Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2010, 23:34   #1

Regular vs Unleaded

ok what are the pro's and cons between a center cockpit vs a regular boat for livaboard use.

i know there's more headroom in a center cockpit but dunno about the other things... looking at around the 30ft rangeish. as far as length goes.
vidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 23:59   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
On a boat under 40', center cockpits are butt ugly and the cabins going to be really cramped. Headroom in a center cockpit boat may even be less than an aft cockpit boat. The cockpit in a CC boat occupies the space where you'd normally have the most headroom.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 00:22   #3

Boat: seawind II Patience
Had a 37 cc which I thought looked good.Headroom was good.Only use for back cabin is privacy.If you like to get up at night for snack or mile etc. real pain.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 00:31   #4

yea i noticed they dont look that good but the head room is decent over 6ft for what im looking at. im 6'2 and was wondering the diffrence between the 2 as i am planning on moving aboard. would just be me. so having a 40+ footer isn't very smart on my part both size wise and cost wise. but i do like some of the layouts on the 30 ft cc. like the multi room thing only real sailing i plan on doing after moving aboard is weekend fishing trips once in a while. so i want to know the diffrences between things like storage space room size and stuff like that ive got a list of boats im gonna go look at but was wondering if there were any major diffrences as apperance doesnt matter much to me.
Old 27-01-2010, 02:57   #5

so things like the back cabin are a pain in the middle of the night but provide privacy are good things to know. thanks mark
Old 27-01-2010, 03:32   #6
CLOD

Boat: none
get the one that works best for you, it isn't a fashion show!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 03:42   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
How much privacy do you need if you're by yourself?
I'm pretty sure the question is to generic...there are sooooo many other considerations in a live aboard...I really don’t see, as a rule, head room and center or aft cockpit relevance.
Have you been looking at many boats?
Natural light
Quality of other lighting
Galley...refer? freezer?
Shower...separate or not
Heat or AC
windless or not
AC power?

For sure head room is important...I'm also 6-2 and bump my head in places on my 48fter...but getting the right combination of many things is tough.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 10:10   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidar View Post
... I do like some of the layouts on the 30 ft cc. ...
Which particulare 30 Ft centre-cockpit boat do you like?
Have you considered a small houseboat?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 10:56   #9

Boat: MARTZCRAFT 35 'JET LAG'
I have a centre cockpit and love it. The aft cabin is like a bedroom in a unit and very comfy. Headroom throughout is good.
drinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 12:01   #10

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
As with everything else, size maaters. Smaaler center cockpit boats look like wedding cakes and there is inadequate beam to make the interior work. Any center cockpit boats less than about 44 feet don't work well. My last two boats have been center cockpits and tghe additional room, the deep cockpits, and better visability from the helm are great advantages. On the other hand deck storage may be limited, especially on smaller boats. For a live aboard they can't be beat. We lived on our current boat for almost 6 years - see avitar.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 17:11   #11

well im not looking at things like perks like a windlass or ac i dont use ac even in my apartment in the middle of summer i just turn on a fan i like the heat. all the electronics and gizmo's are not a big deal as i can add them later if needed. i am looking for something that is gonna be ideal for me ive looked at about 2 aft cockpit boats?? and i havent seen 1 ive liked ive seen them fully loaded windlass ac refer and others but i dont want a boat for those things i want a boat i am gonna love.

yea i will be living aboard by my self. and was just trying to figure some pro's and cons about the center cockpit and aft to see if i even want to include center cockpit into my search i dont care how it looks a fresh coat of paint can cure much in that department. but i want to know things like storage and deck space as i will do some weekend fishing.
Old 28-01-2010, 09:11   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
With the exception of a compression release, you shouldn't be able to turn over a diesel by hand except with a socket on the crank pulley nut and a big cheater bar for leverage. 20=1 compression is fearsome. If you don't have a compression release that is engaged, you probably have a stuck valve. Take off the valve cover and turn over the engine while looking at the valves. If you don't see a valve that is not cycling, put a feele gauger under the rocker arm/pushrod interface and see if one is loose at other than tdc. There are other things that could be causing your problem like bad injectors, mistimed injection pump or a bad injection pump. Since the engine sat for awhile with possible water intrusion, I'd bet on a stuck valve, however.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 04:56   #13

yea thinkgs like ac arnt important to me but i can always get a space heater for winter shower i do want size of the shower dont care about. just something that i can lather up in and rinse off is fine. dont think i need a windlass as i am still verry young and capable. and only want to do some weekend fishing privacy isnt an issue i would prefer natural lighting. just need room for me my dog and my pc. she is verry shy so privacy for my dog may be important

am looking at a have went an seen these up close was a long drive but they didnt holler out to me
34 ft Grampian and a

32ft Coronado

also a 30ft Alan Smith

so i am right around the 30ft range wich is what i figure i need to be able to take a friend or something out for a weekend fishing trip. do cc flip easier than aft? i want something thats going to be seaworthy as i may decide to move after i find out im in a area i dislike for whatever reason...

have been looking at like a hunter 30 aft to for a good livaboard.. want something thats gonna be easier to stay seaworthy at a moments notice i dont have lots of junk but i dont want something that im not gonna be able to take out if the breeze isntt just right eigther. ive already bout some of the essentials like gps and solar pannels. figure if it doesnt come with a small refrigerator i can get 1 there only like 75$ here. so there not terribly expensive and having 1 on there already wont affect judgement on what i am looking for i want a sturdy well maintained boat for decent money the more i look the more i find out those are hard to find
Old 30-01-2010, 09:31   #14

There are generally two types of center cockpit boats, a walk-through, and a walk-over. Typically on smaller cc's, the walk-over is most common. If you don't mind having to exit the forward cabin to get to the aft cabin, via cockpit, in the middle of a cold night, you may consider a walk-through, although I'm not aware of any 30' walk-through type sailboats produced, I'd guess someone has built them. Gulfstar made a lot of smaller cc sailboats in the 1970's and they were all built like a tank, somewhat ugly, but practical. Look on Yachtworld, there were quite a few built.
Gnitfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 10:04   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If liveaboard means you're going to use it as a houseboat and not go sailing, by all means go for it. Seems like a waste of time and money if you could use a houseboat instead, though. If you're planning to move around and go cruising from time to time, a center cockpit boat puts you much closer to the WET END in bad weather, which seems to be the #1 complaint against them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote