Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 12:19   #1

recs for liveaboard

hey all, new here, new to boating. just looking for some place to start.
I know this is vague but any help would be greatly appreciated.

100k-200k for 2 ppl ages 27 and 30. Preferably something that could make a trip from NY to FL without gas costing more than the boat. What type of craft would suit these needs, what size, power or sail? Something that would be good for fishing is also preferred. The majority of the year would be spent at dock as we own a restaurant and rarely get away for more than a week at a time.

Thanks in advance.
cignetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:37   #2
cruiser

Unless you hire a crew, a delivery from NY to FL will definitely take more than the week you have off at a time.

Boats go about the same speed as bicycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cignetto View Post
hey all, new here, new to boating. just looking for some place to start.
I know this is vague but any help would be greatly appreciated.

100k-200k for 2 ppl ages 27 and 30. Preferably something that could make a trip from NY to FL without gas costing more than the boat. What type of craft would suit these needs, what size, power or sail? Something that would be good for fishing is also preferred. The majority of the year would be spent at dock as we own a restaurant and rarely get away for more than a week at a time.

Thanks in advance.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 15:47   #3
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Boats go about the same speed as bicycles.
LOL... Let me modify this a bit.

Most Sail Boats go about the same speed as bicycles

I think he's looking for a 12 knot Trawler
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 16:50   #4

after I posted this I did some more reading on this forum and some of my questions were answered. I have been looking at trawlers and found some in my price range. I still have questions about seaworthiness, and comfort. What manufacturers should I focus on? Defever was mentioned on another thread......is there any others I should look at?
cignetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 19:22   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
still have questions about seaworthiness, and comfort.
So how comfortable do you want to be? It's not an exact definition. Seaworthiness is an abstract concept too. If it makes the trip and you are not comfortable it could still be seaworthy if you don't sink and die.

The manufacturer won't give you the money back if it is neither seaworthy or comfortable. Those are aspects you need to define in your own terms that define a boat. As far as budget goes there are many. Unless you intend on doing this as an open ocean trip. There are no boats in your budget that can do that. Multiply by 10 for an open ocean trip.

I think you may be on the wrong track as far as looking for a brand name. Flemming and Krogen come to mind as well as Defever but they are out of the price range. If you want to do this on a budget then you need to get into it more from the point of view of how long do you have and how do you want to do this trip. Do you want to go one way or come back too. What about expenses? The fuel bill is not small. It might run $15,000. 3 to 10 gallons per hour is not uncommon on the very low end. Marina fees might average $75 per night or more depending on how comfortable you can afford. Insurance and other fees could add to this. If you don';t have a boating background that will add to the cost as well.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 14:49   #6
Hal

Fly to Florida and rent boat and crew for a weeks trip and then fly back. It would be alot cheaper and you would porbably have as much fun.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 15:16   #7

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Too many variables, not enough info. Do you want to live on the boat? What do you think you need to be comfortable? Any idea of size? Have you ever been on a boat, if so what did/didn't you like? When you say seaworthy, are you talking about open ocean or coastal cruisng?

There are literally thousands of boats, thats like me asking what can I eat for 10-100 bucks between NY and FL.

Do more research, find out whatcha want in a boat, and you'll get pointed in the right direction.

Tons of info here, welcome aboard.

Cheers

Bill

Tags
liveaboard