Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2016, 18:00   #1

Requesting info: live aboard/Myrtle Beach

Hi,
I happened upon a houseboat auction and up to that point had never thought about living on a boat. I don't sail but love the water. I am looking for a used houseboat and plan to keep it in a marina. I haven't done a lot of research on marina's in the area yet as the first one I called said to come talk to them as they would be willing to have a permanent house boat/live aboard in the marina.

Anyone live aboard in the Myrtle Beach/Georgetown area? Any recommendations for a marina? I drive between Myrtle Beach and Charleston but don't want to live in the Charleston area.

Living on a houseboat on the intercoastal or Georgetown/Winyah Bay. Is it ok to live on a houseboat that won't be on a lake?

Any suggestions or opinions are welcome. Thx in advance....
samandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 10:46   #2

Re: Requesting info: live aboard/Myrtle Beach

What is your aversion to Charleston? Much nicer than MB. I know Chas is touristy, but it is a different touristy than MB. I have often heard MB called "a flea market with water"..
Georgetown is fairly cool from my limited time there, but the whole town smells bad from the paper plant. Yuck!
Maybe there is something nice around McClellanville? Have not been there, but supposed to be a nice small town feel to it.
I am not a liveaboard, and have limited knowledge of the area you are looking into...just thought I'd respond since no one else is offering an opinion.
If I were living aboard It'd be Charleston, or Beaufort area.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 13:06   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I suggest you take a look in the canal that runs east of the ICW about a mile or two south of the "Little River Swing Bridge" in North Myrtle Beach. I'm not sure who is managing these slips after Doc Holidays Marina closed, but there have been a couple house boats for sale in there that are in established slips. 'close to CVS, grocery store, etc.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:03   #4

Barefoot Landing Marina allows liveaboards but there are some rules that apply. I keep my boat there and spend weekends at the marina.

Rob
geraghtyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:02   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, samandsandy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote