buy their Tesla’s cause of the tax break, they cover their roofs with Solar panels to get a tax break etc.
In fact when you hit some point in wealth, you hire someone to research tax breaks for you, so you pay the least tax possible.
This is called being smart.
The Uber rich make nearly nothing at all, the Companies they own provide everything, that way they pay no personal tax.
Warren Buffet used to brag that his Secretary paid more tax than he did.
The wealthy pay far less tax on a boat in Fl than poorer people, cause the tax maxes out at $18,000. So you only pay tax on the first $300,000, after that is tax free.
Although I bet most super yachts are bought tax free.

Should it be that way? Most think not, how do you fix it? You vote.
To be fair to Warren, he wasn't bragging that he paid so little, he was demonstrating how unfair the US tax system is.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising