Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 18:58   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Renegade Sailing Adventures.

My sister lives in burns about 12 miles from the little america there
Old 08-04-2016, 20:02   #17

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
My sister lives in burns about 12 miles from the little america there
I didn't know there was a little america in burns, I try to stay out of that country, 55mph sucks.
BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 20:32   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No the little america is in Cheyenne .
Old 12-04-2016, 16:21   #19

Got it kicked off the trailer this morning, I am on the south side of PDX right now, just waiting for traffic to die down. Will be in Tacoma later tonight, tomorrow going to look at the boat.

Pretty stoked.
Old 12-04-2016, 16:44   #20

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Go Nick!

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 20:12   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bout time taking the day off to show her to ya.
Old 12-04-2016, 20:33   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickMontana View Post
........sitting in Dalton GA ...
Which is where The Great Locomotive Chase began.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 20:10   #23

So I went and looked at the boat, I like the boat.

I really like the Spencer for how it is laid out. It is very comfortable to me.

That being said if I buy it right now I would have to move my time table forward several months, not so sure I am ready to do that which right now is my only major hesitation.

Currently I am at Little America in Wyoming headed for Denver then home to Montana after I unload Monday.

Right now I am just physically and mentally exhausted it has been a really long 3 1/2 months and it isn't over yet, still have about 1000 miles to go to get home. I could feel the pull this morning when I crossed over I-15 because if I turned north on I-15 then hopped on 287 id have been home in about 6-7 hours.

Heading further away was very difficult.

One of the first things I did when I got to the boat was to sit down in the back of the cockpit.

Sitting there was very comfortable to me and I could see myself spending a lot of time there. Actually the whole boat was very comfortable to me, I wanted to just kick up my feet and stay and say to hell with going back to work.

I see myself being very comfortable in this boat. I know if I can't make this one work I will be looking for another Spencer 42, it is about the ideal boat for me.

Right now though I am so burned out from fighting my way through a weak freight market the last few months, having some really expensive breakdowns and all of the drama that surrounds that, I need a couple of days of rest before I really start formulating a plan.

To make matters worse my dad is very against me getting a boat and about went ballistic when I told him what I was thinking about doing, I got the "A boat is just a hole in the water you throw money into, and if you could just get a little house I think you would be so much happier."

It still has not sunk in to him that buying a little house, getting married and having kids is something I am just in no way shape or form interested in.

He could tell when I got really quiet I was about to hang up the phone on him so he back tracked some with the "I just want you to be happy" speech.

He doesn't understand the reason a boat is so appealing to me is that it is not tied to any one place like a house is and I can take my home with me where ever I may roam and this is something I have wanted since I was a little kid.

On the upside when I get back to MT I have a whole bunch of film making gear I just bought there waiting for me so that is going to really help me make some better quality videos with better light and better sound.

Right now though I just feel like I could sleep for days.
Old 15-04-2016, 20:20   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nick drop that pos on your trailer in Denver and head north . Have a good nights sleep.
Now here is some advice on doing the boat thing just go for it if it doesnt work in a year. You can always swallow the anchor . Spencers hold value quite well. Also there is another s42 in antacortes that just came on the market
Old 15-04-2016, 20:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Nick drop that pos on your trailer in Denver and head north . Have a good nights sleep.
Now here is some advice on doing the boat thing just go for it if it doesnt work in a year. You can always swallow the anchor . Spencers hold value quite well. Also there is another s42 in antacortes that just came on the market
I hear ya, I am not worried about "The boat thing" working out, I have wanted this for so long that I know its the right thing to do. I was 7 or 8 years old running around dreaming about this.

I let my dad talk me out of it back in 2002 when I was still in the Navy, I was going to buy a Grand Banks 42 I found up in Oak Harbor, I have always regretted not doing it.

Sometimes it is a world of difference between what you want for yourself and what your family wants for you.
Old 15-04-2016, 21:30   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I hear ya . I am one of the lucky ones I grew up on salt water .
Old 18-04-2016, 20:45   #27

Unloaded today in Denver after getting stuck all weekend in a snow storm at Little America.

640 miles to go tomorrow and I am home!
Old 21-04-2016, 18:10   #28

Been a crazy few days, wound up grabbing a load bringing me home, kicked it off yesterday, I'm 120 miles from the house and can't go home because I have to get my workman's come exemption done.

I love how every 2 years I have to pay the government of my state 125.00 just so I can work for myself.

Also had been getting really bad vibrations out of the truck lately which has a lot to do with why I've been so tired, today stuck it up on a jack and realized my steer tires are worn out of round, so even though there is plenty of depth left they had to be replaced.

Also put all 8 drives on, and found a cracked wheel while we were in there, so now I have all new tires on the truck and it rides so nice, all the vibration is gone.

Got about every last mile I could out of those drive tires.

Being so close to home right now, its killing me because right now all I want to do is get home and see my family and friends and get a couple of days out of the truck and can't because otherwise id have to drive 120 miles back up here tomorrow which would just kill my day.

Tomorrow going to head to the house, spend the weekend there then be out again on Monday depending on where I find a load.

I did finally get a bunch of film making gear so I will be able to produce much higher quality videos now, so really excited about that.

Should really have some updates in that department soon.
Old 27-04-2016, 09:17   #29

Been a busy few days at home, made an offer on the boat, not sure if it is going to be accepted or not, hoping to have an answer today.

Also been doing a lot of shooting while I was home for a couple of friends, really trying to hone my film making skills.

Here is a video I made for my friends art gallery:

Heading down to Billings tomorrow to get some parts for the truck then going back to work. Hopefully load out Friday so I can deliver Monday.

Been really nice to be home and out of the truck for a few days, I finally broke all of my plans to my family and friends with mixed results, some are really happy and think it is a great idea, others look at me like I have a conjoined fetus growing out of my head.

Kind of funny how scared some people are of boats or foreign countries.
Old 27-04-2016, 22:43   #30

Still haven't got an answer on the offer yet. Kind of disappointed because tomorrow is Thursday, I sent it out Sunday so the broker had it in her hands first thing Monday morning.

Kind of wondering if I am being blown off seeing as how tomorrow is Thursday.

Guess we will see what happens. Might have to start looking around at boats again although I am hesitant to because I do really like this one.

Tags
sailing, sail