Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 14:46   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Real ID issues?

Yes, there's only one possible source of secure credentials. In B&W, from Canada, and all the other states missed out on it.

Ahuh. This is like when NYS switches to red-white-and-blue license plates, and switched again, and then said they HAD to switch back because of real important things like reflectors being bleached out and expired plates...and then they changed their minds again, and said folks could keep the dangerous old plates because the economy was so bad. Hmmm. Dangerous, must be replaced...Or not?

My only complaint about nepotism in NYS is that I don't have an Uncle in Albany. License plates, licenses...too many sweetheart deals that "MUST" be done.

Black and white is harder to counterfeit, right.
Like the clown says, "Homey don't think so!"

Back when Daivd Dinkins was still Mayor of NYC, consumer reporter Betty Furness (WABC) went to the commissioner of elections and showed him six voter ID cards, and asked why it was so easy for her to register to vote--six times. He responded by having her arrested for voting fraud, big mistake, that made it national nooze that same night. And Dinkins said not to worry, the man shouldn't have done that, but since there was a new administration coming in in a couple of months, they'd change everything. Uh, well, twenty? years later, federal voting laws or not, you can still register to vote six times in NYC.

Yeah, black and white is harder to counterfeit.

What does Al-Queda charge for a driver's license anyway? And, can you take the road test on a camel?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 14:59   #17

Kettlewell, we were successful opening bank accounts and driver's licenses in MD using our marina lease. Our driver's licenses even have a slip number as part of our legal address!

We've also consistently heard that St Brendan's Isle has figured out how to work with FL authorities to get cruising liveaboards residence in FL. We may be trying that next year...
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 15:35   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

What does Al-Queda charge for a driver's license anyway? And, can you take the road test on a camel?

I think you'll find they mostly use high end Toyota land cruisers ....

Ps. iD seem to have generally gone to black and white these days.

Dave
Old 11-04-2013, 15:42   #19

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Kettlewell, we were successful opening bank accounts and driver's licenses in MD using our marina lease. Our driver's licenses even have a slip number as part of our legal address!

We've also consistently heard that St Brendan's Isle has figured out how to work with FL authorities to get cruising liveaboards residence in FL. We may be trying that next year...
I'll second that here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland you can use your marina address and state ID's can be sent to a mailing address too. Not so hard and one of the better things the MD government does (DNR folks and parks folks rock too!) is ID. I've even seen places like a Mailboxes Etc. used as they are often shown as addresses and not PO box. My favorite though is an old friend that owns a postage stamp sized lot in Pasadena (like 200 square feet total) and the only thing on it is a locking mailbox. Making it his street legal address.

I'd think a valid signed lease with a marina would work nearly anywhere.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 15:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
You didn't say what state you wanted to live in, but Florida and California are no problem with getting ID's or Drivers License while living on a boat. As a matter of fact they both allow PMB addresses.

If you don't want to mention the state, you might want to contact their DMV directly and inquire.

There is always some way to do this since just about every state will provide Homeless Persons with ID.
Not entirely accurate......

IF you are coming to Florida and you need to get a Florida DL/ID you must comply with Real ID. To put it bluntly it can be a total PIA.

+To find out what you need... Gather Go Get the FLORiDA Card: Index is the main page but here is a long checklist.. you can custom do your documents.
Gather Go Get the FLORiDA Card: Your FloridaCard Checklist

At the least you will need either your BC or passport and your social security card.
A lease for you marina will be one document to establish you residence address. All you have to do is have the dockmaster print apt instead of slip.. trust me, it has worked.
ANY piece of mail from a government entity with the marina address on it will work and here in Fla marinas that have liveaboards generally accept mail for them. IF I can help pm me.. btdt..

Let me make you all laugh.. as it is pretty obvious I am a girl.. and been married a few times. When I was going thru this was in 2011 the system was a yr old here. It took me three try's with 2 dmv offices and a county office to get my renewed DL and none of my docs had changed before during the ordeal.

DMV in downtown St. Pete.. guy tells me that he cannot accept my documents because my divorce decree did not prove I had ever been married. He also refused to accept my state of NC issued Bc because "florida only accepts original BCs"..so I pulled out that long form (its black and white) and then he freaked.. the green safety paper says I was born at fort bragg. Black and white original says womack army hosp pope field nc. duh... they ARE the same place ... so I left..

Week later I go out to the Tyrone DMV office and sit there for 2.5 hrs. Lady calls me up, looks at the same docs (minus the long form bc) then tells me that the US does not accept out of the US marriage certificates, esp written in another language, that I would have to remarry my (long dead) husband in the US then come back. When I politely pointed out my husband had been dead since 1984 and this was 2011. She replied, "I cannot help that, you will have to remarry him in the US.". I left... sigh...

That was in Jan... In March I had to take my son to a court date in Citrus county where my DL address is anyway... so I tried again while he was in court... Lady at the county office took my docs, same one as the first two times.. put them all in chronological order, followed the progression of names. Looked up, told me to go stand in front of the camera took my money gave me my renewal DL. I was out the door in 20 min.

Please laugh because I did thru the whole thing.. MY docs were
Letters from courts to get copies of divorce decrees, my voters ID, SS card, utility bill at my address. It is not as hard as it sounds.. and if you are a guy it is a piece of cake. Guys never change their names when they get divorced.. lol...

