Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2006, 07:14   #1
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Removable mattress

The current double berth in Nightcap is a bit smaller than we would like but I can make the table easily removable and am planning to make a slat platform to straddle between the settees on either side so we have a comfortable berth at anchor. (Her side closest to the head, mine closest to the deck )
What suggestions out there for an easily removable/storable mattress? Foam would be fine but are there other systems which would take less room to store? Is an airbed mattress a viable long term solution?
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 08:36   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
I slept on an air mattress for 2 years. It was great. The only issues I had was that when you sleep on it without a pad, it can get very cold. I actually think I caught a cold from sleeping on it. I then added a down matress pad over it and never had an issue. The secound point is that I had one with an electric inflation device. Every 2 or 3 days I'd have to pump it up a little more by pushing a button. Not an issue when you're in a house, more of an issue when you're on a boat. I use one on the boat now, but we have an irregularly shaped bearth and it wouldn't fit.

Good luck,

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 10:27   #3

Boat: Pearson 365- Trident
Thermarest is a company that make some very good waterproof air matressess. They market to campers but can be used for anything. Their designs have come along way in the past 10 or so years. http://www.thermarest.com/

Good sleeping

Wiz
SailWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 18:03   #4

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Settee backs

are the most practical storage method for extra cushions for the mattress. Tight fitting cushions are almost seamless for sleeping purposes. I have had several boats that used the seat backs for making up a third berth.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 18:29   #5
Kai Nui

We got turned onto latex mattresses about 6 years ago. They are readily available, extremely comfortable, and can be made into several cushions just like foam. If you go to a marine mattress place, they are also unbelievably expensive.
Now, here's the caviot. If you you go to a discount mattress place, and order the cheapest latex mattress they have with a width that will suit your needs, you will get it in a romovable cover. just remove the cover, use an electric carving knife to cut the size cushions you need, and sew some new covers. You can set it up like a V-Berth so the cushions can be used as seat backs when the bed is folded in. This will save you about 75% on cost. As for comfort, the latex mattresses are more comfortable than inner spring, and foam holds no comparison. The downside, they are VERY heavy, and hard to move around, and they must be protected from fire, as they are very flamable. But, I do not know any sailors who smoke in bed, so this should not be an issue.
A "full" size square mattress should cost about $600.00. Latex is also mold proof (except the cover), and it is usually guaranteed for life. hickness is about 5 and 1/2 inches.
Old 19-01-2006, 20:21   #6

I'd say that price is not too bad. Considering going to a furniture store. And pay over $1,000.00 for a latex mattress bed!! (Jaw hitting the floor)

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 21:39   #7
Kai Nui

When we bought our first latex mattress from a marine mattress shop (for $1500), some friends had just ourchased a Catalina 34. They have back problems, and we recommended to mattress to them. They fitted out all the bunks with mattresses from this shop. Almost $5000 That is when we started looking for cheaper alternatives.
Old 19-01-2006, 21:45   #8

Yikes

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 20-01-2006, 06:44   #9
cruiser

I've found a 'self inflating air mattress" made by Kathmandu. Full queen size and 4" thick. Anybody used these? I think they're an Australian brand.
Old 20-01-2006, 15:28   #10

I'm afraid that I haven't tried that brand here pwederell.

And I'm also sorry that I haven't even heard of that brand name, before?

Old 22-01-2006, 02:02   #11
cruiser

Futon? Are these things like sleeping on a doormat or are the conventionalists wrong? How compact are they?
Old 22-01-2006, 02:11   #12
Kai Nui

Futons (aka chinese torture device) have a number of characteristics that are not conducive to boat use. Not the least of which is the fact that they will absorb every ounce of moisture on the boat, and then promptly mold. My wife and I had one as our main bed in our first house. First we got rid of the frame, and it was almost bearable, but after about a month, we threw it out, and bought a bed. I hate the things. I know alot of people swear by them, and if I am ever offered one for free, I will gladly donate it to whoever wants it, but I will take no responsibility for thier comfort.
Old 22-01-2006, 02:22   #13
cruiser

Hmmm, and I definitely can't put you in the "conventionalist" class. Thanks Kai Nui, I hadn't though much about the moisture absorbtion thing, might be a no brainer really. Looks like some sort of inflatable is the answer. Any counter arguments out there?
Old 22-01-2006, 02:29   #14
Kai Nui

Nope! The newer air beds have allot of benefits, and can be very comfortable. they are very easy to stow, and they do not absorb moisture. I think for he use described, that would be a very logical choice.
Old 16-02-2006, 14:11   #15

Boat: 1999 Catalina 36
Send a message via Yahoo to Barpilot
Froli Sleep System

Check out this website. www.comfortmarineandrv.com
We purchased a Froli Sleep System for our v-berth. If you needed to disassembly and store, this is your answer. Costs about 1200 less than custom made mattress.
Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote