Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 11:12   #1

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Real ID issues?

Leaving all the politics out of it, please, does anyone have any problems with the Real ID Act causing difficulties for full-time liveaboards?

I was recently considering a job in another state and I was thinking it might be nice to liveaboard there. I have lived aboard in the past for as much as twelve years straight, so that is not something I need advice on. But, I was reading up on what new residents of this state needed to do in order to prove a residence address for a driver's license and it just wouldn't be possible as a liveaboard. They have a long list of things you can use to prove your residence, and it has to be a street address, no mail boxes, etc. And none of those things would be likely to be had by a liveaboard.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Documentation required before issuing a license or ID card
Before a card can be issued, the applicant must provide the following documentation:[20]

A photo ID, or a non-photo ID that includes full legal name and birthdate.
Documentation of birth date.
Documentation of legal status and Social Security number
Documentation showing name and principal residence address.
Digital images of each identity document will be stored in each state DMV database.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:26   #2

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
The street address of a marina wouldn't work?

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Real ID issues?

I've lived aboard in marina's in the UK (UK citizen) and still had to pay council tax etc... address was something like this..

SV Notgoinganywhere,
31A, Brixham Marina,
Brixham,
Devon.

Seemed to satisfy the authorities..
US may well be different.. all that freedom...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:53   #4

Re: Real ID issues?

Quote:
The street address of a marina wouldn't work?
I don't think it would work because you have to supply documents showing that address as your residence, like a utility bill, a lease, etc. Most marinas around here won't accept mail for people on boats, and anyway once they run an address like that through the postal service address check it shows up as a commercial address not registered in your name, and they'll reject it. At least that is what I have heard.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:11   #5

As Real ID is a federal program I think the issue facing the OP is with the state, even more likely is a clueless agency drone.

The feds will allow for lack of physical mailing address. Simply provide a map detailing how to find your actual abode, your boat in this case.

Re: the sarcastic twaddle of freedoms in America, the answer is to be found in politics, a subject which we will avoid in this thread.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:14   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Real ID issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I don't think it would work because you have to supply documents showing that address as your residence, like a utility bill, a lease, etc. Most marinas around here won't accept mail for people on boats, and anyway once they run an address like that through the postal service address check it shows up as a commercial address not registered in your name, and they'll reject it. At least that is what I have heard.
Over here the Marina bill is your utility bill... states monthly rent charged, charge for elec and water.. just pay 6mths up front and its a rental contract.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:23   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

kettlewell, i used marina addresses for years. it works well, as long as your boat is there and you are paying rent to the marina..your marina bill is proof of residence, also proof of need to pay property taxes. exactly what boatman said.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:24   #8

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

You didn't say what state you wanted to live in, but Florida and California are no problem with getting ID's or Drivers License while living on a boat. As a matter of fact they both allow PMB addresses.

If you don't want to mention the state, you might want to contact their DMV directly and inquire.

There is always some way to do this since just about every state will provide Homeless Persons with ID.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:31   #9

I live aboard full time . I am in the state of confusion and often do not know who the hell I am is that a problem ?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:56   #10

Real ID is a USA law, so it won't affect those outside the USA. Maybe it isn't a problem. I haven't tried this recently since the laws went into effect. Here's what one state wants. It seems like the bank statement is a way around the problem, but I know the banks also require you to prove where you live--I'm not sure what they ask for. Keep in mind I'm sure it is different in each state, and so far it doesn't sound like anyone is having a problem with this.

Quote:
Proof of Residency

2 If the out-of-state license is
not available at time of
transfer you must submit a
driving record or verification
from the other state
Valid Voter Registration Card.
Within 60 Days

Utility bill (gas, electric, telephone, cable, oil) in your name or
in the name of an immediate family member with the same
last name; or

Personal check or bank statement with your name and
address (no P.O. box); or

Payroll check stub with your name and address.
Within Valid Effective Dates

Insurance policy for your home/apartment with your name
and address; or

Property tax bill for your residence; or

If a minor, school records, which include the student’s
address and are for the current school year (or past year if
during summer vacation). Acceptable records include a
report card, diploma, transcript or ID card, together with
parent's license/ID with same address.
Within 30 Days

Letter from shelter or halfway house indicating
that applicant resides there. Such a letter must be on
letterhead, must be dated within presentation and must
include name and contact information of an administrator of
the shelter or halfway house.
Old 11-04-2013, 13:00   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Kettlewell, you might be better off telling us what state you want to get ID in, since every state has their own requirements and terms.

Rhode Island has gotten very finicky, to prevent people from abusing the in-state rates for their University. Florida was taken to court by homeless living "under Bridge #2, Julia Tuttle Causeway" and forced to allow that as a residential address for voters.

Somewhere in between...unless you're planning to move to one of those states?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 13:06   #12

I'm not moving yet, and may not move, so I wasn't really looking for advice on how to work the rules in a particular state--mainly I was just wondering if cruisers were encountering problems with this anywhere.
Old 11-04-2013, 13:22   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, if you are in Saratoga...last time I checked NYS issued two different driver's licenses. One "traditional" and the second, at a higher cost, "RealID" compliant. OTOH Florida moved to RealID-only about three years ago, and made the Nooze because it created such massive problems because no one was bringing in enough "proper" paperwork.

USCIS suggests "FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Darrell Williams, REAL ID Program Office, Department of Homeland Security, Washington, DC 20528 (202) 282-9829. "

They also say "DHS changed the definition of “principal residence” from the location where a person has his or her true, fixed, and permanent home and intends to return, to the location where a person currently resides even if this location is temporary, in conformance with the residency requirements of the State issuing the driver's license or identification card, if such requirements exist."

So in Congress' infinite rush to terrorize the American people, they have put you at the mercy of the fifty sovereign states. I suppose the best ID would be an official one supplied by the victors of the last terror war, Al-Queda. (sigh)

If your intended new home is "Aboard the Yacht Transgression, Slip 32A" and your new state says that ain't a residence...I suppose the good news is that if you don't live there, you must not owe taxes either, huh?

Since my passport and passport card don't show any residential address, maybe they're not valid as Real-ID either ?!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 13:27   #14

Actually, here in NY they are soon going to change all the licenses again to some physical material that is somehow much more difficult to forge. There was a big uproar about this a few months ago because the change is costly, the photos will only be black + white, and the company supplying them is from Canada.
Old 11-04-2013, 13:48   #15

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

NJ has this problem. but the county gave me 3 different voter ID cards ( for 3 different townships ), so I think a voter ID could be help in getting ID. Plus you could ask your boss to send you a small initial payroll check with address you provide as second form of proof.