Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2014, 21:58   #16

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Retired - How does your week look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Don't sail. Power. And that will be the longest stretch from Bermuda to the Azores. Conservatively averaging 10 knots. Choosing conservative routing of 2200 nm (can be as low as 2000), that's 220 hours or 9 days. That will be in a 130' MY. Won't make that trip until at earliest 2016 and 2017 or 2018 is more likely.

Sorry, but only sailing we do is on other's boats or charters and when we don't have to do any of the work. Enjoy the experience but not on a regular basis or as sailors ourselves.

I'll do a 2/3 retired if that got me 130' M/Y too!
Old 15-02-2014, 00:44   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

well we have been out 6 years and a couple of 3 to 6 month stays in marinas to ride out hurricane season or like now to ride out winter in the med
what do we do all day -- humm like hud said i don't rightly know but get up and next thing you know it is sundowner time or 1700 -- we generally never start sundowners early
when we are actually moving a bit - it is a constant of getting up and checking the wx and if there is a cruiser net check that -- in the carib we listen to chris parker and talk to him if we have questions about what we see on our wx downloads - we plan our arrivals and departures on what we see on the wx and where we want to go
we go thru cruising guides to check out possible anchorages - take a quick look around the boat then well then the day slips by - a lot of reading - thank goodness for book swaps --
the first thing the admiral does when we hit a new port is find the book swap -

when we sit in a marina -- after a while we get stir crazy -- we want to chase the horizon - but common sense prevails and we do inland trips - and try to stay a bit busy - spread out boat work so a bit every day for a couple of hours or every other day

longest at sea 21 days crossing the atlantic --

taxis are expensive and we try to find transportation the locals use -- in the carib, on both sides, they use vans and the common saying is how many can you stuff in a van - answer 2 more -- but they are cheap and way to get around easy
in tunisia we use a public bus that is good on time and inexpensive -- carry backpacks and get what we need for a couple of days if the wx is good or more days if the wx is going to turn nasty - nothing like eating fresh almost everyday

as for anchoring and moorings and bays -- well you just got to get out and figure it out -- it is like on our 1st year out we got adopted by an older cruising couple and spent the summer with them going up and down the east coast twice -- some one asked us exactly what they taught us and our response was how to cruise but the person said exactly what is that -- well to know you have to get out here -- it is not written in a book
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 02:22   #18

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I usually wake up, then do whatever I feel like that day. So maybe I just watch movies and sleep, or maybe I sail somewhere else, or work on some projects. I don't really like to call this work maintenance, I like to ensure it is an upgrade as well. If I run out of food I can paddle/walk to a market, and I grow some food onboard as well.

I never take taxi or bus, or anything if it runs on fuel, because after all, pollution is a bad thing. I tried the pedal taxi here (some filipino has to pedal and you ride) but they are lazy and get tired very soon, and only want to take me a few hundred meters to the bus stop, not to where I wanted to go. So now I just walk everywhere.

Today, I just been surfing the internet and then I went and cut some firewood for tomorrow (only eating raw food today) Yesterday I went to lunch with some other cruisers (very amusing), then fixed my sculling oar as some of the wood for the socket broke.

I can't say I have tried staying at a marina yet, but from what I have seen, it would not offer any advantages, and they usually charge (although I have been one place where there was a free marina)

Longest time at sea is 50 days as I was badly becalmed, and had very light winds on a 4000 mile passage. It is very fortunate I am free of an engine as using one would have cut short and spoiled an exceptional experience.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 06:54   #19

Boat: Various

Definition of retirement: No longer living by a schedule.

It's really that simple. Do what you want when you want. If and when the mood strikes. Always free to change your mind. No hurry. Now we often have a plan, an anticipated schedule perhaps. But it's always subject to change and probably will be changed.

Free time is the gift of retirement. You fill it up as you wish. But it's free, all yours. An empty slate.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 07:11   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in sailing season when i have propulsion, i sail and do what ever i want.
in summer when there are many forming named storms here...we did experience a-s this past summer.. we watch weather while hunkered down in the marina or mangroves and do whatever we feel like doing. might even accomplish some repairs and re organization work....lol
right now i am effecting engine repairs, er, rebuild, while at anchor.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 07:31   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I usually wake up,....
So do most of us, until we don't. It's the bit after that is interesting.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote