Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-04-2013, 17:39   #46

Boat: sunk by irma
Re: Real ID issues?

Kettlewell - while a marina address will suffice for many practical purposes, I think a fundamental aspect of Real ID is that you have prove you have a "permanent address" by providing documentation in the form of a mortgage or lease agreement.

For a while we were looking at a marina that would have specifically prohibited us from using the marina address as a permanent address. Without a permanent address we would have been unable to get a driver's license or open a bank account in what would have been for us a new state.

It is my understanding that in light of this, we would have been unable to establish a domain in this new state. This is important because you not give up your old domain unless you establish a new one.

At the time I think we just figured we would use a friend's address, keep our old driver's license, and pay taxes in our old state.

Old 12-04-2013, 18:17   #47

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

In Maryland, I had to get the manager of the DMV to approve that I was a resident. The problem is that my marina address is not a place where I get mail. But it was done with out much to do. The credit cards all sent me notices stating that I had to have a physical address. On the response I said that I lived on a sailboat at it was located in Chesapeake Bay. They all accepted that response.
When I travel, and enter the US I list my marina's address and the apartment number is my slip number. All they want is something that their computer will accept as a "format" of an address.
I hear rumor than as a documented US vessel, I can use my USCG document as my physical location. I have yet to test that concept, but that may happen soon as I will be on the hook and not at a marina.

ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 18:28   #48

Quote:
I don't have any real problem with having to prove who you are in order to get an ID.
It's not usually a problem proving who you are with things like a passport, birth certificate, and social security number, but the problem arises when you need to prove a residence address and the system only understands that to mean a physical street address in a building. Sounds like not a lot of people have encountered this problem yet, as the Real ID law is being inconsistently administered. Sounds like it could be a problem depending on where you want to get a driver's license.

It is understandable that the system only imagines square pegs in square holes, so when a round peg comes along you have to make it square to fit!
Old 12-04-2013, 23:20   #49

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Once again the solution to the problem outlined in this thread must be resolved by the two words: it depends!

It depends on which State you're talking about.

I lived on my boat at two locations in Calif. At the first one I used a Post Office box for my address for ALL forms of business. Drivers license, credit cards, on my checks, IRS, State income taxes, County property taxes, voter registration, job,- everything.

So please don't tell me I needed a house address. Because that was simply not true.

Your state may be different than mine. I strongly urge the OP to ask a liveaboard in the area he wishes to live, what the local rules are!
Old 14-04-2013, 07:03   #50

Quote:
I lived on my boat at two locations in Calif. At the first one I used a Post Office box for my address for ALL forms of business. Drivers license, credit cards, on my checks, IRS, State income taxes, County property taxes, voter registration, job,- everything.

So please don't tell me I needed a house address. Because that was simply not true.
Yes, that was true in the past, but that has all changed in many states due to the Real ID Act, if not most. California may be an exception. It was changed here in New York five or ten years ago. Now it is street address only (but you can have just a PO Box printed on the license itself). Apparently it is also that way in Florida. It appears to be that way in most of the states I have looked at, so you can't go by what you did a few years back. If you are moving to a new state, check out the rules before you wait in the line at DMV only to discover you need your birth certificate, a utility bill, a lease, etc.
Old 14-04-2013, 08:39   #51
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As I said in #13, DHS had CHANGED THE RULES. And a number of states have either contested that in court, or complied with it, or adpoted other non-uniform positions and transition periods.

Your mileage will vary depending on your state, and until and unless the states adopt DHS's ultra-liberal definition of residency (which sounds more like domicile, which is not always the same thing under state laws) your mileage will continue to vary.

Forget about what you have, or what you did, or what the rules were in any state five years ago. We are now ruled by the domestic terrorists who took over the country after the Al-Queda victory on 9/11 ("DHS") and all the rules are still changing.

