Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2013, 04:56   #16

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Vegan Liveaboards?

Hiya Force! Indigenous fruits in the Caribbean are: Carambola, Sour-sop, Breadfruit, Chataigne, Passion fruit, among others. I'll bet you've heard about most of them!

Mauritz
Knows and sees all...ONLY a Dullah!
Old 25-08-2013, 05:27   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Caribbean Fruits:

Cariibean Fruits

Fruits of the Caribbean | Wiwords.com

A Visual Guide to Latin American and Caribbean Produce at Epicurious.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 06:12   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post

Indigenous fruits in the Caribbean are: ... Breadfruit ...
I think at least breadfruit might be indigenous Asia, Pacific - remember Bounty?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 06:21   #19

One side drift comment is that in many places supermarket grade vegetables (and fruit) are well above farmers markets' vegs in quality. Also, in supermarkets, we can pick what we want, while in farmers' markets it is often the farmers that fill our bag. This is not what I want.

b.
Old 25-08-2013, 06:45   #20

I'm not a Vegan or even vegetarian. Just recently bought a can of bacon flavored TVP and don't feel the need to carry bacon on board after trying out a few recipes with it. Only thing is next time after opening I will repack it into smaller containers as a can of this stuff goes a long way for a single sailor such as my self. Still trying it out in some of my recipes but, so far I'm pleased with the product. Would like to try other TVP flavors in the future but, it's going to take a while to get through this can first.
Old 25-08-2013, 07:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
(...) bacon on board (...)
Try what is called 'pimenton dulce de la vera'. It is SMOKED, powdered paprika. You add some to any dish and it makes it taste completely like there is smoked bacon in it!

Very practical at sea and also a good nicorette ;-) for those who are converting to less meat more green diets.

PS It is made in Vera, Extremadura which is a Western province of continental Spain. Available online.

Cheers,
b.
Old 25-08-2013, 08:04   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Try what is called 'pimenton dulce de la vera'. It is SMOKED, powdered paprika. You add some to any dish and it makes it taste completely like there is smoked bacon in it!

Very practical at sea and also a good nicorette ;-) for those who are converting to less meat more green diets.

PS It is made in Vera, Extremadura which is a Western province of continental Spain. Available online.

Cheers,
b.
Thanks. This stuff sounds really good. I like paprika and I like smoky flavor.

Just ordered a couple of tins on Amazon.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:16   #23

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Try what is called 'pimenton dulce de la vera'. It is SMOKED, powdered paprika. You add some to any dish and it makes it taste completely like there is smoked bacon in it

Cheers,
b.
Smoked paprika is great stuff! Use it in all sorts of dishes. Works well with "smeat" (soy meat) for chili. We can find a 240g bottle at Costco that lasts a long time.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:20   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Another important strategy for produce shopping in the islands is to ask when the "ship comes in". Many produce bins are stocked fresh one day each week and if you shop the day before then the options will be small and limp!
Old 25-08-2013, 08:22   #25

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

"wife-imposed vegan heart was fibrilating like a jack-hammer as he bust to the front of the line screaming DOUBLBEEFANDBACONDON'THOLDTHECHEEZE!

Just remember cruising is about enjoying life. Its such a healty occupation that a 'normal' diet is fine."

I enjoy 95% of your posts, but we're not perfect, so here goes. "normal" is the key word here. Our modern diet is not 'normal'. It is a fad, a one hundred year fad. It's really not, "fine". Almost all food in western culture is primarily built totravel.That"DOUBLBEEFANDBACONDON'THOLDTHECHEEZE! " probably traveled a min of 2000 miles before it got to the establishment. Plus who knows how long it's been dead. (Not to mention what was stuffed into the critter before slaughter.) That in itself is not necessarily a problem because of refrigeration. But the question is, was it frozen the whole time? Was it thawed out a half a dozen time's, breakdown of equipment, transit delay's.? ? It's a choice, and everyone is entitled to make theirs. I for one pause before throwing my heart, kidneys, and liver to the wind. The verdict is in, has been for many years. The S.A.D. (standard american diet) is not "normal" or good for you. It is simply, by design, the most readily available. I'm not a strict vegitarian. I eat fresh wild fish, and if I can find fresh killed foul, I'll eat that. But the largest part of my diet is veggiefruitgrainbeanholdthecheese. I think, to the OP post that there is most likely indigenous plant food in every place humans congregate. Just my $.30, plus I'm making certain that I have a killer freezer to stash as much frozen vegggies as I can.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:26   #26
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

The sprouting thing is huge. Fresh crunchy veggies loaded with amino acids and enzymes. My favorites are mung beans and lentils. The mung beans are fully sprouted into long sprouts in as little as 2 days. Ive been looking to source 50 lb bags of both. I home can black red and garbonzo beans and keep plenty dried and canned aboard. With sesame seeds and the ninja the garbonzos and sesames turn into hummus quickly. There are many greens that are edible that people walk right by without noticing. Think of the wonderful dandelion greens people think of as weeds as they poison theyre yards trying to get rid of. Some research and asking the local population will go far. Were surrounded by great food, nowdays people wont eat anything that isnt sold in a grocery store it seems... Been vegan a few years now and dropped nearly 70lbs of fat. I feel like im 20 years younger.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:34   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Another important strategy for produce shopping in the islands is to ask when the "ship comes in". Many produce bins are stocked fresh one day each week and if you shop the day before then the options will be small and limp!
Yep and you can't always count on that in "paradise". I was in Culebra one time when the ferry to Vieques broke down. So the Puerto Rican authorities commandeered the ferry that normally serviced Culebra. Fellow who runs the weekly farmers market could not get to the island and so no fresh vegetables that week on Culebra because of that heist.
Old 25-08-2013, 12:20   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
The sprouting thing is huge.(...)
Yes, it is!

We have a 3-tier plastic sprouts garden - you can eat from the top while fresh batch is growing underneath, then just move the emptied dish to the bottom of the stack and seed next generation.

My fave are radish sprouts. Go great solo or with canned butter on freshly baked bread.

Cheers to all ya,
b.
Old 25-08-2013, 12:32   #29
Armchair Bucketeer

I won't say I have gone totally healthy on eating (or anything else!) in recent years, but nonetheless Caffeine, Nicotine and Guinness are no longer 3 of my 5 a day . and sometimes all 5 .

Nowadays my diet includes lots of fruit and nuts, more by accident than design and also not so much meat (never giving up bacon though so unlikely to become a vegan, or a fruitairean!) - strangely enough my weight went up , albeit that also related to other health stuff coming to a close ........am presently trying to knock off a stone (14lbs), including via the miracle of exercise .........can't say I will be in the next Olympics, but certainly feel a lot better / healthier in recent times than for many a year. or decade .

Not sure how the above fits in with this thread , I guess just to say that where there is a will there is a way and eat what you like does not have to be dull or unhealthy. and healthy food does have an effect, running on 2 star (or fumes!) only works for so long.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 16:24   #30
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
I've been interested in the Shuttle Chef for a while, but can you tell me this; if i get a meal started in the morning (while i'm eating breakfast) the pop it into the SC, will it be hot and edible at dinner time, ten or so hours later?
Cheers Matt...and the short answer is "yes". The longer answer is that it will depend on the recipe you're preparing, but for the great majority of recipes, it's "yes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
I'm thinking of bean-based recipes like goulash and curries.

i couldn't find out what i wanted to know from the site, i guess i'd really like to see the DVD and read some recipes BEFORE i purchase, rather than after (which is the current option, as the recipe book and the DVD come with the product when one buys it).

Thanks, Matt
How about we send you -- Would you prefer PM or Post here? -- some bean-based goulash and curry recipes?
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard