Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2012, 12:49   #16

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Re: Remodeling question

Look at the S2's, in the 30' it has a fair size head and a HUGE companionway opening for a boat its size.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 14:25   #17

Boat: C&C Newport 41

some good suggestions regarding 'out of the box' options.

to your question of remodeling...

predicated on the understanding that every marine project takes 3 times as long and cost twice as much to complete... whatever you want you can have (time and money).

so... a boat around 35' with a 10-12' beam should get you plenty of gap between your head and the headliner and 2 cabins and (maybe) 2 heads. a boat this size would give you the ability to steal a few feet from the salon to increase the size of the head.

personally, i would suggest a center cockpit (with aft cockpit companionway) which will give you additional privacy as a live aboard.

if you are the handy type, a bulkhead is really just fiberglass over plywood. if you can take down, move and rebuild a wall in your house, you can, most likely, do it in a boat as well.

potential complifying factors:
do you need to re-plumb
add, move / change electrical
custom fabrication / angles of bulkheads and hatches
architectural constraints (many heads are adjacent to compression posts etc)

you should probably budget 30 hours (about 80 an hour) to have someone do a project like this for you (5 hours of demolition and 20 of building and 5 of finish) plus the cost of any finish materials (mahogany / teak etc). so you could do the demo yourself and / or the finish and leave the rebuild to a boat builder.

i encourage you to not race into this option. it would be easy to think 'i can buy any boat and throw 2500 and get the head / companionway i want' but, in reality, changing the head (2500) might mean you need to redesign the salon or galley (5000) or take 2 months instead of 2 weeks making the boat unusable / uninhabitable or paying for multiple lay days in a yard or...

good news is there is DEFINITELY a boat out there for you and you have an excellent 5 year plan.

less good news if you have to find the boat that is right for you and, once you do, you might need to do a bit of a refit to make it personal to you.

gl.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 15:06   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

[QUOTE=ke4mkl;1064952]
I plan on living on the boat single with the occasional sleep over, wink, wink, and want to remodel to my specific needs. I'm a big guy, XXXL shirt and 5'10" with a bad back. So Head and birth need to be easy in/out. Hence the easy of remodeling question. QUOTE]

If you really want an easy in/out birth .... you may be a big woman but you are not a big guy. On the other hand if you are truly capable of giving birth you may want a bigger boat with a berth for the midwife