The good news is that if your chosen state does not accept "second bridge under the causeway" as your residency, and you actually live there, you can and will be able to bring suit against them and get that changed. And in the meantime, you can get ALL of their DHS funding suspended, until they comply. Carrot, meet stick.

A sweetheart deal like SBI's with the FloridaDMV, probably will go away as the Florida DMV is required to stop using postal drops in favor of actual residences, under the same DHS rules.

A lot of agencies are writing their own rules, and that's often perfectly legal, now. But DHS will eventually enforce compliance, unless they change their rules again.

Read any articles about homeless and poor voters in Florida and Pennsylvania, bringing lawsuits because the new ID requirements disenfranchise them? Read 'em again, because boaters are just more "homeless" people, and the same terms will apply.
Old 14-04-2013, 09:12   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

LOL, California is always the exception. There are many areas here where physical residences in the boonies only have a PO box as mail is not delivered to them. Mainly because they are so far away from any town or paved road. It may be a while before Cali complies with real ID.
Old 14-04-2013, 09:34   #53

Quote:
There are many areas here where physical residences in the boonies only have a PO box as mail is not delivered to them.
It's the same in a lot of rural America, but virtually everywhere has a street address set up so that fire departments and police can locate them as part of the national 911 system. A lot of people don't realize how rural upstate New York is. For example, Hamilton County in the Adirondacks, with a population of under 5000, is the least populated county east of the Mississippi. In any case, a lot of folks up there live on some road that got a street address assigned to it a few years back even though there is no mail delivery. Now they need to use that address to get their driver's license, but they can have their mail with regard to the license sent to a PO Box and they can have the PO Box appear on the license, but when the police look up your license they see a street address associated with it.
Old 14-04-2013, 09:57   #54

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Yes, that was true in the past, but that has all changed in many states due to the Real ID Act, if not most. California may be an exception. It was changed here in New York five or ten years ago. Now it is street address only (but you can have just a PO Box printed on the license itself). Apparently it is also that way in Florida. It appears to be that way in most of the states I have looked at, so you can't go by what you did a few years back. If you are moving to a new state, check out the rules before you wait in the line at DMV only to discover you need your birth certificate, a utility bill, a lease, etc.
Kettlewell,
Not so in Texas either as town have home outside of has NO STREET ADDRESSes and everyone has to go to the Post Office to get their mail from their P.O. Box. When you close on your property you receive a key @ closing to the Post Office which had cameras and is locked. Post Person comes 3 times a week to del & p/u mail on a posted 1/2 hr schedule. In the case of sharecroppers, tenants, or renters you go to your landlord (owner of record). Good for getting your mail bad if you wanted to use a P.O. service. Your D/L & voter id will show your P.O. Box number as will your elec bill. Town is 2 blocks by 1 block with apx 8 biz locations and 10 homes. Population is listed @ 40 but another 800+ live in the service area with just over half on the King Ranch. How are they going to rule otherwise when they, the govt, setup this system anyway of no street address's and everything to an unmanned post location? We used to have Fire Dept. # 's but now it is your GPS location. Know I was amazed when first saw the listing sheet with no street address and when called the listing broker was informed the whole town was that way. On the positive boating side we can go down the waterway, thru a bay and then down the ICW to the Gulf. And many people in the area are friendly boaters. That is our Real ID.
Johnny
Old 14-04-2013, 11:13   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Real ID is a USA law, so it won't affect those outside the USA. Maybe it isn't a problem. I haven't tried this recently since the laws went into effect. Here's what one state wants. It seems like the bank statement is a way around the problem, but I know the banks also require you to prove where you live--I'm not sure what they ask for. Keep in mind I'm sure it is different in each state, and so far it doesn't sound like anyone is having a problem with this.
Go sign up at the shelter!! Just kidding ha ha...seems like you could go to a guest house(spend some money) or something and then have all mail forwarded to a General Delivery post office wherever you may be after a months rent has expired,might cost you a couple ahundredbucks but you get an address...Ifin it aint illegal..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: