Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2013, 07:09   #61

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Vegan Liveaboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
Since the early days of rec.food.veg on usenet I think there's been a trans-atlantic culture gap causing some confusion in posts. On the eastern side being vegan is more frequently a purely ethics-led thing. A raw/whole/other health food diet is not necessarily implied. On the western side it seems "vegan" implies a whole set of health-oriented dietary concerns beyond simply "don't use stuff which involved animals in some way". I suspect from both the OP's question and the assumptions replies have made about what was being asked that actually the question was not about how hard is it to be a vegan liveaboard (it's not hard and a heck of a lot easier than being a vegan backpacker) but about the availability of fresh organic produce. Perhaps the OP could clarify and suggest where the intended destination might be? Brighton Marina in west sussex shouldn't be a problem for example, the chagos archipelago might be more of a problem for the vegan eschewing canned and dried products.
I think it's the same definition here in the US as you describe it on "the eastern side". Those of us who are eating this way for health reasons are more intent on a whole-foods plant-based diet (including organic/non-GMO) and also "heart-healthy" diets (low-fat/oils) are a subset of vegans and will often use the term "vegan" to short-cut the conversation. If I may generalize, most of those people are over the age of 50 and are starting to realize self-preservation is the key to staying healthy and off meds, and diet/exercise is a major factor. Then there are vegans who look at this as a moral/ethical issue and I don't know if one can generalize about age with that group, but you can be "vegan" and eat GMO foods, refined sugars and foods laced with additives and chemicals. You could live on a diet of candy and cookies and sweet soft drinks, and be "vegan".
But those of use who fall into the first category find the term "vegan" is recognized in restaurants and labeled processed foods, and it's a way to help zero in on what we're looking for (even if it doesn't take us all the way). Sometimes being practical, since it's not mainstream (or "normal" as Mark puts it) as a matter of convenience and availability we need to bend a bit and eat some foods with ingredients we really prefer to avoid.

BTW -- for those vegans cruising near Jamaica, you should be aware Rastafarians are vegan on moral/religious grounds, and the "Rasta mon" can steer you right.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 07:26   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jaguar View Post
Nice vid. Lol

Yummy snack! I've had problems with bread over the past few years, so I make wraps and even tacos on romaine. Have you heard of thug kitchen? Salty language, but (or is 'and' the better word here?) the food is Delicious!

https://m.facebook.com/thugkitchen?i...369426068&_rdr
Yeah The only problem is I can't get that song out of my head when I'm eating Hummus now. Love having Romaine on board great vehicle for all kinds of spreads.
Old 26-08-2013, 10:51   #63
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I agree with the former posts about the vegan being mostly used as a whole foods health conscious thing. The thing that keeps me away from meat and dairy mostly is the amount of preservatives growth hormones antibiotics pesticides and other chemicals that are stored in animal fat which includes dairy products. The number one and two things on the list of worst polluted foods aka dirty dozen are meat and dairy. There are some pretty polluted fruits and veggies out there too. I read a recent report that tested cilantro in the us and found high amounts of 30 different banned illegal chemicals, as well as the legal soup of insecticide and fungicides that is expected from large scale commercial operations. i consider myself pescatarian vegan if there is such a thing. Cant pass up that fresh caught offshore fish.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 10:58   #64
Armchair Bucketeer

Probably also worth bearing in mind is that a fair few US food stuffs are banned in other countries for health reasons!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 10:59   #65
Armchair Bucketeer

.....and just to give MarkJ nightmares :

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 11:34   #66

WOW! I had no idea my little question would spawn 5 pages of hearty debate and sharing, but this is why I love this forum so. In the interest of sparing you all of a rather lengthy reply quoting various posters, I took the liberty of sending Thanks and commentary to each of you individually.

I WILL say that I don't have any rods up my butt about what will and won't pass my lips in terms of food. I will likely consider fish while at sea. It was just a choice for health reasons, anti-GMO, processing and a few other things. I have lost 20lbs this way and feel more energized than I ever have. I spent the better part of two months educating myself through documentaries and non-gov't funded studies about the food system here in the US and despite feeling like I've always been a well-rounded and mostly healthy eater, it's my estimation that I was falling woefully short and took the bull by the horns. So to speak. Oh, and my husband joined ranks of his own volition...I have not forced, withheld or threatened him into submission in any way.

In any event, my history aside, I am MOST grateful for all the information you all brought to my thread. I grew up in a restaurant and am blessed with keen culinary skills, so that will help in terms of meal planning/provisioning and being creative/inventive enough to make our diets work with what's on hand; fresh greens and things typically stored in a fridge were a concern and how often I'd encounter them in ports.

I love hearing about Sprout systems, as I eat a lot of them and enjoy them immensely. I was also thinking of creative gardening tactics onboard using hydroponics and such to grow what I could, but i know sourcing freshwater might be a tax on the overall system. With that in mind, I'm wondering who "gardens" aboard and how successful they are.

As for blenders, I use a Ninja system, which is insane. Pulverizes fresh raw apples in a matter of seconds. Plastic, which I hate, but has taken a beating thus far in two years of ownership and still kicking. I also have a Breville juicer which cost a small fortune, is stainless and is how I start every day. We make our own sourdough also almost daily and have a whole pantry of Ball jars with dried everything (legumes/grains/nuts/berries) so figuring out how to store something like that will be challenging.

As a jewelry designer by trade, I'm used to thinking outside of the conventional boxes to achieve mastery, so I will treat this endeavor much the same.

Thanks everyone!

~Red
JerseyMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 11:52   #67

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMermaid View Post
WOW! I had no idea my little question would spawn 5 pages of hearty debate and sharing, but this is why I love this forum so. In the interest of sparing you all of a rather lengthy reply quoting various posters, I took the liberty of sending Thanks and commentary to each of you individually.

I WILL say that I don't have any rods up my butt about what will and won't pass my lips in terms of food. I will likely consider fish while at sea. It was just a choice for health reasons, anti-GMO, processing and a few other things. I have lost 20lbs this way and feel more energized than I ever have. I spent the better part of two months educating myself through documentaries and non-gov't funded studies about the food system here in the US and despite feeling like I've always been a well-rounded and mostly healthy eater, it's my estimation that I was falling woefully short and took the bull by the horns. So to speak. Oh, and my husband joined ranks of his own volition...I have not forced, withheld or threatened him into submission in any way.

In any event, my history aside, I am MOST grateful for all the information you all brought to my thread. I grew up in a restaurant and am blessed with keen culinary skills, so that will help in terms of meal planning/provisioning and being creative/inventive enough to make our diets work with what's on hand; fresh greens and things typically stored in a fridge were a concern and how often I'd encounter them in ports.

I love hearing about Sprout systems, as I eat a lot of them and enjoy them immensely. I was also thinking of creative gardening tactics onboard using hydroponics and such to grow what I could, but i know sourcing freshwater might be a tax on the overall system. With that in mind, I'm wondering who "gardens" aboard and how successful they are.

As for blenders, I use a Ninja system, which is insane. Pulverizes fresh raw apples in a matter of seconds. Plastic, which I hate, but has taken a beating thus far in two years of ownership and still kicking. I also have a Breville juicer which cost a small fortune, is stainless and is how I start every day. We make our own sourdough also almost daily and have a whole pantry of Ball jars with dried everything (legumes/grains/nuts/berries) so figuring out how to store something like that will be challenging.

As a jewelry designer by trade, I'm used to thinking outside of the conventional boxes to achieve mastery, so I will treat this endeavor much the same.

Thanks everyone!

~Red
Based on my research....lack of sufficient nutrients causes the brain to release endorphins that convince a person eating certain things will make them healthier and live longer.

For some people a vegan diet does just that...on some people it has NO effect and no effect on longevity.

There is NO conclusive science on either side of the debate and so it will rage on.

My earlier post was just that....two people said the Caribbean is good/bad for vegans...both probably eat that way (vegan) just proves my point...diminished capacity....

Actually I agree that putting man-made chemicals of any kind into our bodies may have a bad effect....unfortunately in many cases you don't know what or how much is gonna get you whether from food or painting your decks.

There are insecticides banned in industrialized countries that can be used by farmer joe in third world countries...or worse...human waste which will kill you many times fasted if you get sick than DDT. What exactly are you buying at those farmers markets while cruisin'????

Most have a lot to learn about life and exposure to a few books and videos made to make money...not make you healthy...is pretty scary to form opinion s on.

For every healthy vegan you show me I can show you someone healthy that is not a vegan...get some science behind the claims (sure I vote McDonalds out of the picture but that's not what I am saying)...and I'll but into a piece of the pie so to speak...

Don't worry, my shipboard girlfriend tries to be vegan and have this same argument so if you think you can win me over better than the woman that shares my bed...good freakin luck!!!!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 12:11   #68
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
How about we send you -- Would you prefer PM or Post here? -- some bean-based goulash and curry recipes?
Me too? You have my email address!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jaguar View Post
Thanks to the OP for the question and this thread!

I'm wondering what type of blender or food processor (if any) you all keep aboard? We are a green smoothie drinkin' and hummus eatin' family.
Our wand ( a local brand, nothing fancy) is awesome. Works on the inverter no probs, and the blade tool made us a HUGE amount of banana smoothies and pancakes when a local gave us a bunch tree of bananas. Plus soups on many occasions. The whisk attachment has been instrumental in my learning how to bake cakes, and the blender tubby thing was used the other day to make my first ever pesto!

One thing about living aboard in an expensive country - I have been experimenting with stuff I never dreamed of before, and it only took a few tries to perfect my bread.

As an aside, we did a 'Come Dine with Me' a few weeks back, and on a riyal ($2.5) per head (with pantry ingredients being free of charge) I made a five course meal - melon balls, sweetcorn soup, sweet & sour chicken with rice, then ice cream and meringue on chocolate brownies followed by coffee. OK, Not all vegan - but kinda shows what you can do if you're willing to experiment!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 12:43   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
... if you think you can win me over better than the woman that shares my bed...good freakin luck!!!!
I'm not here to persuade anyone over to my way of thinking. We all have our opinions based on our own life experiences. My intent was merely to inquire from those sharing those same ideas or even those who don't but still offer valuable on-board knowledge while living/cruising afloat. Sadly, I'm at a notable lack of that, which is something just about everyone here has over me.

I can appreciate your thoughts on the matter, even if I don't agree. I try to keep my mind open to all arguments and make my own decisions about what's best for me. Much obliged!

~Red
JerseyMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 13:45   #70
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

For every healthy vegan you show me I can show you someone healthy that is not a vegan...get some science behind the claims (sure I vote McDonalds out of the picture but that's not what I am saying)...and I'll but into a piece of the pie so to speak...

Don't worry, my shipboard girlfriend tries to be vegan and have this same argument so if you think you can win me over better than the woman that shares my bed...good freakin luck!!!![/QUOTE]

Did you see the title to this post and think Im gonna piss some people off?
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 14:17   #71
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
.....and just to give MarkJ nightmares :
Not at all. I'd wash that crap down with a few beers and then eat a cow from hoof to horn. Very rare with the blood still oooooozing. (Thats just to give vegans et al nightmares)

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 16:10   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post

Don't worry, my shipboard girlfriend tries to be vegan and have this same argument so if you think you can win me over better than the woman that shares my bed...good freakin luck!!!!

Did you see the title to this post and think Im gonna piss some people off? [/QUOTE]

Yep...just like when I go on fuel additive threads and post that it's all snake oil...but people still buy it and buy into it...they have a choice too...

People post into all threads with useless info on both sides of a discussion...if you want facts...well there always those sources out there on the interenet...I know they must be true if someone posted it...

Actually I would have loved the juicer/blender/smoothie maker discussion last years when we were buying. I can relate because I'm halfway a believer...but only halfway...kinda like the facts out there...halfway...
Old 27-08-2013, 09:08   #73

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
For every healthy vegan you show me I can show you someone healthy that is not a vegan...get some science behind the claims
Don't you mean something like "for every healthy vegan you show me I can show you (1/N) healthy people who are not vegan, where N is the proportion of the population who are vegan"? Otherwise someone might challenge you to show them an unhealthy vegan for every unhealthy non-vegan, which frankly would be hard even considering that the figures are likely skewed by the number of people who have adopted a vegan diet because of pre-existing health issues
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 09:23   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
Don't you mean something like "for every healthy vegan you show me I can show you (1/N) healthy people who are not vegan, where N is the proportion of the population who are vegan"? Otherwise someone might challenge you to show them an unhealthy vegan for every unhealthy non-vegan, which frankly would be hard even considering that the figures are likely skewed by the number of people who have adopted a vegan diet because of pre-existing health issues
Pretty much my point...statistics can be skewed anyway you want if the issue is complex enough.

I'll stand by my simplistic....mostly tongue in cheek argument....because nobody can prove one way or the other....that one diet over the other is better...not without so many conditions on the statement that I have never read one thing that could convince me or other rational people I know that one diet over the other is conclusive. So back to smiley faces on the subject...

Now if we are discussing one blender is better than another for smoothies...I'm all over that discussion....
Old 30-08-2013, 14:36   #75
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Came across this today, and thought of you...

WORLD TOUR STORIES Alex and Taru sailing around the world.Travel blog. Lifestyle blog. Sailing blog.: Cooking aboard
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard