Quick intro followed by some questions.
My name is Kris, fell in love with sailing on Lake Huron in Ontario Canada
. Had a CS22. Kids
came in to our lives. No regrets but sold the boat. My job allowed making a investment. Pulled the trigger. And could have 3k Canadian of steady cash flow in a year or two. Now 37 evaluated what is important to my wife and me. We don’t need a 3 bedroom home in the suburbs with two cars and everything else which society dictates as goals. We want to enjoy life to the fullest soon, not wait until we’re 65. Traveled to the Caribbean
we love the warm climate. So we’re thinking, why not plan for it? And ask this members here having done this where our plan is flawed is it even realistic.
In a nut shell here is the current
1. Downsize our house in Canada
and buy a previously enjoyed 36-40 foot Beneteau
or a hunter
when the time is right.
2. Have ~3000k (Canadian cash flow)
3. Get really good with operating a boat this size… I’m sure there is a difference between a 22ft and 36ft sailboat. That and a difference between the great lakes
and the Ocean. Brush up on electrical
, mechanical and diesel engine repairs
. Wife was a seamstress at one point and am sure could repair sails
. Thinking maybe a part time thing for us.
4. Move to the Caribbean
for the winter and visit family
and friends back in Canada during the winter season.
Now on to some questions.
1. Is a 36 ft sailboat big enough to lifeaboard for two in the Caribbean?
2. Is out budget
realistic? Or do we need to suck it up for a few more years and increase it?
3. Which island would you recommend to start off with? Taking into account budget
, a desire to explore, and safety
. Where is a good place to meet fellow cruiser? Lear the ins and outs of living on a boat? Cost effectively. Marinas
vs sheltered bays.
4. Curious about safety
on shore? When exploring the islands. (my flip flops went missing in Costa Rica
when I went for a swim.)
5. Can a sailboat be left safely unattended during the day when anchored?
6. What do most of the folks do with their boats during the hurricane
All answers, advice and guidance you can contribute are greatly appreciated. I mean, everyone had to start somewhere. Where can we and what will it take?