Please laugh... I did, thru the whole process..

As I said, IF you are coming to Fl and I can help pm me..
'bella
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 16:05   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblingman View Post
I'll second that here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland you can use your marina address and state ID's can be sent to a mailing address too. Not so hard and one of the better things the MD government does (DNR folks and parks folks rock too!) is ID. I've even seen places like a Mailboxes Etc. used as they are often shown as addresses and not PO box. My favorite though is an old friend that owns a postage stamp sized lot in Pasadena (like 200 square feet total) and the only thing on it is a locking mailbox. Making it his street legal address.

I'd think a valid signed lease with a marina would work nearly anywhere.
I have used a POB here in Fla before as my address on my DL.. .the Patriot Act changed all that for everyone. Used to be able to use POB to apply for credit cards and bank accounts... not anymore.

IF you are applying for a first time drivers license in Fla you have to appear IN person... used to be you could do it via the mail. Once you have your gold star then you can do it all online. That is until you hit, I think it is, 70, when you have to come in each time for a vision test.

I think, initially, the problems had a lot to do with the difference in a lot of documents from a lot of places.. btw.. MY mom was born at home in 1918. She was refused a DL/ID because she did not have a BC... she just laughed at them and pointed out that she had her military ID.. which btw, is also valid ID and you can have that changed to your new address and use as a 2nd ary id for the DL/ID.
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 16:20   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

[QUOTE=Kettlewell;1208242]Leaving all the politics out of it, please, does anyone have any problems with the Real ID Act causing difficulties for full-time liveaboards? [Quote]
........... 'never had any form of problem with any addresses I've used although my addresses have changed from Marina to PO Box to PBM over the last 42 years. We have owned nothing ashore since 2002,- no cars or dock boxes, etc. The IRS and all others recognize me!
Old 11-04-2013, 16:24   #23

Boat: Morgan 416
I just received a replacement DL in NY with my PO Box as my address. I also have checking and credit card with the PO Box as the only address. I gave the DMV my street address but said I was moving and would prefer the PO Box and they didn't blink an eye!
PapaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 16:36   #24

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
Not entirely accurate......

IF you are coming to Florida and you need to get a Florida DL/ID you must comply with Real ID. To put it bluntly it can be a total PIA.
We have a St Brenda's Isle Mailbox... Went to The Green Cove Springs (Clay County) DMV with our California Drivers License, SS Card, a bank statement and the boat documentation, both with our SBI address. Walked out of the DMV twenty minutes later with new Florida Drivers License and were Registered to Vote.

It is not that hard...

Bella don''t you have a Passport to prove your Birthdate and Citizenship?

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 16:39   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I also, in California, have a new drivers license with a PO Box as the address. I was worried but in reality it was not a problem at all.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 16:50   #26

Boat: Finnsailer 38

In NY they will put the PO Box on your license, and will mail forms to the PO Box, but you still have to supply and prove your residence address--a PO box is not technically acceptable, though I have found that DMV offices vary hugely in how they interpret and follow the letter of the law, and I suspect the phases of the moon have something to do with it too. I was in one office when they were sending all sorts of old folks away in tears who didn't have their social security cards and probably had no idea where they were. A few years back they started requiring proof of social security number and they would only take the actual card, but I think most offices will now accept other proof of that too.
Old 11-04-2013, 17:08   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Lucky I did not have to prove my residents as it would have been completely impossible. I was really worried about that. No utilities, no bank account, etc. But being blonde helps I'm guessing...

They did have my old marina address on file, but try to find an anchor out there. Plus I don't have a car either, so the drivers license is just an ID for me anyway...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:09   #28

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Heck come on down to Louisiana, down here ya can get a DL with your residence being your boat name and your location Can be on the Bayou at Wherever your at !! No problem cus we still have folks living on barges with houses on them !And lots of single fishermen living on there boats with no land dwellings to use as an address! Just sayin things are easy down the Bayou
Old 11-04-2013, 17:41   #29

Boat: CORBIN 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Leaving all the politics out of it, please, does anyone have any problems with the Real ID Act causing difficulties for full-time liveaboards?

I was recently considering a job in another state and I was thinking it might be nice to liveaboard there. I have lived aboard in the past for as much as twelve years straight, so that is not something I need advice on. But, I was reading up on what new residents of this state needed to do in order to prove a residence address for a driver's license and it just wouldn't be possible as a liveaboard. They have a long list of things you can use to prove your residence, and it has to be a street address, no mail boxes, etc. And none of those things would be likely to be had by a liveaboard.

From Wikipedia:
I would guess all you would need to do is keep your old driver's license until they find a way to get you a new one! sort of " not my problem"
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 18:55   #30

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I also, in California, have a new drivers license with a PO Box as the address. I was worried but in reality it was not a problem at all.
You THINK you have a CDL with a PO Box as address, because that's what it says on the front. The DMV also has a street address for you--probably the last one you gave them.

I had my CDL and car registered to the PO Box, but my parking ticket went to the old street address-good thing I found out about it before they threw me in jail.

The other gotcha with the DMV and the PO box is I have the PO box mail forwarded to me when I am in the US, and the driver's license renewals say 'do not forward'.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote