Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 18:58   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Receiving Social Security crusing

derfus, I'm pretty sure the nice folks at Social Security have been warning the public for the past year that as of some date in 2013, they will stop mailing checks. The damned things just cost too much to print and mail.

You'll get your money with EBT and if you have no bank account, they have a special government EBT card they can send you which can be used at ATMs.

You might want to check directly with the SSA on when the cut-off is and whether there are any exceptions to be allowed. And if there are restrictions on what kind of banks or accounts they'll EBT your funds into.

I love the way the traditionalists say "I don't trust electronic banking, I won't do it" while their mailboxes are being broken into and postal carriers attacked so real traditional thieves can steal their traditional checks, the old fashioned way.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 19:09   #17

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

There were no ATMs on the outside of Baja after Ensenada except in San Carlos. I ran out of cash in Bahia Magdalena because I forgot to go to the ATM when we took a panga over to San Carlos for the day. Sailed into Cabo with no tobacco and 4 pesos. Not the end of the world but after we tied up I sure hurried to the closest ATM and then the closest liquor store to get a cigar!
We use the direct deposit for SSDI.
Old 11-01-2013, 19:17   #18

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

When cruising, the coconut telegraph usually let's you know if ATM's or banks aren't available, or are limited, and you can plan accordingly.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:03   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there are no atm machines in cedros island village, either, but ... there are many on mexican mainland, an d if you are knowing you are going to a place sans atm, the usual idea is to withdraw enough to use in these places...

there is no internet in cedros island village other than the office of port cpt, either.....

sendin g money via western union is a very very pricey idea. research it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:06   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
automatic deposit into the bank of your choice within the united states of amerikuh....and withdraw it using that lil card the bank lets ye have ...is truly easy.

didnt realize they still mailed out checks.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:07   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there are no atm machines in cedros island village, either, but ... there are many on mexican mainland, an d if you are knowing you are going to a place sans atm, the usual idea is to withdraw enough to use in these places...

there is no internet in cedros island village other than the office of port cpt, either.....

sendin g money via western union is a very very pricey idea. research it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 16:46   #22

Western Union expense seems comparable to the ATM. The main advantages are:

You can get a huge wad in one go.

There is no card to protect, carry, renew.

The transaction is performed in a more secure environment: an office rather than on the street.

The expense is often less per unit. Many ATMs are not part of your network.

The bank does not randomly stop payment because of suspicious transactions or a new country or non-use of the card for 6 months.

In the Philippines there is an office approximately each 20 meters.

I will summarize the costs in a future post.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 18:44   #23

Boat: csy 37

the drop dead date is march 1 2013. after that date you must have signed up for direct deposit or they will send you a debit card instead of your check. or so they're saying here -

Direct Deposit

we have it direct deposited to our checking accounts (2) and use atm cards. you should always have money stashed away somewhere on the boat for those times when there is no atm or banks are closed or neither exists.

i also have a credit card which, if i forget to or can't make a payment, they will automatically take the minimum payment out of my checking account. most credit card companies can set this up for you - really worth doing imho.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 18:54   #24

Boat: csy 37

pan pan pan.

just noticed that with the direct express debit card that they give you, there is a 3% fee for purchases or atm withdrawals outside the usa. in addition, there is a $3.00 fee for atm withdrawals outside the usa plus whatever the local atm charges. could get expensive. better to deal with your own bank...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 14:10   #25

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Direct Deposit which will be a requirement from the SSA very soon.
Old 17-01-2013, 17:19   #26

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

My retirement check gets e-deposited each month in my bank.

My bank also does paperless depoists for checks... ie: you give me a check and I type the bank information off the chech into my electronic bank page and they cash the check without ever seeing it.

We have found ATMS in most places in Mexico, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama. When we go to isolated places, we just make sure to carry enough cash so not to run out. The Cruiser Coconut Telegraph will let you know when you need t cary more cash.

In combination with the E-Banking, we use St Brendan's Isle Mail Service. They scan everything, which makes it easier when living abroad.

Finally, I use Capitol One VISA, which has NO International Transaction Fees.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 18:12   #27

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Shop around for a bank--some of them, like Bank of America, charge fees for overseas transactions and ATM use which are 2-3 times what others do. We use our Fidelity account overseas.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 18:36   #28

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
My retirement check gets e-deposited each month in my bank. When we go to isolated places, we just make sure to carry enough cash so not to run out. Finally, I use Capitol One VISA, which has NO International Transaction Fees.

E-deposit, absolutely. And that Capital One Visa saves mucho-mula as the transactions (and the years) roll up. Don't leave home without it. (ahem)

Google "Global Alliance" (widespread in North America, Caribbean, South Pacific, etc.) and see if your ATM card is part of it. Using banks that are part of a grouping reduce and/or eliminates out-of-network fees.

ANZ Bank (Australia) for ATM no-fee access throughout Asia.

And, yes, have CASH tucked away a'board for those unexpected times. Like the only ATM in town is out of order due to lighting strikes, or the locals stocked up on party-cash for a 3-day festival just hours before you drop anchor on day one.

We've also got xxx in traveler's cheques, split between us- just in case.

We've found that US dollars and Euros are widely accepted for decent rates; British Pounds.... not so great / not so widely used anymore. (Don't shoot the messenger!

Of course, having cash in local currency eases many tribulations.....

Plan ahead, I guess.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 19:00   #29

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Theres always a buyer for Kruger Rands LOL you woud be suprised at the places ya can sell them for Great prices ! don't have a bunch anymore but they sure extend your cruiseing buget with current prices for gold !! We traded for some years ago, and they have been a god send over the years! If ya get a chance to pick up gold coins do it !! just a thought !

Tags
security