Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2013, 09:19   #1

Relocating from land to water to live aboard in Seabrook Tx.

I have gotten the opportunity of a lifetime to move to Seabrook Tx. and live on a 44' sailboat for a few months while the owner is out of the country. I will be located in Clear Lake Marine Center and was curious if anyone else is familiar with this marina and living there. Mostly looking for amenities (bathhouses? Wifi? Parking?) I can't find much info on the web about them. Also, is there much to do in the area that is fairly inexpensive? This will be my first time living aboard too and I am really excited about this next chapter in my life!
jjvaughn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 09:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Relocating from land to water to live aboard in Seabrook Tx.

Congrats on the Adventure.
While I don't know anything about the area you will be going to, here is what I do know!
There will be boaters/live aboards there and they will be friendly so when you get there try and meet them because they will be a wealth of local information for you and 90% of them will be more than happy to share their info with you or answer questions for you. It's just what boaters do.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 11:51   #3

Boat: Slocum 43

Welcome to the area. Clear lake marine center is not an idealic marina by a long shot. I think you'll find the facilities "lacking" so you'll need to rely on the boat. Last time I was there, for a haul out, there wasn't a "bath house". Toilets yes. I didn't check on wifi. Plenty of parking though. Keep in mind, it's mainly a working yard and marina. Have you seen the boat?

With all that said, it's a good area with restaurants and such all around you. Some cheap and some not so cheap. There are a few clubs in the area as well.

Regardless, the people around you will be good and I'm sure you'll enjoy.
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 13:22   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I'll second the previous post.
Clearlake marine center is a working boatyard first, and an older marina second. I like that it's not a pristine marina. It's across the street from one of the more popular bar/restaurants on the area.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 05:15   #5

Thank you guys for the responses so far. From what research I have done, It looks like this is much more of a working yard than a yacht club which is fine with me! I am actually moving there to work in the yard doing repairs and the like. I have seen a few pictures of the outside of the boat. It is a 44' center cockpit. As a recently divorced 30 yr old, it looks like it will be plenty of room for me and my meager belongings. Definitely a plus that it is close to some evening entertainment since I will have to discover dating after 10 years with the same woman! I am looking to move in mid January. Excited about this next chapter in my life!
Old 20-12-2013, 05:10   #6

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Sorry to hear about your divorce problems, but cheer up, if you move to a working boatyard in Texas you'll have nowhere to go but up in life. For Gods sake don't put down roots, you'll be shooting meth, your teeth will fall out, and you'll be muttering the "n" word four times in every sentence.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 05:40   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
Sorry to hear about your divorce problems, but cheer up, if you move to a working boatyard in Texas you'll have nowhere to go but up in life. For Gods sake don't put down roots, you'll be shooting meth, your teeth will fall out, and you'll be muttering the "n" word four times in every sentence.
This boatyard isn't for commercial boats, just toys (the occasional small bay shrimper) so it's not as bad as the sort of place where you re built your boat. Actually a guy I went to college with works there as a woodworker, he considers it soothing.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 05:59   #8

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Well yes, my yard was indeed special. I had to threaten to bring in the State Police to tone them down. The owner was a local politician with enough problems of his own so I only had to repeat myself twice. That was Florida, by the way.
Being a woodworker is as good as it gets in life.
Good luck.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 10:36   #9

Looks like I will be staying aboard a 1980's Hardin 44' ketch. From what I can tell, this should be plenty of room for me. Actually it looks like too much room and I may be spoiled with the live aboard style! I have to work off my "rent" by putting a bathtub in one of the bathrooms.
Old 07-01-2014, 20:55   #10

You're going to put a bathtub in a 44' boat, or did I miss something?

The Seabrook, Kemah, Clear Lake Shores area is a very nice area with tons of boaters and marinas. The Kemah Boardwalk is a good dining/entertainment destination and it is very nearby.

Enjoy your stay
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote