Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2017, 22:31   #1
C&G

Boat: Leopard 44
Refilling prescriptions

So, my wife is thinking about us living aboard a sailboat when we retire. Therefore, I'm thinking about it, too. Our first destination will be somewhere in the Caribbean.

I am a few years away from becoming eligible for Medicare, and I don't want to lose that benefit. I understand I can use Medicare in Puerto Rico and the USVI.

I am curious about how I am going to get prescriptions filled when running down to the local pharmacy in Puerto Rico or the USVI isn't practical.

Your experience in this area would be most appreciated. Thank you.
C&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 00:30   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Refilling prescriptions

Welcome to the forums. This question comes up with some regularity, so that if you do a search on it, you'll turn up lots of info. There are some search tools in the blue tool bar near the page top, & if you click on search, a variety of choices of search type(s) will appear.

As to your question, most folks tend to get their MD to write prescriptions for them to be filled in quantities of 3 months. Along with many getting their refills mailed/shipped to them when 3 months is up. That, or they simply consult with a local MD during their travels. Health care tending to be much less expensive outside of the US. And this is assuming that the meds that you need can't simply be purchased locally, over the counter. Since in lots of places the rules aren't so strict.

Oh, & you can also get a letter from your doctor stating what you're taking & why to carry with you. To include both the trade names for the meds, & their generic name.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 02:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chief.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 03:35   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
..................... As to your question, most folks tend to get their MD to write prescriptions for them to be filled in quantities of 3 months. Along with many getting their refills mailed/shipped to them when 3 months is up. .............. .............
This plan, as described by Uncilvilized, is our practice. Most mail order pharmacies that fill these three month prescriptions also have paperless automated physicians refill requests and automated payment options. We match this service with a mail forwarding business like St. Brendans Isle and this becomes very easy. All we need is the need to determine a location that will allow us to receive a package. We have used marinas (sometimes available without being a slip holder), local businesses, or general delivery at a post office.
Old 22-02-2017, 06:03   #5

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Theboatgalley.Com has a couple of good articles about presciptions. The real "trick" is figuring out the right timing for new deliveries so you don't run out. Take a backup that you don't dip into unless your prescription is late. The service we have been using sent one order to the wrong address and then took an additional 10 days to resend the order. Stuff happens. Just plan for it!
Old 24-03-2017, 06:54   #6
C&G

Boat: Leopard 44

Thanks everyone for the information. Very helpful!
C&G is offline   Reply With Quote