Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-01-2015, 14:42   #16

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40
Re: Retirement countdown list

My wife and I are finally cutting the ties after years of planning, Im 53 an retired wife is still working and quitting in May. Leaving June or July to slowly head down the coast to the keys by this time next year. Good luck with your plans and it would be great to spend some time traveling together, when you have a scheudule keep us informed
Richard and Melanie

Old 29-01-2015, 15:09   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I don't believe that there's any urgency to acquire everything on the list before you begin liveaboard cruising. I see the need for the basic required safety gear; a means to know your position relative to those places that pose a risk; and the equipment to provide sustenance.

We cruised for twenty years without things like GPS, radar, depthsounder, refrigeration/freezer, windlass, AIS, watermaker, Sat-phone, Internet access, life raft, chart plotter and we still don't have most of these after forty-three years of carefree coastal cruising. I'll quickly admit that we are "cockpit potatoes" poking about in the best of weather and often anchored by early afternoon. Even those that plan a future of ocean passages don't need to have all that's needed for the big trip before they start sailing about!

Old 29-01-2015, 15:51   #18

Boat: csy 37

Good on you, hpeer!

I spent most of my life in the computer industry, and I really enjoyed my job. But the day I retired I left it all behind and don't miss it one bit. I always had and worked on the latest state of the art machines. Today I have only a seven year old laptop, still running Windows XT.

First of all, as long as you are in the good old USA you will have little trouble getting anything you need bought and anything you need fixed. It's only when you go off to the Bahamas or Central America or the Caribbean that it gets harder, although even that isn't as bad as it used to be. So don't worry too much about what you forgot to bring. You can get it as you go along. Hopefully by the time you're ready to leave the USA you'll have everything you think you need (and it will probably be more than you actually need).

Q. What do I need to do in preparation for this change in life?
A. A good attitude and an open mind.

Q. Shift to electronic banking?
A. Yes. Have your SS and other retirement income deposited in to your checking account. Set up online access to your account so you can check it on your laptop when you want to. Get money at any ATM. The fee for using another bank, not your own, is the same if you withdraw $10 or $500, so I withdraw larger amounts.

Q. Mail forwarding?
A. Use St. Brendans Isle in Green Cove Springs Florida. Mail Forwarding Services at St Brendan's Isle
Go through their website to learn about their services. They are widely used by cruisers and RV'ers.

Q. Property manager?
A. You're asking the wrong guy. I would never rent property unless I lived in the neighborhood. I would sell it and invest the money in a secure government bond or CD.

Q. Pay off last 2 years of mortgage?
A. At this point you're paying very little interest so there's not much urgency to pay it off. But if it makes you sleep a little better go ahead and do it. Maybe with the money you get from selling your rental property...

Q. Change residence to Florida? Good/bad?
A. Yes, good. And you can use St Brendans Isle to establish your residency in Florida. Many cruisers do that. There is a big tax advantage because Florida has no income tax, unlike Pennsylvania (my daughter lives there). Cruisng friends of ours from New Jersey did just that BEFORE he retired. He was getting a pension plus a lump sum. He had the lump sum sent to his St Brendans Isle address and avoided a big New Jersey income tax hit.

Q. Look into ACA for my Wife?
A. Yes.

Q. Apply for SS? (Railroad retirement actually)
A. Yes. I retired early and researched getting SS early. In the end I decided to take it as early as I could, at 62, in spite of the penalties. Ten years later I have no regrets.

Q. Apply for Medicare?
A. Yes. A no brainer. But do some research on which Medicare plan you sign up with, or just take straight Medicare with no plan.

Q. Any other ideas? I feel I'm missing something, but what?
A. Since you will be hanging around the USA for awhile you don't need to know everything right now. It will all eventually come up and you will find a solution. Easy to do if you are still in the USA. Harder if you have to fly home from Grenada.

Good luck to you and The Admiral.
Old 29-01-2015, 16:45   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

James, look at his avatar, the area and type and length of the boat is there.
Old 29-01-2015, 17:15   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Yes Ann, it there, but perhaps I should have been more explicit.

Bought my first sailboat 8ish years ago, the33' steel cutter. Started to work part time about 6 years ago. I've done my sailing in Eastern Canada. My wife is sloooooooooooooly coming around to the liveaboards lifestyle. We live part time, even other week, on the boat (44') now. We are both fine with that. So we have been adapting by degrees. The only "issue" is my Wife wants to continue her practice, she is struggling with trying to change to a phone based practice.

But I'm a worry wart, intelectually I know it will be OK. But I just find these transitions tough. I'm pretty secure in my profession and have made my last 4 job changes with a phone call. Yet I find it nerve wracking, even knowing things will be better.

Just the way I'm wired.

Where we go? Probably down the ICW at first, fart around while she adjusts. She will need to keep a cell phone connection. I just bought a WiriePro, came in yesterday. Then onward, eventually we would both like to do Cuba. I find Rio Dulce intriguing. Maybe make that our cruising home port?

The mind just wanders.

I have a bad case of over-the-hill, round-the-benditis.

Later we may want to take the small boat up the Erie and turn left, go back to the Rock where we have property.
Old 30-01-2015, 04:43   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post

Q. Apply for Medicare?
A. Yes. A no brainer. But do some research on which Medicare plan you sign up with, or just take straight Medicare with no plan.

................................l.
I fall in agreement with all of these answers from "Onestep..." though I don't have any experience with property management, as I've never had a home ashore as an adult.

I did much research with the selection of a Medicare supplemental plan to best fit the nomadic character of cruising. As you may know. the supplemental plans identified as A,B,C,D,F,G,K,L,M & N are all similar regardless of the provider. That is, the "C" plan has the same coverage characteristics by Humana, Blue-Cross, United, etc. All cruisers might not find the same supplemental plan as best, but we selected the "F" plan for the degree of coverage retained while travelling.

We do pass by and sometimes remain in North Florida among family twice each year, usually while northbound and southbound. This gives us time for annual health physical exams and dental care.
Old 30-01-2015, 05:21   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Thanks on medicae F. Didn't know. Will look into this.
Old 30-01-2015, 06:12   #23
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I was lucky enough to get in a bunch of cruising while still young (and working). I was a firefighter/paramedic, and the schedule was such that a few shift trades would put together a three week or more “vacation” (my longest was nearly 180 days). Diesel was $0.50/gal, and I owned a rather quick sport fisherman. I was able to cover the entire east coast from New York to New Orleans, most of the Bahamas above 24° LAT, Mexico, and bits of a restricted island to the south of Florida.

Nowadays, retired three years from the FD, I find myself working 70 hour weeks; so much that I haven’t even set foot on my sailboat in weeks. Why? Because my wife is unable to retire yet. My best advise is to work HARD until your wife can retire too; it will enhance your lifestyle exponentially. With no bills of my own, I can bank almost all that I earn. I figure about three more years for her first, and my “second” retirement.

Then the second pitfall: My father suffered a stroke a few years back, and though currently healthy, my mother is 83. My greatest fear is that in three years time, they will need nearly full time care (career number three)
Old 30-01-2015, 07:23   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

1) Health (I mean exercise and diet, not insurance),
2) Mindset (you are going to like it, or not),
3) Family (unless from a seagoing family).

The finance part is easy. Get plastics and keep some cash.

Cheers,
b.

Tags
men, retirement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: