Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-07-2013, 12:30   #31
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rayon clothing suitable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Yeah, you get a lot of cooling from a soaked cotton shirt when the humidity is 100%, NOT!!!!! Cotton is good at wicking moisture away from the body but really really bad at evaporating it into the atmosphere. Cotton soaks up moisture and stays wet which is way uncomfortable. Cotton also has the pleasant habit of retaining body odors. Works great for single handers. Oh yes, it's really fun to dry out on a boat when it's washed and even more fun when it's washed in salt water.

The modern synthetics are way better than cotton. They wick moisture away from the body and evaporate it into the air quickly, very cool. A synthetic T shirt will dry in minutes when hung on the life lines. For those with crew members or who aren't antisocial, they don't retain odors.

Bought a synthetic long sleeved T shirt from a company called Dry UV, I think, to see if their claims for comfort were real. Wanted long sleeve because the skin on my forearms has taken a beating from the sun and needs protection. The shirt has proved to be very comfortable to wear, in fact, more comfortable than not wearing a shirt at all. Have bought 4 more to wear all the time.

There are synthetics and then there are synthetics. Used to referee soccer back in the days of all black uniforms. My first uniform was a synthetic that didn't breathe well. Not very comfortable to wear as it didn't transport moisture well and wouldn't let air flow through. Moved on to a synthetic that breathes and transports moisture and, even though black, the shirt was like wearing air conditioning.

For those of you sticking with cotton clothing, assume you still have cotton sails on a gaff rig.

Oh, this thread was about Rayon. Rayon doesn't breathe and not sure about it's wicking qualities. Have found it sticks to me when I get hot and sweaty. It is also rather fragile as others have pointed out. If you like loud aloha shirts and I do, there is nothing better as it really soaks up the dyes but that's strictly for appearance not comfort.
Most folk find 1/3rd perspiration, 1/3rd Paco Rabane and 1/3rd THC quite a sexy smell... or so they tell me...
Naturally... if its a guy I recommend a bar I Don't use...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:34   #32

Re: Rayon clothing suitable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Rayon doesn't breathe and not sure about it's wicking qualities. Have found it sticks to me when I get hot and sweaty. It is also rather fragile as others have pointed out. If you like loud aloha shirts and I do, there is nothing better as it really soaks up the dyes but that's strictly for appearance not comfort.
Agreed. Rayon is not the best choice (though I do like Hawaiian shirts). But there are other synthetics that breathe well and wick moisture to provide cooling evaporation.

Again, lumping all synthetics together, as if they are all the same, is a huge mistake. It is a bit like lumping all sailboats together, as if there is no meaningful difference between a Westsail 32 and an AC72.

Tags
clothing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: