Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-10-2013, 11:15   #121
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Vegan Liveaboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Is it just me or do other vegans not eat much lettuce? Occassionally I will buy some red leaf to make wraps but my salads are more likely full of sprouts kale moringa leaves broccoli or collard greens but hardly ever lettuce.
I'm not a vegan but vegetarian. Lettuce volume is kind of variable in my diet. I do put a good bit in a salad but maybe half the total volume. The rest might be whatever veggies are on hand (carrots, beets, broccoli, cabbage, kale, etc) avocado, maybe sunflower seeds, toasted almonds, tofu chunks or non-vegan boiled egg, a bit of cheese and whatever else sounds good. Maybe I'm strange (OK yes I am strange) but not a huge sprout fan, at least not alfalfa sprouts.

My wife has several really good burger recipes: tofu burgers, mushroom burgers, nut burgers, cheddar/nut burger. When I fix mine I usually jam as much lettuce in the bun as I can fit and put a little on the side to supplement.

On the other hand, sometimes I go weeks without eating a salad, especially in seasons when we can get lots of fresh veggies at the local farmers market. This summer we feasted on heirloom tomatoes. A fat slice with a bit of fresh mozzarella and a dribble of balsamic vinegar. We are also still getting great Silver Queen corn.

All this is making me hungry. Think it's time for lunch.

Old 14-10-2013, 11:24   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
My wife has several really good burger recipes: tofu burgers, mushroom burgers, nut burgers, cheddar/nut burger.
If she is happy to share them, would you please be able to post the recipes for the mushroom burgers and nut burgers or any good lentil ones? For most of the year I have poor access to butchers (and no tofu is abailable) and I rely heavily on pulses. Any tried and true recipes are always welcome.

Now that autumn has set in I am back to enjoying lots of soups, most of which just happen to be vegan .

Old 14-10-2013, 13:38   #123
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
If she is happy to share them, would you please be able to post the recipes for the mushroom burgers and nut burgers or any good lentil ones? For most of the year I have poor access to butchers (and no tofu is abailable) and I rely heavily on pulses. Any tried and true recipes are always welcome.

Now that autumn has set in I am back to enjoying lots of soups, most of which just happen to be vegan .
Happy to share. Wife is not secretive about most recipes. Will ask when she get's home.

She has also put together some killer soup recipes and makes a really good vegetarian borscht. Soups usually some kind of bean or lentil with the standards; onion and garlic, chopped kale (add later so it isn't cooked to mush) and crumble a little feta in when you serve.
Old 14-10-2013, 13:51   #124

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

My vegetable salad...romaine lettuce, tomatoes, green pepper, cauliflower, onions, parsley, cucumbers, red radishes, calamata black olives, feta cheese...olive oil, vinegar, salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Bon appetit!

Mauritz
While sailing, my salad somehow vanishes too quickly...hard to find all these ingredients in most islands!
Old 14-10-2013, 14:01   #125

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Happy to share. Wife is not secretive about most recipes. Will ask when she get's home.

She has also put together some killer soup recipes and makes a really good vegetarian borscht. Soups usually some kind of bean or lentil with the standards; onion and garlic, chopped kale (add later so it isn't cooked to mush) and crumble a little feta in when you serve.
Borscht is big in my part of the world, as there is a large East European and Ukrainian population here. I have never known it'd be anything but vegetarian.
Old 14-10-2013, 14:06   #126

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Borscht is big in my part of the world, as there is a large East European and Ukrainian population here. I have never known it'd be anything but vegetarian.
I think it is frequently meat stock based. My husband and I are both beetroot fans and beetroot is readily available here, so I make a veggie version occasionally. It is extra good with navy beans. Another good vegan soup .
Old 14-10-2013, 14:38   #127
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Having grown up with vegetarian (not vegan) siblings who had a hard time not starting a sentence with "You should . . .", I've been a confirmed carnivore who considers beer a vegetable and St. Patrick's Day beer a green vegetable. That said, I found Michael Pollan's book, In Defense of Food, an extremely sensible, non-polemic approach to eating well on a Western diet. It hasn't changed my thinking about the central role of malt beverages , but what we now eat tends to be much healthier than before using some of his simple ideas.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 15:49   #128

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Given the popularity of this topic, I have started a new thread in the provisioning sub forum:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1364821

Hope members can chime in with their contributions so we can all get inspired by new ideas .
Old 14-10-2013, 16:04   #129
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now working Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
It's just a matter of calories. To gain 10 lb. in a year you only have to eat 91 extra calories a day.
Very reluctantly (!) we venture into this thread to make what we see as a simple, but quite important, clarification. To be truly accurate, the above statement needs to say...'It's just a matter of calories and exercise.'

Someone who exercises heavily can (and probably should) consume vastly more calories to achieve the same net weight gain or loss than someone with a relatively sedentary lifestyle.

We also noted an earlier post to the effect that not eating honey because it involved animals was "whacko"...and we wondered how many viewers of this thread might be more liberally applying that description to other eating habits herein...not counting Coops, of course...

We will now slip quietly back into the crowd of spectators to this hotbed of views.
Old 14-10-2013, 16:38   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
Here are a series of critques and peer-reviewed articles directly related the The China Study

The China Study | Raw Food SOS
No they aren't. They aren't peer reviewed at all. There are a series of articles written by the website owner, Ms. Minger, who's site is dedicated to the raw food diet. The raw food diet is about 180 degrees out of sync from the vegan diet. Think there's any conflict there?

While Ms Minger might be very bright (I don't know), her formal education has brought her an undergraduate degree in English. She also lists the elementary school and middle school she graduated from, but I don't see that as relevant.

How about a non-biased example? How about a real peer-reviewed scientific study with a full vetting, answers to the criticism, and honest critique?
Old 14-10-2013, 16:59   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Is it just me or do other vegans not eat much lettuce?
I think that once we get into some of the more interesting vegetables, lettuce is just a bit boring. It doesn't keep well in a boat either without a lot of refrigeration.

I find that I almost never eat a regular salad (except in a restaurant). It's a funny outcome of the experience.

Onboard, one of the most fun things is cruising based on farmer's markets. It's great to get local produce and talk to the farm workers themselves to find out what's new, fresh, and coming next. Cruising through following the harvest is a wonderful thing.
Old 14-10-2013, 17:20   #132

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmeanderer View Post

No they aren't. They aren't peer reviewed at all. There are a series of articles written by the website owner, Ms. Minger, who's site is dedicated to the raw food diet. The raw food diet is about 180 degrees out of sync from the vegan diet. Think there's any conflict there?

While Ms Minger might be very bright (I don't know), her formal education has brought her an undergraduate degree in English. She also lists the elementary school and middle school she graduated from, but I don't see that as relevant.

How about a non-biased example? How about a real peer-reviewed scientific study with a full vetting, answers to the criticism, and honest critique?
Here are some abstracts which certainly suggest no correlation to cancer rates in omnivore diets, which humans are. Like bears and pigs are.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19166134/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16441942/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10479225/

You would for that this is a legitimate source wouldn't you?
Old 14-10-2013, 17:38   #133

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rather than look at the popular book, lets look at the actual study that were used that were the basis of the book.

They can be found here
http://www.ctsu.ox.ac.uk/~china/monograph/Intro.htm

Yes THAT Oxford University.

Notable quote from the introduction:

The chief purpose is to describe the wide range of differences between different counties in lifestyles and disease-specific mortality rates in rural China, rather than to analyse differences between counties in search of direct evidence of causes. A few of the "ecological" (i.e. geographic) correlations of particular factors with particular diseases do yield good evidence of causality, but the real importance of this study is purely descriptive: better appreciation of the extraordinarily wide range of lifestyles and of disease rates across different Chinese counties will lead to more specific studies.

In other words it is descriptive and does not emphasize causality. Unlike the unscientific book which comes to some correlative conclusions which are not substantiated.
Old 14-10-2013, 20:56   #134

Quote:
Here are some abstracts which certainly suggest no correlation to cancer rates in omnivore diets...

Vegetarian diets, chronic diseases and - PubMed Mobile

You would for that this is a legitimate source wouldn't you?
I only took on the first one. I'm not sure where cancer is the only important correlation for a vegan diet. But did you actually read the abstracts? Quoted from the first one:

"In vegetarians, a decrease of ischemic heart disease mortality was observed probably due to lower total serum cholesterol levels, lower prevalence of obesity and higher consumption of antioxidants."

"Now, the largest cohort study of diet and health on more than half million of persons, the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study, will bring new data on the relationships between diet, lifestyle and environmental factors and the incidence of cancer, cardiovascular and other chronic diseases."

So this study that you think tears apart the China study comes to the conclusion that vegetarians have a lower rate of heart disease and that another larger study is coming in the future to show more relationships between diet and disease?

I give up - you win.
Old 14-10-2013, 21:05   #135

Quote:
In other words it is descriptive and does not emphasize causality. Unlike the unscientific book which comes to some correlative conclusions which are not substantiated.
The study presented data. That data was then used by other qualified researchers to obtain additional conclusions. Those conclusions can be challenged or verified.

So far, no one has shown any challenge. There's been a lot of "the research shows" bull that means nothing.

Hey - eat what you want. Make up your own conclusions. You can hide a very long time from it all convincing yourself that you just have a way of knowing what's right. Bravo!

Tags
liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: